Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    good point. no i didn't do that. I did try to enter the esc character but couldn't figure it out without using gbasic and chr$. Hey that might be a good thought, use gw basic to make a program for it. So I will try that and see what happens with the proper keys pressed and report back. thanks. I just copied the example that I saw and pasted it into word. That was the wrong way so nobody try that. I will do as you suggest and it will probably work.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    how do you input serial number

A simple way to get those characters is to sent a PCL print-to-file. Then open the resulting print-to-file in an application like TextPad, and you can delete all the unnecessary stuff, and retain the special characters that you can't type on an ASCII keyboard.

Another approach is to download a free version of XVI32 Hex Editor. Each special character is encoded so you can type in the parallel screen. I know that sounds confusing. It will make more sense when you see it.

Alternatively, you can just cut/paste the text from his attached txt file. Remember, you need to edit the text to indicate the desired serial number.

The forum seems to be unable to hold the null characters.
    Does that help?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 06-17-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: speeling problmes
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    cut and paste didn't work, I am writing a gwbasic program as we speak to just send the info to the printer. I am only writing it for the serial number. If it works I can add other stuff later. I can just send it to the lpt port. I should be finished with it shortly. The program will ask for serial number then ask if it is correct, then press a button and you have it. Simple enough.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    so far no luck using an HP4000 as a test machine. I tried the text file attachment too. I tried my gwbasic program with no luck. It did send it to the printer. I will re examine and try and figure out why it doesn't work. I also tried "set" and "default" even tried "enter". Eventually it will happen, still working on it. Thanks for all the info.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: how do you input serial number

I have succeeded in changing the serial number and page count finally. Test machine was an HP 4000. I did this with using my PC not the display on the printer. Since my home computer is running windows 7 it is a bit harder. I am writing a program now as I speak to do this using visual c#. When I did it I used ms-dos editor. worked like a charm. The hard part is getting the escape character to print. open the ms-dos editor press control-p then let go and then press the esc key. then type in the rest of the code as was given here earlier. Then just send it to your printer as a text file. Save your editor file as a text file for instance printer.txt. The program I am writing will ask for serial number, page count etc then do all the work for you. Trying to make my life easier. At least now you know how to do it. Yes it has taken me this long to figure it out. Oh do not try the cut and paste method, doesn't work. If you think you can cut and paste into word, or notepad,forget it, wont work. It encodes the esc key differently where it looks like a small square. It has to look like an arrow symbol.
    Last edited by yourownfree; 11-26-2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: clarify

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    how do you input serial number

That is why I suggested Textpad or HVI32. Both can properly display null characters.

Congratulations on your success. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

yeah but I am one tool short in the tool shed. I didn't understand. It was a mystery. Not any more though. I remember trying one of those but I didn't even understand how to get it to work. It was the hex one I think. I am making easier for me as I wont even remember how to do what I did now. So if I make an easy button program I wont have to think. My brain is melting, I'm melting....
    Thanks for the help, as I am sure it motivated me to make it work somehow. Once you do it it is easy, but if you haven't it is one tough cookie.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I have created a program that can change the serial numbers and page counts for me. I turned it into an executable program. It is windows based GUI. Very simple procedure. I enter the correct serial number press the button on the windows program and a selection of printers become available, I choose one and click ok and that's it. Same for the page count. No coding needed. That way I don't have to try and remember what keys I need to push. So far it has worked on every HP I have tried it on. The 4000/4050 the 1320,2015,1200 and a 1300. It will work with parallel, Ethernet or USB. Parallel is better as all you have to do is hook up to it, set the printer driver to LPT1 press the change serial button and your done. With it hooked up to parallel it can be done in less than 15 seconds.I do want to thank all of you for your support and ideas. I am wondering if I should sell my new program for those who do not want to do it the hard way with dos commands and printer job language. I don't know what the price should be. Like the price of a parts or service manual or is it worth more? Should I put restrictions on it such as passwords so it will only work for the person I sell it to? The person can give me the password and I could write it in the program. I am working on an updated program that will return the configuration page info without printing it off, that way one can have it automatically be saved with your invoice data, and keep track of your printers you work on. If one was to go down all you would have to do is go to your database and reload it, serial,page count, configuration etc. So the person who would purchase the original program I would up date theirs to the pro model for an addition fee. Hey I have to make money somehow, I am not making any money working on printers. Do you think I am wrong for wanting to do this? If you want to do it manually without the program then all you need to do is read the answers on this post to learn how. I received some great answers, which I am grateful for as I was able to do it manually. thanks for the help.

bigbird8

I need to input a serial number for these machines, HP LJ 1200, p2015, and 1320. I am told HP toolbox.
    Which is as far as I know just the embedded server. I didn't see anywhere where I can change it when I was looking at the 2015 or the 1320. So how is this done? I had replaced the formatter boards.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The best way to start is to read this post from page one. You have to use an editor as mentioned in this thread. you can use ms edit if you are lucky enough to have one. To find out go to your command prompt in your dos screen and type the word edit then press enter. If it comes up then you will need to type the commands in there and then save the file. you will also need to place the serial number or page count in the commands as well. Then you have to send the file to your printer. It is a real pain in the head to do so. I would have to look up the commands, don't know off top of my head, but I think I saw them here in the thread. I am not selling my easy program yet. I need to come up with a price and add some security. Not only the serial number do you change but the the page count if you have the old count. To change the page count
    ←%-12345X@PJL SET SERVICEMODE=HPBOISEID
    @PJL SET PAGES=XXXXXXXXXX
    @PJL SET SERIALNUMBER=XXXXXXXXXX
    @PJL SET SERVICEMODE=EXIT
    @PJL RESET
    ←%-12345X

change the xxxxx to your serial number. if you dont want to change the page count just remove the line. The left arrow is the escape character which is the tough one to make. I uploaded a file for you, but even though it is all there it wont work i tried it. you have to make a new file using an editor. If you have dos edit press control P then let go then press the escape character. that will give you the arrow then continue on with the other text exactly. Then send the file to your printer. The first time I did it I sent it using ethernet. I used a couple of dos commands to do it. lpr -S ipaddress -P direct -d serial.txt Or you will have to figure out how to do it for USB or LPT1. looks easy but unless you get the character code 27 in there, the arrow, it wont work. It will just print out the file instead of just process silently. Now you know why I wrote a program that just ask's you for the serial number, you select the printer and press print and your done. For proof I have uploaded a pic of the interface of my program.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files