• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • giddyupngo
    Trusted Tech

100+ Posts
    • Oct 2014

Driving Tired!

Hey, I get really tired while driving, short breaks help, caffeine doesn't. Service calls pretty far apart. Anybody have any tips/strategies?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
  • LNorris
    Senior Tech

500+ Posts
    • Sep 2008

Re: Driving Tired!

I used to do that until i got tested for sleep apnea. things are alot better now.

Comment

• driving lots of miles
      Trusted Tech

250+ Posts
      • Jun 2016

I found that chewing gum helps too.

Comment

• blackcat4866
        Master Of The Obvious

Site Contributor
        10,000+ Posts
        • Jul 2007

Try to get 6 to 7 hours of sleep per night, more on the weekends.

If you're becoming a walking zombie, and you're face starts to tingle, pull off of the road, and take a 30 minute nap. It's better than wrecking the car ... again.

Beyond a certain point, stimulants, caffeine, cold air (like driving with the windows wide open), and slapping yourself, will not help, even for a few minutes. This is the voice of experience. =^..^=
        If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
        1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
        2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
        3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
        4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
        5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Comment

• nmfaxman
          Service Manager

Site Contributor
          1,000+ Posts
          • Feb 2008

Stop driving stoned. LOL
          Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Comment

• brewster67
            Trusted Tech

Site Contributor
            100+ Posts
            • Jul 2011

I've found that listening to audio books helps me from zoning out on long drives.

Comment

• Iowatech
              Not a service manager

2,500+ Posts
              • Dec 2009

You could play energetic music while driving. This is probably outdated now, but I found this useful back in the day:

Or if you don't like that type of music you might consider something like this:

That might be a bad idea though, if you ever get into the beat too much it can end stupidly.

Comment

• KenB
                Geek Extraordinaire

2,500+ Posts
                • Dec 2007

Feeling sleepy?

There's a nap for that.

Seriously, though, I have never been shy about taking short (maybe 20 minute or so) naps when I get to that point. It's just not worth the risk.

Not just anywhere though; roadside parks, highway rest areas, and the like. NEVER in a customer's parking lot, no matter how minuscule the chance they may see you.

I'm sure stopping somewhere and going for a walk would be a healthier, smarter solution, but not always possible, especially in crummy weather.
                “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Comment

• jonhiker
                  Senior Tech

500+ Posts
                  • Apr 2010

i find a short nap or a short stroll of even a few blocks helps. instead of music, sometimes I listen to talk radio.

Comment

• ZOOTECH
                    Senior member of CRS

Site Contributor
                    2,500+ Posts
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by KenB

There's a nap for that.
                    Was that a "nap" or "app"?
                    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Comment

• NeoMatrix
                      Senior Tech.

2,500+ Posts
                      • Nov 2010

{Warning long rant ahead...}

Why I believe normal healthy, rested people get tired from travel.

The EMF Effect :
                      Iron binds with oxygen help to carry oxygen around the body and brain.
                      While driving, and more so while flying, people suffer from jet lag.
                      With any travel the human body is racing through the magnetic field of the earth at speed. The iron in your body is micro-vibrating from racing through the earths magnetic field,and therefore not binding iron-oxygen to carry sufficent supplies of oxygen around the body.Obviously, a lack of sufficient oxygen will make any person tire very quickly. Is this non-binding iron-oxygen effect the real cause of jet-lag ?

I've noticed a similar jet lag effect from people working long hours, then drive long hours along side high power electrical lines. I believe the magnetic field of the high tension lines micro-vibrates their body iron-oxygen, while possibly further generating localised static/electricity build up in plastics/metals of the moving vehicle. The affect of that is, that those people driving begin to feel jet lagged. Those same jet lag tired people begin to fall asleep at the wheel, and some with fatal consequences. There have be numerous people involved in fatal single vehicle accidences here in our location in CQ.

The common factor I've noticed is that they are driving along the road next to HV electrical power lines.Add in additional factors like vehicle plastic/vinyles static electricity, EMF pollution from FM Radio, mobile phone towers forcing who knows what chemical changes through a persons body water while they drive.

Static HV and fatigue:
                      Other factors to concider include static electricity build up in all the plastics and vinyles of new vehicles. In my youth I had a relative that would purchase a new vehicle every 12-18 months. On short journies out of town my childhood cousins would always complain of feeling tired and become car sick with vomiting soon after. By chance the uncle explained the childrens car sickness problem to an associate. The associate instructed my uncle to remove the static electricity from the vehicle by placing a grounding static strap from the metal frame of the vehicle down to the ground. As the car travelled along, the static strap would randomly touch the ground and remove HV static charge off the car. My very sceptical Uncle purchased a static strap and placed it on the vehicle. To his surprise, and in his own words, the children never got tired or car sick ever again.

The above observations are just that. I have no information that correlates to any real findings.

If people are normal and don't suffer from any health issues, have normal sleeping patterns,then there is no reason for people to fall asleep at the wheel. One reason for getting abnormally tired, your blood iron levels might be low, or maybe the vehicle is brand new causing HV static build up in the vehicle. I don't rightly know.

Things I've done to help drive long hours (mainly at night):
                      I've place a proper commerical grade static strap on my vehicle, to remove HV static off the vehicle and passengers. Where possible reduced all external an internal cabin light glare. I've done this by reducing all the lights from the dash board down to almost off. Redirect reversing mirrors off kilter just a tad so that rear traffic headlights do not cause glare an eye strain. I've noticed if my head becomes warm (from the internal heater) that I soon become tired. If my head starts to warm, I wind the window down just a fraction, to keep the top of my head cool. I drink a cold drink like Coca Cola, with small amounts of caffine. I've also heard that chewing on ice cubes can do the same to keep the blood in your head cool, and help with fatigue while making the long haul.
                      Now I'm older so I offen take a break with a wee-stop,have a cup of coffee and something to eat.

In my younger years one of my worst cases of fatal fatigue came after I did a straight through 48 hour shift in two vehicles.I became so lost in fatigue that I stopped the vehicle at 1-2am in the morning, got out, and jogged up the road for 5 mins, and then return back to the vehicle to finish the remaining 3 of 10 hour drive.
                      Last edited by NeoMatrix; 05-03-2017, 04:20 AM.
                      Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
                      •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Comment

• ZOOTECH
                        Senior member of CRS

Site Contributor
                        2,500+ Posts
                        • Jul 2007

Time for the 'tin foil' hat, my friend.
                        You may need some rest/vacation.
                        "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Comment

• NeoMatrix
                          Senior Tech.

2,500+ Posts
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ZOOTECH
                          Time for the 'tin foil' hat, my friend.
                          You may need some rest/vacation.

Just got back from a break...

Feeling top of the world....

The Tin foil hat is interesting...

Been getting random emails saying some of my email accounts have attempted accessed while I was on holidays miles away.

Tin foil hat or not.....
                          Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
                          •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Comment

• BLADE
                            former propeller tester

250+ Posts
                            • Dec 2009

try rubbing your ears

Comment

• theengel
                              Service Manager

1,000+ Posts
                              • Nov 2011

There's just no substitute for sleep.

I do pretty long drives. I'm usually fine in the mornings... even with 4 hours of sleep. But on the way home, I get hit with serious sleepy. I usually find a parking lot and take a 10 - 20 minute nap.

Comment

Working...