Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: hp laser jet M4555 error 99.09.66 HDD and firmware question

Quote Originally Posted by Lance15 View Post
    The printer will either have the 8GB SSD or the encrypted HDD.

Solid state drive kit
    ● Solid state drive, 8 GB
    ● Installation instructions
    CE502-67914

Hard disk drive encrypted kit
    ● Hard disk drive encrypted, 250 GB
    ● Installation instructions
    CE502-67915

If the Pre-boot menu is the only thing displaying when the printer is powered on, more than likely the drive (SSD or HDD) is shot. I've replaced a couple of these over the years. Just replaced the eMMC on an M604 and reloaded the firmware from the pre-boot menu.

You could try a full clean from the pre-boot menu, but, if the drive is gone, it'll just say there isn't one installed.

Thank you Lance15.
    do you have a link i can see the CE502-67915 or 14 install instructions? is this something that can be done in the field, without any HP software of laptop??

thank you very much for the info, Jim

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

i dont see my reply to Lance15, so i will re-reply from memory.

thank you Lance15. do you know if theres a link to get the CE502-67915 or 14 instructions?
    i googled it, but only went to HDD.

i will search the HP site.

and should it need to be a encripted SSD or HDD?

i see those are more expensive.

i don't do much in that end generally, unless its on a mini tower.

thank you very much. have a great Holiday.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    hp laser jet M4555 error 99.09.66 HDD and firmware question

The instructions come with either the SSD or HDD. Unlike Xerox, HP doesn't post user-replaceable parts PDFs on their website. It's a very straight-forward process. Shouldn't be an issue. Yes, this is something that can be done without any specialized software. Just make sure you have the firmware (.BDL) on a FAT32 formatted USB stick. It's been my experience your better with a stick no more than 2GB. I had to create a 2GB partition on another tech's 32GB USB stick for the printer to recognize it.

Replace with what is currently installed in the printer. It will either be the little "SSD" (really just a USB stick with a SATA connector), or, the full 2.5" HDD.

SSD Kit:
    The HP Parts Store | HP Computer Parts | HP Printer Parts

Encrypted HDD:

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The instructions come with either the SSD or HDD. Unlike Xerox, HP doesn't post user-replaceable parts PDFs on their website. It's a very straight-forward process. Shouldn't be an issue. Yes, this is something that can be done without any specialized software. Just make sure you have the firmware (.BDL) on a FAT32 formatted USB stick. It's been my experience your better with a stick no more than 2GB. I had to create a 2GB partition on another tech's 32GB USB stick for the printer to recognize it.

Replace with what is currently installed in the printer. It will either be the little "SSD" (really just a USB stick with a SATA connector), or, the full 2.5" HDD.

SSD Kit:

Encrypted HDD:

thanks so much brother.
    so, are you saying to purchase from HP, as opposed to going to ? staples or office depot so its the correct ? encripted unit, and then it comes with the instructions?

i have changed out many HDD and SSD in computers. basically plug and play if you have a startup disk to reload windows.

do the instructions just tell you how to change it, or walk you thru the startup when it wont boot to get to admin and then upload the .bdl from the USB drive?

yea, i remember that the older drives were FAT32, the newer ones are NTFS.

Jim

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    hp laser jet M4555 error 99.09.66 HDD and firmware question

Yes, when purchased from HP, it comes with an instruction booklet on replacing the drive. I can't speak about purchasing from somewhere else unless it's just drop-shipped from HP.

Typically, when a FutureSmart printer doesn't have a boot device, it will automatically dump you into the Pre-boot menu so you can download the firmware.
    Administrator --> Download --> USB Thumbdrive

The one thing I remember about the encrypted HDD was you have to clear the password or something like that. The booklet included with the encrypted HDD explains what to do. This step isn't necessary with the SSD drive as it cannot be encrypted.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Yes, when purchased from HP, it comes with an instruction booklet on replacing the drive. I can't speak about purchasing from somewhere else unless it's just drop-shipped from HP.

Typically, when a FutureSmart printer doesn't have a boot device, it will automatically dump you into the Pre-boot menu so you can download the firmware.
    Administrator --> Download --> USB Thumbdrive

The one thing I remember about the encrypted HDD was you have to clear the password or something like that. The booklet included with the encrypted HDD explains what to do. This step isn't necessary with the SSD drive as it cannot be encrypted.

Happy Friday Lance15, Your the best . thank you so much for the great advice, I really appreciate it.

i hope you all have a safe and enjoyable, relaxing weekend and holiday.

Jim