Page 72 of 139 FirstFirst ... 22626364656667686970717273747576777879808182122 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Here's a question if anyone wants to take a crack at it. Let me preface the question first:

It is often said that switches don't care about IP addresses, they only care about MAC addresses. And it's often said that routers only care about IP addresses, they don't care about MAC addresses. With me so far?

Question: If a router doesn't care about a MAC address, then why do routers have a MAC address for each one of their ports?

Think about that hard and give me your answer.

Here's the answer to the question: It's true that a router doesn't care about a MAC address nor does a switch care about an IP address.

So why do routers have MAC addresses? Because switches need to communicate with a router and switches only understand a MAC address.

Say a PC needs to send a packet to google.com. First the PC is gonna check it's arp table to see if google is on it's local network. When it discovers that it's not, the switch needs to connect to the router and that can only be done by using the MAC address of the router.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Just to go a little deeper on this subject....

Software resides on layer 7 of the OSI model. When I say software, I'm not talking about google.com, or YouTube or anything like that. Software is gonna fall into one or more of several categories: HTTP, HTTPS, POP. SMTP, ect. Depending on what category the "software" falls into is gonna determine what port needs to be opened. In conclusion, if the software has a bug, you can open the correct port but it's not gonna work. Make sense?
    Absolutely. But in reality it isn't customer responsible to troubleshoot those kind of problems.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Absolutely. But in reality it isn't customer responsible to troubleshoot those kind of problems.

That has been the reality in some cases. I've read about several times when this has been the case. The software guys would blame the network guys and the network guys would blame the software guys. Who's right? Who's wrong? That can be a devil to uncover.

For full clarity, we're talking about high level corporations that need special software in many cases.

That has been the reality in some cases. I've read about several times when this has been the case. The software guys would blame the network guys and the network guys would blame the software guys. Who's right? Who's wrong? That can be a devil to uncover.

For full clarity, we're talking about high level corporations that need special software in many cases.

By the way, I left out some details. When we think "software", most likely we think about programs that most companies use, like Quickbooks, for example. But, remember, there's a big world out there where corporations pay software companies to write a program specifically for them. And sometimes that new program has a bug and the network guys may be the ones tasked with proving it's a software problem.

Enough of this, that's way beyond where I'm at right now. I just thought that it was interesting.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

By the way, I left out some details. When we think "software", most likely we think about programs that most companies use, like Quickbooks, for example. But, remember, there's a big world out there where corporations pay software companies to write a program specifically for them. And sometimes that new program has a bug and the network guys may be the ones tasked with proving it's a software problem.

Enough of this, that's way beyond where I'm at right now. I just thought that it was interesting.
    And often there are industry specific software which can get quite specific. For years I worked on the copier, computer and phones for a bankruptcy attorney. They used a software that allowed them to quickly generate the needed forms for preparing a bankruptcy filing. Many car and RV dealers use a software that allows them to pull credit reports and print sales/leasing contracts. Accountants use software that that allows them to do a lot more than online tax filing websites.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

I think they will blame each other no matter what. You're right on this special cases though.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Things are getting interesting with the labs that I have to configure. We're slowly working our way up to building and configuring a college campus network.

Here's what we just completed: I took (1) Layer 3 switch and connected (3) Layer 2 switches to it. I connected (10) PC's to each Layer 2 switch for a total of 30 PC's. Moreover, I connected (1) web server to the Layer 3 switch.

That was just a warm up.

I then had to configure 4 vlans on each layer 2 switch - vlan10, vlan20, vlan30 and vlan100. I then had to configure the same 4 vlans on the layer 3 switch.

Still only getting warmed up.

I then had to configure 4 virtual gateways on the layer 3 switch for vlan10, 20, 30 and 100.

I then had to assign all the connected ports on the layer 2 switches to the correct vlans.

I then had to trunk the ports that ran from the layer 2 switch to the layer 3 switch. There were a total of 8 trunk ports that had to be configured.

After that....I ended up with inter-vlan routing between all the vlans, PC's and servers.

That was quite a job.

Here's the encouraging thing. I was able to do this on my own without having to watch the video in which the instructor shows us how to do it.
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 05-02-2021 at 04:45 PM.

Quick comment on Layer 3 switches.

At first I wasn't a big fan of layer 3 switches (they make layer 4 switches by the way). I've changed my mind on that. If you're gonna do inter-vlan routing, they are the only way to go, NO DOUBT. Huge time saver. Intervlan routing can be done with a standalone router but it requires more programming and the less of that you have to do, the better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Apparently on larger networks, PC's aren't plugged directly in a layer 3 switch. The way I understand it is that layer 2 switches are run off the layer 3 switch and the PC's are connected to the layer 2 switch. Those layer 2 switches are commonly referred to as the "Access Switch"...for obvious reasons.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quick comment on Layer 3 switches.

At first I wasn't a big fan of layer 3 switches (they make layer 4 switches by the way). I've changed my mind on that. If you're gonna do inter-vlan routing, they are the only way to go, NO DOUBT. Huge time saver. Intervlan routing can be done with a standalone router but it requires more programming and the less of that you have to do, the better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Apparently on larger networks, PC's aren't plugged directly in a layer 3 switch. The way I understand it is that layer 2 switches are run off the layer 3 switch and the PC's are connected to the layer 2 switch. Those layer 2 switches are commonly referred to as the "Access Switch"...for obvious reasons.
    Access switches have been most of what I see in enterprise environments, though generally there's only one or two VLAN's per geographical area, unless you're dealing with very special environments. Mainly I'll just see a single building or department VLAN, and maybe one for phones or some kind of special device.

Makes it much easier than trying to string a bunch of routers everywhere, doesn't it?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Access switches have been most of what I see in enterprise environments, though generally there's only one or two VLAN's per geographical area, unless you're dealing with very special environments. Mainly I'll just see a single building or department VLAN, and maybe one for phones or some kind of special device.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

That makes sense to me. From what I can tell, the only reason for using access switches is to increase the number of ports that PC's can connect to. That would confirm your statement that it's mainly used in an enterprise environment.

Makes it much easier than trying to string a bunch of routers everywhere, doesn't it?

Yes, sir. I hate every new technology that I'm introduced to because I know my brain is about to get a workout. Once I learn it, i love it.

On a serious note, you dang right it beats using a router.