Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kjc
    • Jul 2024

Oki ES3640 Communication error

My customer has an Oki Es3640 when you power on you get the message initialising please wait 5 minutes.
    after around 4 minutes the message communication error appears on the screen.
    I have looked for the obvious all connections are good the fuser is getting warm all cvers are closed.
    Any advise Please.
  • leo34staffs
    copierman
    Site Contributor
    250+ Posts
    • Aug 2007

hi

Communication error? is it a 3640 with a scanner? if so the usb lead is either unplugged or loose. Its a bit vague is that all it shows on the screen but, if it has the scanner board in, that may be the prob. hope this helps
    Networking skills are advantageous but use of a 3m vacuum cleaner is essential

Comment

• jahpe

Hard Drive Failure

THere is a failure in the hard drive, or the EFI software is corrupted. You will have to replace the hard drive either way and that should fix the problem.

Comment

• blackcat4866
        Master Of The Obvious
        Site Contributor
        10,000+ Posts
        • Jul 2007

I agree with leo34staffs. The cable from the scanner to the engine can get damaged when moving, and won't stay plugged in. This cable looks exactly like a standard VGA monitor cable with 1 additional conductor. You can pay Oki $150 bucks for a cable, or you can use a standard 15 pin VGA monitor cable for $3.50! The (1) additional conductor doesn't make any difference.

If you had a Communication Code number I might be able to give a better answer.

=^..^=
        If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
        1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
        2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
        3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
        4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
        5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Comment

• jahpe

ni it is a failure of the Controller boards talking to each other. It can be a failure, but as I have seen this problem before, it is almost certainly the hard drive.

Comment

• JustManuals
            Field Supervisor
            5,000+ Posts
            • Jan 2006

Well accroding to the service manual, its going to need a board replacement.

HtH
            Paul@justmanuals.com

Comment

• DallasTech
              Trusted Tech
              • Feb 2007

I've never replaced any boards for those problems and we have a few 3640's in the field. Oki knows it's a design issue and turning the machine off, then restarting it after reconnecting all the cables should fix it. We have replaced some cables, but Oki always gave us replacements. That is the number one problem on these machines and the new 3641's use two DVI connectors not the USB and vga connectors of last generation.

Comment

• JRCS
                Technician
                • Feb 2008

cloned hdd with known good one

We cloned the HDD from a working known one and the copier gave me software not authorized 002, what am I doing wrong??
                Please help!!

Comment

• DallasTech
                  Trusted Tech
                  • Feb 2007

I've never tried to clone the hard drive, but Oki technical support is where I would turn to in this situation. If you changed boards, there is an eeprom chip (on main board) that you have to move. I have seen that cause a software not authorized error.

Comment

• JRCS
                    Technician
                    • Feb 2008

Oki es 3640 HDD replacement

We took the HDD from a working ES3640, and installed it on the non working one, the Oki worked perfect, then bougth new HDD, cloned it with known good one, installed on the Oki, but now copier says software not authorized..., put good HDD back in Oki, copier works fine again, is there a place where I can get the EFI software?
                    or a place that I can get the HDD with the right operating system? how much????
                    I didnt change any boards, all we did was exchage HDD to see if it would solve the problem, and it did but now we have 2 Okis with 1 HDD.

Thank you, for any help...

JRCS

Comment

• DallasTech
                      Trusted Tech
                      • Feb 2007

I would call the Oki Dealer Support Hotline. 1866 654 1725.

Comment

• JRCS
                        Technician
                        • Feb 2008

Oki Es3640

We are not Oki authorized dealers.
                        But do need to get the HDD.
                        Any other Ideas???

Thank you!!

JRCS

Comment

• unlimitedbt
                          Technician
                          50+ Posts
                          • Mar 2009

OKI ES3640e errors

Hello everyone. Guys I have a several OKI ES-3640e machines.
                          few of them do not recognize the toner cartridges, as I learned from the web forums - it needs firmware update - can someone share the file please?
                          Also 3 machines came without HDD at all - thanks for a new law I guess, we had purchased exactly same HDD's and cloned them on special device from a good working HDD but it says "Unauthorized something" - how that can be fixed please? I know on Canons, you can connect to the machine with the blank HDD and write Software on it from the PC, is there similar procedure on OKI? Please help! I am willing to compensate your assistance. Please PM me or Email UnlimitedBT@yahoo.com
                          Thank you.
                          Roman.

Comment

• DallasTech
                            Trusted Tech
                            • Feb 2007

Roman,

The OKI isn't so easy. The problem with the harddrive is that it has the Fiery software (Linux OS) on the harddrive. I could be wrong, but I think the only way to get what you need is to order the preimaged hard drive from OKI. To flash firmware on these machines OKI uses a USB thumbdrive and a jumper flipped on the main board. PM me a serial number and I can try calling OKI and see what they say.

Comment

• unlimitedbt
                              Technician
                              50+ Posts
                              • Mar 2009

Thank you Mr. Dallas Tech, I will check serial number and reply.
                              Let me ask you please- we had successfully cloned many Canon HDD, say 95% worked, why can't I clone OKI? Would you know?
                              If I must buy one, where can I get it without giving up my underwear? I mean lets say Canon IR3320 - a $6000 - 7000 machine, HDD cost me $125 from canon dealer, OKI was skyrocking.
                              Thank you for your help.
                              Roman.

Comment

Working...