Page 11 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

you do understand I never said I used my own account right...????

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    That's BECAUSE YOU NEVER had a company that had to provide email records in a lawsuit!
    NEVER create or use your own account for emails PERIOD
    Sad To Say I Don't Have a Life
    I do this stuff on the weekends too

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    If it helps, let me make a suggestion to not hop on board the Wireshark bandwagon too quickly. Doing so, and getting in over your proverbial head before you know it, is counter productive and counter intuitive. You can almost instantly get totally overwhelmed in techie talk and geek speak.

Not the best analogy, I guess, but it’s kinda like trying to learn Calculus before attempting Algebra.

Wireshark should NOT be the first line of defense. There are many other simpler, more user-friendly tools that you would use first, many of them already discussed on this thread.

Yes, it’s important to learn the OSI model, but packet capturing is something you work your way up to, not start off with.

I thought about this and you're right. I do plan to learn wireshark but at this point in the process, I don't want to put the cart before the horse. There are other things I need to learn at this time. Honestly, I question how much of a need I'll ever have for wireshark. To this point, we've never had to use it.

DNS is a very important protocol to understand.

Overly simplified, it resolves host names to IP addresses, and is used throughout every network as well as the Internet.

Quite often it’s the culprit when scanning to folder or email doesn’t work. It also allows you to print to a machine by name, rather than its IP address. That can be HUGE when DHCP is used to assign MFP addresses without reservations.

I once had my butt kicked by DNS when a customer had 4 new Ricoh machines fail to work properly with GlobalScan, and I never thought to check DNS. It turned out that there was no A Record for the any of them, and GlobalScan depended on that. The DNS server had crashed a few weeks before the machines were installed, and had not been properly restored. Once the A Records were manually added, GlobalScan was happy.
    I want to learn how to do this because I can see where it would come in handy but I'm having a hard time grasping how this is gonna work for a copier. I get that a DNS server ties an IP address to a webpage but how does it tie a copier IP address to the copier hostname?

I see nothing on youtube about it.

How do I set this up?

Okay, I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that the client is gonna need a DNS server and that an entry will need to be made for the copier IP address. Am I right?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by n25an View Post
    curious about the A records?

whats the procedure for setting up global scan?
    It was authentication that wasn't failing, but instead of being almost instantaneous, it would take about 35-40 seconds, far too long for a user to stand and wait. (Also, please realize that this was in a large law office, so...)

The customer's IT manager never did give me a clear explanation as to what happened to the faulty DNS server. I think he was afraid to admit that he messed up somewhere.

GlobalScan would try to respond to the MFP using its hostname first, then after trying about 30 seconds, fall back to its IP address.

Another simple fix (although not the best) would have been to put entries for the MFPs in the GlobalScan server's host table.

I also have a hunch that setting the MFPs to get all addressing, including DNS, via DHCP would have also worked, then set up reservations for the copiers in DHCP. That would also explain why the workstations had no issues, as they were all DHCP.

BTW...The easy test (which I thought of far too late) was to ping an MFP by its IP address with the -a switch, which will show its hostname; that test would pass. Pinging it using the hostname would fail, indicating a DNS issue. That test is one that is also commonly used when you can't access a website.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I want to learn how to do this because I can see where it would come in handy but I'm having a hard time grasping how this is gonna work for a copier. I get that a DNS server ties an IP address to a webpage but how does it tie a copier IP address to the copier hostname?

I see nothing on youtube about it.

How do I set this up?
    It works the very same way. Once the correct DNS entry(ies) are set in the config, you should be done; you can do this manually, or have DHCP do it for you. Note that DNS is not necessarily required for basic functions.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

It works the very same way. Once the correct DNS entry(ies) are set in the config, you should be done; you can do this manually, or have DHCP do it for you. Note that DNS is not necessarily required for basic functions.
    So, I'm guessing this is something I can't set up here at my office since there's no DNS server?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I thought about this and you're right. I do plan to learn wireshark but at this point in the process, I don't want to put the cart before the horse. There are other things I need to learn at this time. Honestly, I question how much of a need I'll ever have for wireshark. To this point, we've never had to use it.
    Apart from the situation I described I doubt you will ever need wireshark at work and the fact in captures packets and unencrypted passwords means its a bit of a liability.

However for someone with an interest in networking you can install it and see the various packets floating around their home network after you have seen a few video's on the various types you will know why the device is doing it and for what reason.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

So, I'm guessing this is something I can't set up here at my office since there's no DNS server?
    Your ISP is most likely providing the DNS. A few routers can provide it, but very few.

Run ipconfig / all from a PC and it will show the DNS servers in use. You plug those into the MFP, or have DNS do it for you. If the DNS is your router, the router is most likely just passing the information to the PC. If you have access (and permission), check the configuration on the web page of your router; it will be an address outside your organization.

If you have a server to play with (ideally a VM) you can set up DNS services on it to play with, but don't KEEP IT OFF your production network.

I found this video on DNS (amidst hundreds of others)which is quite informitive (albeit a bit dry):

DNS Essentials - Understanding & Working With DNS - YouTube

Keep in mind, Wireshark is for last resort advanced troubleshooting. I have used it to prove that the problem isn't the copier but the environment. It sees every packet across the network including passwords and other critical information. Using a simple hex converter, you can decipher passwords or other information that company does NOT want you to have! Definitely a last resort for me.