PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous 458E not cancel staple command not working

Custom Search

cgw71
02-18-2020, 04:23 PM
I have a 458E with a FS-533 finisher. The staple limit on that model is 50 sheets. When my customer puts a stack of originals in that have more than 50 sheets the machine will display a screen that has a "CANCEL STAPLE" button when the ADF feeds the 50th sheet. I'm assuming it should cancel the staple command and then just copy the stack without being stapled. That's what the customer wants as well. But the machine spits out exactly 50 and then staples them leaving the rest of the job undone. And, even when I just cancel the job, it does the same thing. I have updated firmware and dug through all the bulletins to no avail. I even called tech support but, so far, no help. They didn't have this model with this finisher configuration to test this problem.
Has anyone seen this or have an idea? Or, does anyone have one of these machines in this configuration so they could test and see if maybe this is software issue that needs to be addressed by the manufacturer.
Also, does anyone know a setting I could change that would at least hold off printing until the scanning is done. Right now it starts printing after only a few sheets are scanned. That would at least be a temporary fix until I found a better solution.
I know I could ask the customer to count their originals before putting them in but I'm not sure that will go over too well.

Phil B.
02-18-2020, 04:36 PM
I have a 458E with a FS-533 finisher. The staple limit on that model is 50 sheets. When my customer puts a stack of originals in that have more than 50 sheets the machine will display a screen that has a "CANCEL STAPLE" button when the ADF feeds the 50th sheet. I'm assuming it should cancel the staple command and then just copy the stack without being stapled. That's what the customer wants as well. But the machine spits out exactly 50 and then staples them leaving the rest of the job undone. And, even when I just cancel the job, it does the same thing. I have updated firmware and dug through all the bulletins to no avail. I even called tech support but, so far, no help. They didn't have this model with this finisher configuration to test this problem.
Has anyone seen this or have an idea? Or, does anyone have one of these machines in this configuration so they could test and see if maybe this is software issue that needs to be addressed by the manufacturer.
Also, does anyone know a setting I could change that would at least hold off printing until the scanning is done. Right now it starts printing after only a few sheets are scanned. That would at least be a temporary fix until I found a better solution.
I know I could ask the customer to count their originals before putting them in but I'm not sure that will go over too well.

if the set is looking for a staple in the stack then yes.. it will error out.

why not just configure the files for NO STAPLE?

try setting the file to " print after last page spooled"?

maybe I'm not understanding the problem, but to me it sounds like the customer doesn't know how to properly configure the print job?

tsbservice
02-18-2020, 05:18 PM
So after ADF counts 50th page fed machine stops and this "CANCEL STAPLE" message pop ups? What they choose then? Maybe instead of confirming of "CANCEL STAPLE" they should choose to NOT "CANCEL STAPLE" :confused:

cgw71
02-18-2020, 06:44 PM
if the set is looking for a staple in the stack then yes.. it will error out.

why not just configure the files for NO STAPLE?

try setting the file to " print after last page spooled"?

maybe I'm not understanding the problem, but to me it sounds like the customer doesn't know how to properly configure the print job?

It isn't a print job. It's a copy job. And they want it to staple. They aren't counting how many originals they have when they put them in the ADF. If it happens to be more than 50 (and they want it staple) then the problem happens. And I know of no setting with COPY jobs that waits till all pages have been scanned.

cgw71
02-18-2020, 06:50 PM
So after ADF counts 50th page fed machine stops and this "CANCEL STAPLE" message pop ups? What they choose then? Maybe instead of confirming of "CANCEL STAPLE" they should choose to NOT "CANCEL STAPLE" :confused:

You're only choice is "Cancel Staple" or to cancel the job. The problem is that either way you do it then it just proceeds to spit out 50 pages and then staple them. That's not so good when the original stack was 58 sheets. That leaves 8 sheets not scanned or copied. So the customer is left with an incomplete set that is stapled.
I know I can tell them to just count the originals before they start the job so they know not to hit the staple option if their set is over 50 sheets but they may not be to keen on having to do that......or just not selecting staple when they have a large stack. Still though.....why have the "cancel staple" button if it's not going to work?

cgw71
02-18-2020, 06:54 PM
Ok, I managed to get my hands on a C308 with an FS-533 finisher on it. I tried to copy a 57 page set and, after 50 pages, it stopped scanning and offered me the "Cancel staple" screen. I selected that and it still would not scan the last 7 pages and proceeded to spit out the 50 copies of the of 50 pages it had scanned and stapled them. If I simply don't touch anything it does the exact same thing. I let Konica know. I am thinking its a software flaw. If anyone sees something I totally overlooked then I'm all ears.

tsbservice
02-18-2020, 07:12 PM
On two different models with presumably different FW levels...sounds like something they need to fix with next FW updates. Sorry, not too much help though.

Phil B.
02-18-2020, 07:26 PM
It isn't a print job. It's a copy job. And they want it to staple. They aren't counting how many originals they have when they put them in the ADF. If it happens to be more than 50 (and they want it staple) then the problem happens. And I know of no setting with COPY jobs that waits till all pages have been scanned.

they are EXCEEDING the max amount of pages to staple..

doubt you can make it staple anything that thick. ONLY Large Production machines will handle that!

your salesman fucked you and your customer..

