Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SalesServiceGuy
    Field Supervisor

Site Contributor
    5,000+ Posts
    • Dec 2009

Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

Hurricane Katrina, Superstorm Sandy, the largest ice shelf in history breaking off of Antarctica, Hurricane Harvey and now the approaching Hurricane Irma causes Florida to declare a state of emergency.

An overwhelming number of scientists and governments from around the world think these weather events are the result of human global activity. A very small number of powerful US politicians dispute science.

Are these intense weather storms natural or caused by global warming?

For those copier techs who live in Texas, what is your opinion and how has it effected your business?
  • slimslob
    Retired

Site Contributor
    25,000+ Posts
    • May 2013

Re: Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

Comment

• SalesServiceGuy
      Field Supervisor

Site Contributor
      5,000+ Posts
      • Dec 2009

John Coleman (born October 15, 1934) is an American TV weatherman and founder of The Weather Channel.

Coleman says he became an "outspoken skeptic" of global warming in 2007 after watching NBC's 'Green is Universal' week, where the studio lights were cut for portions of Sunday Night Football's pre-game and half-time shows.[7] He has called climate change the "greatest scam in history," and has claimed that "the polar ice is increasing, not melting away. Polar bears are increasing in number."[8][9] Critics of Coleman have pointed out that each of these claims is wrong or misleading,[10] questioned his lack of academic credentials, and note that he has not conducted any scientific research in the area of climate change.[11]

Comment

• theengel
        Service Manager

1,000+ Posts
        • Nov 2011

Some people will swallow anything fed to them, without questioning it at all.

The results of three recently-released studies that were not included in the last IUCN Red List assessment add more than 2,050 bears (on average)1 to the official 2015 global polar bear estimate, a…

Greed and power hunger keep these 'predictions' alive.

I'm not sure why a hurricane is the result of climate change. They happen. They've always happened.

I like how natural disasters are so quickly attributed to man. When the science behind the claims is challenged in any way, we get the minimizing replies that we're just idiots who don't believe in science. But the further you dig, the more you realize there is little if any science behind the claims. Just as there was ZERO science behind the claim that we were making holes in the ozone layer.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to that claim? It stands to reason that if ozone is what causes the sun's rays to heat, and we have less ozone, then the earth would be cooling... not heating. I guess that interfered with their other bogus claims.

Sigh...

Comment

• copyman
          Owner / Technician

Site Contributor
          2,500+ Posts
          • Sep 2005

NO, I don't believe climate change is real and caused by man. If it is real it is very minimal. There have been bad hurricanes, storms, etc since the beginning of earth! I've been waiting years for prediction that NJ will have Fl weather. I was hoping not to have to move and have warm weather all year round. Looks like I may still have to move if I want warm weather because prediction never came true!

I'm more worried about running out of space for trash. I try and do my part for recycling toner cartridges, etc.

Comment

• rthonpm
            Field Supervisor

2,500+ Posts
            • Aug 2007

Whether climate change is causing stronger storms or not, it does stand to reason that you can't just pump waste (exhaust, heavy metals, etc) into the air and not have some kind of effect. Most of what's presented in the media on both sides of the discussion are more or less oversimplified versions of where the research is going, which is no different than anything covered in the media.

It makes sense to plan for the worst (DOD has already begun to plan for potential issues with global warming in terms of potential conflicts), and many coastal cities are already improving their building codes and growth planning. Just look at how poor city planning and sprawl made the flooding worse in Houston.

Comment

• SalesServiceGuy
              Field Supervisor

Site Contributor
              5,000+ Posts
              • Dec 2009

When presented with sweeping evidence in 2016 that Houston was a "sitting duck" for the next big hurricane, the former head of the Harris County Flood Control District dismissed the report, saying scientists "have an agenda" and that "their agenda to protect the environment overrides common sense."

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/day6/episode-353-hurricane-harvey-ethereum-vs-bitcoin-techno-tourism-in-detroit-the-outsiders-at-50-and-more-1.4267404/houston-officials-were-warned-they-had-a-problem-they-didn-t-listen-1.4267429

Brody's research found that decades of unchecked development in and around Houston had left the water with nowhere to go.
              Houston was founded on a swamp in the 1830s. The city is built low and flat along coastal bayous, and has always struggled with flooding.
              But there was a natural buffer that kept the worst at bay: Prairie grasslands, which absorbed water in almost supernatural quantities. The problem is Houston has spent decades paving over those grasslands and building strip malls.
              Houston is the fourth-largest city in the U.S. and home to NASA and the Johnson Space Center. This is the city that put a man on the moon, but many now describe it as a concrete island floating on top of a swamp.

The economic impact will be jarring for the entire country. By some estimates, this disaster will cost $190 billion. That would make it the costliest disaster in U.S. history, surpassing the costs of both hurricanes Katrina ($123 billion) and Sandy ($60 billion.)

Comment

• slimslob
                Retired

Site Contributor
                25,000+ Posts
                • May 2013

Originally posted by SalesServiceGuy
                Brody's research found that decades of unchecked development in and around Houston had left the water with nowhere to go.
                Houston was founded on a swamp in the 1830s. The city is built low and flat along coastal bayous, and has always struggled with flooding.
                But there was a natural buffer that kept the worst at bay: Prairie grasslands, which absorbed water in almost supernatural quantities. The problem is Houston has spent decades paving over those grasslands and building strip malls.
                Houston is the fourth-largest city in the U.S. and home to NASA and the Johnson Space Center. This is the city that put a man on the moon, but many now describe it as a concrete island floating on top of a swamp.

Though all this might be true, it is a matter of lousy disaster planning, similar to that in New Orleans. It still has nothing to do with global climate change.

