Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Updating fw via ftp

We've traditionally installed new fw via USB, but want to move across to using ftp.

I've got a test machine in front of me (c454e) and we've created an ftp server that is (or appears to be) working. FTP server has no firewall/av for testing purposes, and we can access the files within it across the network without needing to log in (set to anonymous authentication, and Everyone and Anonymous is set as a security permission with read access).

I've created a .tar of the fw using the bat file in the firmware download, and placed that tar file in the root of the ftp.

My service mode settings are as follows:

Service Mode
    Machine Update Settings
    Internet ISW

Internet ISW Set
    Function Setting = ON
    Open Mode Setting = ON

FTP Setting
    Data Aqcuisition Setting = ON
    Connection Setting
    Port = 21
    Connection Time Out = 1min
    PASV Mode = OFF

Forwarding Access Setting
    User ID = blank
    PW = blank
    URL = my ftp server
    Filename = name of .tar file created by bat file in download

When I go to the Download section and click Download, I get an NG message (no error codes). When I attempt to download via
    "Admin mode -> Network -> Machine Update Settings -> Internet ISW Settings -> FTP Server Setting ->
    Firmware Update Parameters" I see it says Failed in the Firmware Download Status box after I click Firmware Download.

Do I also need to set proxy setting for FTP in "Admin mode -> Network -> Machine Update Settings -> Internet ISW Settings -> FTP Server Setting" via a browser? I've tried both with the proxy server address entered here and left blank here, but I get NG when

I've tried switching basic authentication on in iis on my win10 machine and using an account name and password (which allows me to log into the ftp from other PCs using my credentials), and tried with it off (allowing a completely anonymous login - no credentials required), but both result in NG in the Download section.

Copier is on a static IP, ftp appears to be OK, wondering what else I can look at to get this working. Does anyone use FTP to update the fw on these machines?

Technician
    Updating fw via ftp

Re: Updating fw via ftp

Quote Originally Posted by pez View Post
    We've traditionally installed new fw via USB, but want to move across to using ftp.

I've got a test machine in front of me (c454e) and we've created an ftp server that is (or appears to be) working. FTP server has no firewall/av for testing purposes, and we can access the files within it across the network without needing to log in (set to anonymous authentication, and Everyone and Anonymous is set as a security permission with read access).

I've created a .tar of the fw using the bat file in the firmware download, and placed that tar file in the root of the ftp.

My service mode settings are as follows:

Service Mode
    Machine Update Settings
    Internet ISW

Internet ISW Set
    Function Setting = ON
    Open Mode Setting = ON

FTP Setting
    Data Aqcuisition Setting = ON
    Connection Setting
    Port = 21
    Connection Time Out = 1min
    PASV Mode = OFF

Forwarding Access Setting
    User ID = blank
    PW = blank
    URL = my ftp server
    Filename = name of .tar file created by bat file in download

When I go to the Download section and click Download, I get an NG message (no error codes). When I attempt to download via
    "Admin mode -> Network -> Machine Update Settings -> Internet ISW Settings -> FTP Server Setting ->
    Firmware Update Parameters" I see it says Failed in the Firmware Download Status box after I click Firmware Download.

Do I also need to set proxy setting for FTP in "Admin mode -> Network -> Machine Update Settings -> Internet ISW Settings -> FTP Server Setting" via a browser? I've tried both with the proxy server address entered here and left blank here, but I get NG when

I've tried switching basic authentication on in iis on my win10 machine and using an account name and password (which allows me to log into the ftp from other PCs using my credentials), and tried with it off (allowing a completely anonymous login - no credentials required), but both result in NG in the Download section.

Copier is on a static IP, ftp appears to be OK, wondering what else I can look at to get this working. Does anyone use FTP to update the fw on these machines?

Interested on this too.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Updating fw via ftp

Quote Originally Posted by feracampos View Post
    Interested on this too.
    I had it working once, have not used it because ftp is extremly unsafe even as a local server. The ftp protocol is nearly 40 years old and even Microsoft tries to stop using it by now, the same company that uses their printer spooling mechanism since XP.
    I'll give it a little try tomorrow and see if i can dig up my documentation to do this.
    There are safer ways than ftp tho

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Updating fw via ftp

What OS are you running? Windows 10 built-in firewall disables ftp requests by default. May need to make sure that ftp traffic is permitted.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Updating fw via ftp

Quote Originally Posted by JasonSBE View Post
    What OS are you running? Windows 10 built-in firewall disables ftp requests by default. May need to make sure that ftp traffic is permitted.
    OS of the computer is a mute issue as he is talking about sending firmware by FTP to a KM c454e. IMHO it is an extremely bad idea. The amount of damage that a hacker can do by accessing that FTP server is unlimited, and that includes using it as a backdoor into your entire network.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Updating fw via ftp

try setting credentials instead of leaving it blank.

we used to always use credentials but i havent bothered using it for many years as was really only used instead of CF cards.

I seem to recall retrying it on the 8 series but since firmware isnt just a single TAR file anymore i wasnt sure what to point it to so gave up

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Updating fw via ftp

Smile Re: Updating fw via ftp

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    OS of the computer is a mute issue as he is talking about sending firmware by FTP to a KM c454e. IMHO it is an extremely bad idea. The amount of damage that a hacker can do by accessing that FTP server is unlimited, and that includes using it as a backdoor into your entire network.
    Finally someone here who understands the risk of having a ftp server in your network even locally... ILY

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Updating fw via ftp

How is the OS an moot issue? The computer is where the firmware file is transmitted. Therefore, the OS that computer is running is relevant. And yes, FTP is not a safe method of updating firmware if you're doing it across a network, but you can still setup a FTP server a computer, and plug it directly into the MFP with a patch cable, and put manual network settings on both the MFP and the PC and update using internet ISW via FTP. I did it all the time on the old C353/C253/C203 systems because we had a lot of issue getting CF cards that would work.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Updating fw via ftp

Quote Originally Posted by JasonSBE View Post
    The computer is where the firmware file is transmitted.
    He was not talking about send to the computer, he was talking about sending firmware from the computer to the copier. A free FTP client is built into nearly every OS and can be accessed from the command line in any Microsoft OS.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Updating fw via ftp

He was not talking about send to the computer, he was talking about sending firmware from the computer to the copier. A free FTP client is built into nearly every OS and can be accessed from the command line in any Microsoft OS.
    Yes. The file is TRANSMITTED from the computer. Ergo, if the computer is running windows 10 or possibly even 8 and definitely 11, he should check the firewall settings.