Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Unable To Connect Remote Desktop from W-XP to W10

Re: Unable To Connect Remote Desktop from W-XP to W10

Quote Originally Posted by eddies View Post
    Step 1: Log in as an admin

You can use any account that has local administrative rights.

Step 2: Check for update compliance

For Windows XP to be able to use NLA, it must first be updated to SP3. Additionally, I suggest installing the RDP v.7 update as well.

Step 3: Open the registry editor

Run regedit as Administrator.

Step 4: Navigate to and modify the registry keys

There are two keys to change. The first is located at:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
    You are going to modify the key named 'Security Packages' Add 'tspkg' to the listing of security packages. Do not remove any packages.
    The second key is located at:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\SecurityProviders
    You are going to modify the key named 'SecurityProviders' Add 'credssp.dll' to the listing of Security Providers.
    Close regedit.

Step 5: Restart the computer.

After the restart is complete. Test the NLA functionality by attempting to RDP to a server that only accepts RDP connections from machines that use NLA.

Thanks, unfortunately didn't work.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    From what Iíve found, it sounds like you may need to enable SMB v1 on the Windows 10 machine.

Worth a shot (although not exactly secure).
    100% not the answer... RDP and SMB have nothing to do with each other.

Part of the issue is a series of security hardening updates that Microsoft has made since XP went end of life.

Are you trying to connect via a hostname or IP as both methods use a different authentication mechanism, however both Kerberos (hostname) and NTLM have been hardened. You may want to confirm if TLS 1.0 is enabled on the Windows 10 machine as it may just be trying to use a stronger cipher set than the XP box can negotiate.

Your best bet may be, if possible, to virtualise the XP system and access it through the hypervisor's console. Of course, if it's connected to physical hardware of some kind that throws that idea out.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    100% not the answer... RDP and SMB have nothing to do with each other.

Part of the issue is a series of security hardening updates that Microsoft has made since XP went end of life.

Are you trying to connect via a hostname or IP as both methods use a different authentication mechanism, however both Kerberos (hostname) and NTLM have been hardened. You may want to confirm if TLS 1.0 is enabled on the Windows 10 machine as it may just be trying to use a stronger cipher set than the XP box can negotiate.

Your best bet may be, if possible, to virtualise the XP system and access it through the hypervisor's console. Of course, if it's connected to physical hardware of some kind that throws that idea out.
    Atleast with my test windows xp vm upgraded to SP3, i can confirm that the rdp works. When using thip address i dont even have to disable NLA. Shouldnt this be the other way around?

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    Atleast with my test windows xp vm upgraded to SP3, i can confirm that the rdp works. When using thip address i dont even have to disable NLA. Shouldnt this be the other way around?
    XP to W10?

W10 to XP is working very well since long without any corrections had to be made. Just activate RDP with one click, but the opposite direction does not work whatever I do and that's what I need too. Reason is, that we have a very old but very good inventory software that works only with XP. This computer is in one of our warehouses, and it would be very convenient if it can be used too to RDP in the opposite direction to our main computers in the remote office.

An update to the inventory software would cost, including adapting old to new, around 10,000 Euro which is too much for this purpose. It runs with MSDE SQL whatever, software in the background. All attempts to lift it to higher Windows operating systems failed. That MSDE SQL server wants XP, nothing else. Virtual XP doesn't work either. It is not accepting that damned MSD-SQL thingy.

I could of course put another W10 computer beside the XP one overthere, but that is against my technical pride.......

Hans
    Last edited by Hansoon; 10-17-2023 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    XP to W10?

W10 to XP is working very well since long without any corrections had to be made. Just activate RDP with one click, but the opposite direction does not work whatever I do and that's what I need too. Reason is, that we have a very old but very good inventory software that works only with XP. This computer is in one of our warehouses, and it would be very convenient if it can be used too to RDP in the opposite direction to our main computers in the remote office.

An update to the inventory software would cost, including adapting old to new, around 10,000 Euro which is too much for this purpose. It runs with MSDE SQL whatever, software in the background. All attempts to lift it to higher Windows operating systems failed. That MSDE SQL server wants XP, nothing else. Virtual XP doesn't work either. It is not accepting that damned MSD-SQL thingy.

I could of course put another W10 computer beside the XP one overthere, but that is against my technical pride.......

Hans
    In my testing I was able to go in both directions without any issues. Maybe you are not on SP3? Or there are firewall rules in place that block the connection.

XP professional, SP3. Firewall off.
    Two machines are doing this.

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    XP professional, SP3. Firewall off.
    Two machines are doing this.

Hans
    Also the local windows xp / 10 firewall?
    Thats weird.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts UNICORNico's Avatar

Install an FTP Service?

If SMB/Samba is not possible, FTP on Windows XP would not be a bad alternative. There are still some applications that are "compatible" with that version of Windows.
    "ALL WILL BE WELL" The battle cry that most inspires me to follow, from the DC's Comic character that I admire the most. And I feel satisfied with being better every day, and with using Gnu-Linux as my usual Operating System.Apologies for my English, it's not my mother tongue and I'm helping the translator.

Quote Originally Posted by UNICORNico View Post
    Install an FTP Service?

If SMB/Samba is not possible, FTP on Windows XP would not be a bad alternative. There are still some applications that are "compatible" with that version of Windows.
    He does not want to transfer files from one pc to another, he wants to remote control the other desktop

Senior Tech 250+ Posts UNICORNico's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    He does not want to transfer files from one pc to another, he wants to remote control the other desktop
    UPS!! xD Fail my, sorry.
    "ALL WILL BE WELL" The battle cry that most inspires me to follow, from the DC's Comic character that I admire the most. And I feel satisfied with being better every day, and with using Gnu-Linux as my usual Operating System.Apologies for my English, it's not my mother tongue and I'm helping the translator.