Sales will always blame it on the tech.

Get the spec sheets and show the customer "It's NOT possible"!

emujo2
02-18-2020, 08:56 PM
My 360i will scan the 1st 50 sheets, then in the display "can't staple more than 50" I get a icon to cancel stapling and it brings the job log up to highlight and delete the current job.

Phil B.
02-18-2020, 09:11 PM
My 360i will scan the 1st 50 sheets, then in the display "can't staple more than 50" I get a icon to cancel stapling and it brings the job log up to highlight and delete the current job.So does your unit have the same options? (finisher) so does is get 50 stapled? Or just 49? Or does it bomb and not staple at all? Does your finisher and copier match his in settings?
Thanks for your input brother!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Phil B.
02-18-2020, 09:16 PM

Just thought of this. Are they doing 2 staple on long or just trying to do corner staple?
You never mention *could have missed it* LEFor SEF?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

emujo2
02-18-2020, 09:21 PM
I have a 50 sheet finisher..After 50 pages I get the cant staple message, and the process stops. I have no choice but to cancel stapling, however when I select this, I get the choice to finishe the job or cancel it. Regardless, of what I choose, nothing get stapled and the sheets above the 50 count get output on the stack of 50. This is normal operation...You would need a different finisher to staple over 50. The machine is saying "your job is over 50 pages and I can't staple this amount so I'm not going to staple any of them" What good would 50 stapled pages of a 55 page job be? E

tsbservice
02-18-2020, 09:23 PM
My 360i will scan the 1st 50 sheets, then in the display "can't staple more than 50" I get a icon to cancel stapling and it brings the job log up to highlight and delete the current job.

Seems that they (KM) do some more work on newer models.
Looks reasonable, thanks for sharing.

blackcat4866
02-19-2020, 01:05 AM
On another tack ... what happens when you select finishing face-up? Is it an option? I think the machine has to scan all the pages before printing the last page, then the next to last, etc., etc. During this process the machine should discover the page count before printing anything. =^..^=

Bix
02-19-2020, 08:08 AM
What if you use the preview button first? This key allows you to get a preview of what has been scanned and how many sheets have passed. If they see that there are more than 50 they cancel the stapling.

Synthohol
02-19-2020, 01:13 PM
the max limit is 50 so anything larger can use....

emujo2
02-19-2020, 02:41 PM
Apologize, but I mis read the origianl post..I tested this on 2 different models with the same results (no internal finishers though). It seems that the results he/she is getting are not waht should be occuring. Wonder if this is limted to the internal finisher..E

Synthohol
02-19-2020, 04:45 PM
The internal finisher has a 50 page staple max. So does the slim finisher.
There is a 100 sheet stapling finisher for that model and would be the fix-all for this scenario.

cgw71
02-24-2020, 01:21 AM
Got word back from Konica Tech Support. They said that what it is doing is how it's designed to do. I'll have to live with that ......and so will the customer I guess. I think it's a bad design though. Every time the customer walks up to the machine with an original set of more than 50 pages their job will be stopped before it's all scanned and the first 50 pages will be stapled....no matter what you tell it to do. So the customer will have to count their sets before they copy or have to run them a second time without selecting stapling. I don't blame them for not liking that. To my thinking, the CANCEL STAPLE button on-screen should just cancel the staple command and then scan the rest of the sheets and then print the set out completely without stapling it. I know it's a small thing but I think it's wrong and it bugs me and it bugs the customer.

srvctec
02-24-2020, 04:02 PM
So, how about a workaround since you can't redesign the operation of the machine. If your customer has what might be more than 50 originals, just have them scan them to a box, which will count the originals for them. If within 50, run them again as stapled copies, if not, don't staple. You could even make a one touch to that box called Original Count and then put in on the main screen or as a program.

Bix
02-24-2020, 04:13 PM
I hope he is not like some of my clients.
He has 30 sheets and wants to staple them: he goes to the printer, starts copying and proceeds with stapling.

When I saw this I said: Are you serious? You first pick up a clamp and you clamp your 30 sheets, without necessarily wasting more paper and toner (the non-stapled sheets were thrown away).

Surely I earn more if he does these useless operations but I hate waste.

tsbservice
02-24-2020, 04:19 PM
So, how about a workaround since you can't redesign the operation of the machine. If your customer has what might be more than 50 originals, just have them scan them to a box, which will count the originals for them. If within 50, run them again as stapled copies, if not, don't staple. You could even make a one touch to that box called Original Count and then put in on the main screen or as a program.
That's an excellent idea for workaround, I think they even don't need to rescan originals just print them from box - stapled or not.

srvctec
02-25-2020, 04:54 PM
That's an excellent idea for workaround, I think they even don't need to rescan originals just print them from box - stapled or not.True except they might have to make sure and bump up the scan dpi if they scan like most of our customers do at 200 x 200 set as default.

Custom Search