The economic impact will be jarring for the entire country. By some estimates, this disaster will cost $190 billion. That would make it the costliest disaster in U.S. history, surpassing the costs of both hurricanes Katrina ($123 billion) and Sandy ($60 billion.)

Comment

• Copier Addict
                  Aging Tech

Site Contributor
                  10,000+ Posts
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by theengel

Speaking of which, whatever happened to that claim? It stands to reason that if ozone is what causes the sun's rays to heat, and we have less ozone, then the earth would be cooling... not heating. I guess that interfered with their other bogus claims.

Sigh...
                  The ozone layer protects us by reducing UVB rays from the sun. One of the reasons we don't hear much about it anymore is because CFCs have been banned. CFCs were causing the ozone layer to deteriorate. It was a man caused problem that was remedied by govt. intervention. It is now slowly healing itself.

Comment

• Copier Addict
                    Aging Tech

Site Contributor
                    10,000+ Posts
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by slimslob
                    I'm kinda on the fence about "man made" climate change, but that video has so many holes in that I used it to strain my spaghetti. Lol

Comment

• theengel
                      Service Manager

1,000+ Posts
                      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by copier addict
                      The ozone layer protects us by reducing UVB rays from the sun. One of the reasons we don't hear much about it anymore is because CFCs have been banned. CFCs were causing the ozone layer to deteriorate. It was a man caused problem that was remedied by govt. intervention. It is now slowly healing itself.
                      As the ultraviolet rays pass through the 'ozone layer', they become warm. A very rudimentary understanding of the chemical process will show you that the entire ozone layer scare was nothing but a hoax.

How old are you rthonpm?

Comment

• gneebore
                        Senior Tech

500+ Posts
                        • Feb 2010

As the ultraviolet rays pass through the 'ozone layer', they become warm. A very rudimentary understanding of the chemical process will show you that the entire ozone layer scare was nothing but a hoax.

How old are you rthonpm?
                        May as well give up with trying to get copieraddict to actually react in a state of reality. He's firmly convinced the global warming hoax is real. There have been quite a few times when the global warming community has presented data that is altered and data that contradicts their holy grail are thrown out. Heck they were claiming that by 2015 the melting glacial ice would flood coastal regions everywhere. Funny I live in an area where inhabited parts of the city are actually below sea level. Nope no ocean where it hasn't been for centuries, Yes there are house and buildings in downtown that have been there for centuries.

Heck he posted in another thread his proof about global warming how temperatures in Ohio were the highest average in I think a century. But strangely never did answer when I pointed out that the polar ice cap had receded so much in 1905 Raoul Admunsen sailed through on a northwest passage route. Yes sailed through in a sailing vessel and not an steam ship.

A recent fact so beloved by the whacko brigades as proof was a mine was exposed by receding glaciers in Switzerland, Ah yes a receding glacier proves man made global warming is fact. Only if the receding glacier is proof of global warming then what does it say about the fact that there was a mine with mining equipment made by humans several hundreds years old.

Comment

• Copier Addict
                          Aging Tech

Site Contributor
                          10,000+ Posts
                          • Jul 2013

How old are you rthonpm?
                          I am not trying to be confrontational, but I have been unable to find any information concerning the ozone layer and heating of the earth. The depletion of the ozone layer is pretty well documented, and since the banning of CFCs the hole over Antarctica has stopped growing.

Comment

• Copier Addict
                            Aging Tech

Site Contributor
                            10,000+ Posts
                            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by gneebore
                            May as well give up with trying to get copieraddict to actually react in a state of reality. He's firmly convinced the global warming hoax is real. There have been quite a few times when the global warming community has presented data that is altered and data that contradicts their holy grail are thrown out. Heck they were claiming that by 2015 the melting glacial ice would flood coastal regions everywhere. Funny I live in an area where inhabited parts of the city are actually below sea level. Nope no ocean where it hasn't been for centuries, Yes there are house and buildings in downtown that have been there for centuries.

Heck he posted in another thread his proof about global warming how temperatures in Ohio were the highest average in I think a century. But strangely never did answer when I pointed out that the polar ice cap had receded so much in 1905 Raoul Admunsen sailed through on a northwest passage route. Yes sailed through in a sailing vessel and not an steam ship.

A recent fact so beloved by the whacko brigades as proof was a mine was exposed by receding glaciers in Switzerland, Ah yes a receding glacier proves man made global warming is fact. Only if the receding glacier is proof of global warming then what does it say about the fact that there was a mine with mining equipment made by humans several hundreds years old.
                            Sorry, Greenbore, you seem to have me confused with someone else. theengle and I were discussing the ozone layer, not global warming.
                            Plus, I haven't mentioned anything about Ohio. In this post or any other. If I have, please direct me to it and I will beg for your forgiveness.

Comment

• ZOOTECH
                              Senior member of CRS

Site Contributor
                              2,500+ Posts
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by slimslob
                              Originally posted by ZOOTECH
                              Originally posted by ZOOTECH
                              Tim, I've seen John Coleman's video numerous times; from what I remember, his video was sponsored by the petroleum industry. Here is a link (although from the Wash. Post) that shows an 'alternate view' of his video.
                              htt ps://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/11/03/why-does-anyone-pay-attention-to-john-coleman-weather-channel-co-founder-on-climate-change/?utm_term=.10df376b194a
                              I hope you review this video, as I have done with yours.
                              Everything that one believes can be 'shot down' or embellished to prove a point; both sides of the isle need to step back, and break down the walls that have been built up and come to some sort of compromise, rather than 'my way or the highway'.
                              JMHO
                              Regards, Paul T
                              This was from 4 days ago in response to your John Coleman's video.
                              I haven't checked, but I hope the link works.
                              "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Comment

Working...