PDA

View Full Version : Linux users

Custom Search

cboucher
07-17-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm just curious, how many of you guys use Linux as your main OS for work (field laptop or office PC)? What distribution? What applications?

mandoelp
08-01-2007, 11:32 PM
I have used SME server. It is a free distribution. I used it as a DHCP and File server for a a 6 person windows enviornment. It ran with out any issues for 1 year on an old PII 400 with 128 ram and 8 gig HD. It was repalced with 2003 server when the VPN was finally set up.

I also currently use EBOX as a proxy server for three of my offices and have successfully used it in two customer envoirnments. It also has the same fuctions as SME but the hardware requirments are higher.

deltaomicron
08-22-2008, 12:16 AM
The easiest to use and set up , I believe is the UBUNTU version and it has a very nice GUI interface. :D

DallasTech
09-10-2008, 02:51 PM
I have ubuntu on my laptop on a dual boot with XP. It was easy to setup and there is a plethora of FAQ's online if you get stuck.

mungooz
09-10-2008, 05:47 PM
SME server, ubuntu server in various configurations for testing, and wubi installed ubuntu desktop that dual boots with XP on my work laptop.
I've been testing E-box running on ubuntu and I must say it is quite impressive.

aam
09-11-2008, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't really use it for a field laptop, but for the office I really like CentOS. It is an Enterprise class free distribution based on Redhat. It has various install configurations ranging from workstation to server and I have found it to be very stable over the last few years.

www.centos.org (http://www.centos.org)

unisys12
09-13-2008, 04:53 AM
You guys got me curious about Linux again, plus I have had a few customers switch over to Macs and have not been awhole lot of help to them. Then I saw the post in the rants and raves section about macs, so that got me to looking into my options.

Tonight I loaded Ubuntu using Suns xvM Virtual Box. Since I only had 6 gigs left on my hard drive, I was only able to give Ubuntu 4 gigs and the limited space left for windows has seemed to slow down it ability to recover from Standy or just booting up. Other than that though, everything works great. I can't wait to get back to the shop and play around with the networking side of it.

I will play around with this for a few weeks, because I am currently eyeing a few of the OSX windows hacks out there. I might play with a few of those. I will of course be upgrading my memory pretty soon though. :cool:

unisys12
09-14-2008, 02:44 AM
I even found a cool way to use your jump drive for extra memory in Ubuntu, just like Vista... How to: ReadyBoost with Ubuntu Linux - Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=395435) I will be playing with this over the rest of the weekend. If it works, I will possibly skip the upgrade on my laptop since I have a 1gb jump drive. I will let everyone know how it goes. :cool:

Raoufselwaness
11-30-2008, 12:09 AM
I used fedora core 7 on my home comp. not on field laptop.
it is very easy to install-for me- and has a lot to learn from linux.
printing with linux is very fast.

Travis06
11-30-2008, 02:11 AM
Still use XP Pro for work laptop, but I am full UBUNTU at home. No viruses and plenty of online help.

pspahr
11-30-2008, 04:13 AM
My home pc was running Vectorlinux 5.8 SOHO but since the power supply failed I've not even worked with it since.

VL is fast, based on Slackware, and I've never had an issue since running it (from 4.x). BTW: the psu on my home pc has failed 2 times, and is obviously not a software related issue.

Also, ran Opensuse for several months...very easy to use as long as you have a good working knowledge of linux in general.

Raoufselwaness
11-30-2008, 10:34 PM
about online help for linux it is very helpful comparing to wxp.

cmcomputer
02-25-2009, 12:54 AM
I will recommend Centos for Server or Red Hat and Mepis or Ubuntu for Desktop Users.

deltaomicron
02-25-2009, 05:11 AM
UBuntu also has an extremely good server OS that has an extremely good interface :eek:

RyanPacific
02-25-2009, 04:22 PM
I use Debian linux for my home PC and I connect to all the Ubuntu repositories for the enormous software selection. On my field laptop I use Debian and I have WinXP running in a virtual box at the same time to accomidate the software that I need that is only avalible in Windows. Wine just doesn't seem to cut it most of the time for that. It's great because when people see the Debian menu bar at the top and the Windows start menu at the bottom of my monitor it causes a lot of confused looks and I get the opertunity to tell them all about my OS and how they should switch over.

Custom Search