MP301- SD card restoration is required

We were going to replace a controller in an account with 1 from a machine in our office.

The machine in our office has a HDD in it.

We had their controller in our machine here and it had a SC670 I think...we put our original controller back in our
    machine before going anywhere and now it says SD card restoration is required. (I believe the original machine had
    a SC878 code)

I thought I made a restore key folder to clear it properly but when I put it in the machine the message doesn't clear.

I tried slot 1 and slot 2.

I made a restore_key folder on a sd card. Then did a nvram_key.text file with nvclear as the text. Put it in slot 2 and nothing changed.

The machine in our office has all of its original boards in it and was fine before we started f'ing with it. Is there something I missed?

I tried putting in a regular firmware sd card but the SD card restoration always appears. Turned it on with all the covers open, same thing.

Re: MP301- SD card restoration is required

update sort of...

I looked at a MP6001 thread that mentioned using a Ricoh sd card. I found one that said fax address that was like 14MB.

I put the same files on there. This time I did see a NVRAM clear or initialize message on start. However I also noticed the text
    file I created had automatically capitlalized the N in nvclear. I saved it as nvclear too. Not sure which one was the difference or
    both.

getting a SC670 code now though (With HDD connected and not connected) using original board

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Encryption recovery steps to use are machine dependent, older vs. newer. See bottom for additional thoughts.

---------

On 'older' encrypted machines follow below to force clear encryption (or perform recovery if the key is available):

1) Freshly formatted SD card, completely blank. I like to use the SD Association formatted and do a full overwrite.

2) Create a directory named:

restore_key

3) Create a text file in the newly created 'restore_key' directory named:

nvram_key.txt

Note that you do not add the .txt to the file name if you are hiding known file extensions in your file browser, you will end up with a file named nvram_key.txt.txt that WILL NOT work.

4) Edit the newly created nvram_key.txt file to contain the text string:

nvclear

Note here there must be no additional carriage returns - do not hit return / enter, you will create a new line and the file WILL NOT work. If you have the encryption key and are attempting recovery enter the text string of the encryption key instead.

5) Insert the card in the service slot (2) and start up the machine. When the normal screen appears, shut down and remove the card.

----------

On newer machines the format and naming are different:

1) Freshly formatted SD card, completely blank. I like to use the SD Association formatted and do a full overwrite.

2) Create a directory named:

restore_key

3) Inside the newly created 'restore_key' directory, create another directory named the same as the target machines serial number (example only):

A12BC345678

4) Create a text file inside the newly created 'serial number' folder named in the format key_serialnumber.txt (example only):

key_A12BC345678.txt

Note that you do not add the .txt to the file name if you are hiding known file extensions in your file browser, you will end up with a file named key_serialnumber.txt.txt that WILL NOT work.

5) Edit the newly created key_serialnumber.txt file to contain the text string:

nvclear

Note here there must be no additional carriage returns - do not hit return / enter, you will create a new line and the file WILL NOT work. If you have the encryption key and are attempting recovery enter the text string of the encryption key instead.

6) Insert the card in the service slot (2) and start up the machine. When the normal screen appears, shut down and remove the card.

----------

Other issues that may prevent recovery:

Using a controller that was in a different machine may be an issue due to a serial number mismatch.

Having a differing hardware configuration may present an issue, i.e. one machine having a hard drive and the other not.

In general avoid swapping boards, you may end up with more headaches than you solve. Also, unless insisted upon by a client don't encrypt machines. Controller issues are much more difficult to resolve when encryption is applied.
    Last edited by zed255; 02-26-2019 at 12:07 AM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

You did not by chance power down and remove a JAVA SD card without stopping JAVA in User Tools? If you did, both the controller and the JAVA card are toast.

Never damaged Java or controller just powering down and removing the card as necessary. Was even instructed on product training that though stopping Java first is best practise it is not likely to cause issues.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    Never damaged Java or controller just powering down and removing the card as necessary. Was even instructed on product training that though stopping Java first is best practise it is not likely to cause issues.
    But has been known to do so.

I have NEVER been able to successfully do an SD card restoration on an encrypted machine.
    Followed all the steps and it has NEVER worked for me.
    To get around it you have to replace controller,HDD and NVRAM and yes...it blows away the counters.
    I hate when encrypted machines fall over these days

Oze, that sucks. I have had a couple fail to restore and had to cleared instead, but only perhaps two devices where hardware had to be changed.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

After I posted the update about getting the SD card message to go away, I fooled around with the machine some more.

I made sure to screw in the 2 screws near the bottom area of the controller and the frame to make sure it had a good connection.
    The SC670 code went away and I updated the system firmware to the most recent one.

This was the first time I recall seeing that message about the restoring business on any of the Ricoh machines. I used a Ricoh Fax Address SD card
    and made sure I entered nvclear and not Nvclear when I got it to work.

It didn't have a JAVA card.

I may try to sway DIMM chips to see what it does for the SC878- original code we had on customer's machine.