Two label printer USB connected to an A/B switch connected to a single PC via USB

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SalesServiceGuy
    Field Supervisor
    Site Contributor
    5,000+ Posts
    • Dec 2009

Two label printer USB connected to an A/B switch connected to a single PC via USB

Customer is proposing the above, what are the problems?

Wireless available via TCP/IP but at greater cost and complexity.

No local cable drops. Long interior distances.
  • SalesServiceGuy
    Field Supervisor
    Site Contributor
    5,000+ Posts
    • Dec 2009

Re: Two label printer USB connected to an A/B switch connected to a single PC via USB

... Two Toshiba wireless anterna/ board interface for a BEX4T2 label printer will cost about $1,200.00 installed.

In an effort to get to a lower cost, I am wondering if I can use the NIC card interface built into each label printer to connect via network cable to a wireless bridge called A. Could Wireless Bridge A connect to the customer's existng wireless network?

Comment

• SalesServiceGuy
      Field Supervisor
      Site Contributor
      5,000+ Posts
      • Dec 2009

Re: Two label printer USB connected to an A/B switch connected to a single PC via USB

I have asked several people and they all say the same this set up is problematic and recommend a IP address solution via network cable or wireless adaptor.

There are also bulletins from Microsoft that a recent update KB5015807 further breaks the reliability of USB printing.

Comment

• mojorolla
        The Wolf
        2,500+ Posts
        • Jan 2010

If the distance is less than 300ft, cable runs would be your best (and most cost efficient) solution.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Comment

• slimslob
          Retired
          Site Contributor
          25,000+ Posts
          • May 2013

Originally posted by SalesServiceGuy
          ... Two Toshiba wireless anterna/ board interface for a BEX4T2 label printer will cost about $1,200.00 installed.

In an effort to get to a lower cost, I am wondering if I can use the NIC card interface built into each label printer to connect via network cable to a wireless bridge called A. Could Wireless Bridge A connect to the customer's existng wireless network?
          If the printers have network ports, a WiFi can be used. Should be under $50.00 US each. StarTech makes a 1-Port Wireless N USB 2.0 Network Print Server for under $100.00 US each.

How long is the total distance? It might be too far for USB. It not why use an A/B switch? Why not just use 2 separate USB ports on the computer or an external port expander.

Most likely too far to use Bluetooth for one of them.

Comment

• Samir
            Self-Taught
            • Oct 2023

A bit of a bump, but curious what you finally did for this customer...

Comment

Working...