• Show
Clear All
  • SalesServiceGuy
    Field Supervisor
    Site Contributor
    5,000+ Posts
    • Dec 2009

Cannot ping the copier

The NIC card going into the copier, the data LEds are solid green and flashing yellow. This means there is a good connection to the router and data is being transmitted.

The IP/Subnet/Gateway on the copier looks good.

IP 192.168.2.210
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.2.1

This is in the range of the PC that I was connected to via TeamViewer via the Command Prompt: //ipconfig /all

I cannot reach the Web browser.

Do you think it is a router issue?

I did try to dynamically get a new IP address but it returned garbage.
  • SalesServiceGuy
    Field Supervisor
    Site Contributor
    5,000+ Posts
    • Dec 2009

Re: Cannot ping the copier

Microsoft's Copilot responded:

It is possible that the router is blocking the access to the web browser of the copier. You can try the following steps to troubleshoot the router issue:
    You can also refer to the following websites for more information on how to troubleshoot print issues in Microsoft Edge1234 or other applications5. I hope this helps.

Comment

• tsbservice
      Field tech
      Site Contributor
      5,000+ Posts
      • May 2007

Can't ping and no web connection sounds like you need to check router security setting/firewall.
      Obviously you can't do that unless they provide you with router password which ain't gonna happen.
      A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
      Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• copier tech
        Field Supervisor
        5,000+ Posts
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by SalesServiceGuy
        The NIC card going into the copier, the data LEds are solid green and flashing yellow. This means there is a good connection to the router and data is being transmitted.

IP 192.168.2.210
        Subnet 255.255.255.0
        Gateway 192.168.2.1

This is in the range of the PC that I was connected to via TeamViewer via the Command Prompt: //ipconfig /all

What machine is it?

Turn on SHCP does the printer pull the network details OK?

Comment

• BillyCarpenter
          Field Supervisor
          Site Contributor
          VIP Subscriber
          10,000+ Posts
          • Aug 2020

Is this a SOHO with one subnet or are we talking multiple VLAN's? It shouldn't be too much of a problem if it's a SOHO. Most likely it would be a firewall setting. Turn off the firewall to check. If it's the later, you need to contact their IT dept.
          Growth is found only in adversity.

Comment

• BillyCarpenter
            Field Supervisor
            Site Contributor
            VIP Subscriber
            10,000+ Posts
            • Aug 2020

Also, try pinging the router address to make sure you can reach and then ping google or some other known server and see what you get. I suspect that you'll be able to ping the router but not able to ping anything beyond the local network. Have you tried to ping the copier or any other device on the LAN?

Comment

• slimslob
              Retired
              Site Contributor
              25,000+ Posts
              • May 2013

IP 192.168.2.210
              Subnet 255.255.255.0
              Gateway 192.168.2.1

Are you physically at the location of the copier? Otherwise how are you able to know the network settings of the copier? If you're going by the records you keep on the equipment you maintain, someone at the site may have changed them.

Comment

• SalesServiceGuy
                Field Supervisor
                Site Contributor
                5,000+ Posts
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by slimslob
                Are you physically at the location of the copier? Otherwise how are you able to know the network settings of the copier? If you're going by the records you keep on the equipment you maintain, someone at the site may have changed them.
                I connected to the customer via Teamviewer. I communicated with the customer, a funeral home with a Toshiba e4505AC, via mobile phone to confirm all settings.

A tech should be onsite this AM. The call came in on Saturday AM.

Comment

• Saturn
                  Trusted Tech
                  Site Contributor
                  100+ Posts
                  • Nov 2023

A tech should be onsite this AM. The call came in on Saturday AM.
                  The tech should take his laptop to the customer and connect it directly to the machine. If this works, the machine can be ruled out as the cause.
                  I don't care about who your father is, as long as I'm fishing here, you won't walk on water.

Comment

• SalesServiceGuy
                    Field Supervisor
                    Site Contributor
                    5,000+ Posts
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Saturn
                    The tech should take his laptop to the customer and connect it directly to the machine. If this works, the machine can be ruled out as the cause.
                    Funeral homes have to operate 24 x7. The tech has to travel only a few kms but good idea.

If this is a router issue and not a copier issue, it is not really covered by a cpc service contract.

Comment

• rthonpm
                      Field Supervisor
                      2,500+ Posts
                      • Aug 2007

Microsoft's Copilot responded:

It is possible that the router is blocking the access to the web browser of the copier. You can try the following steps to troubleshoot the router issue:
                      You can also refer to the following websites for more information on how to troubleshoot print issues in Microsoft Edge1234 or other applications5. I hope this helps.

So the usual generic stuff that everyone already checks...

Comment

• SalesServiceGuy
                        Field Supervisor
                        Site Contributor
                        5,000+ Posts
                        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by rthonpm
                        So the usual generic stuff that everyone already checks...
                        ... copier service techs have many different levels of quality and experience. Copilot is a new AI tool to work with we never had before.

AI is still in it's early years of development. At this time, Copilot is perhaps no more than a more powerful form of Google search.

One thing is for sure, our friends in Marketing will try and insert the phrase Artifical intelligence into everything they can.

I was talking to a person today who's job is to perform property assessments for the municipal gov't. With many 1,000s of assessments per year, he now has new software tools that use AI that helps him quickly decide how much a property owner has to pay in taxes.

Comment

• SalesServiceGuy
                          Field Supervisor
                          Site Contributor
                          5,000+ Posts
                          • Dec 2009

It turns out the network service provider was in the building performing some upgrades and they have not completed their work.

The router did not work because some of the wiring in the building was hanging loose in the air.

The employee I was working with over the weekend did not know these upgrades were happening.
                          Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 11-21-2023, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• Saturn
                            Trusted Tech
                            Site Contributor
                            100+ Posts
                            • Nov 2023

........ some of the wiring in the building was hanging loose in the air.
                            Maybe a new definition of Airprint
                            I don't care about who your father is, as long as I'm fishing here, you won't walk on water.

Comment

• BillyCarpenter
                              Field Supervisor
                              Site Contributor
                              VIP Subscriber
                              10,000+ Posts
                              • Aug 2020

It turns out the network service provider was in the building performing some upgrades and they have not completed their work.

The router did not work because some of the wiring in the building was hanging loose in the air.

The employee I was working with over the weekend did not know these upgrades were happening.

That's one of the disadvantages of remoting in.

Comment

Working...