Clear All
  • Oystercopy
    Senior Tech
    Site Contributor
    500+ Posts
    • Oct 2009

C-3350i, dumping toner issues...

Hey guys,

So, I've sold this model a few times and have not had this issue until now. I went back and read the threads on guys having issues with the machines using too much toner, etc. My FW is late (I just sold and updated the FW this year before selling the machine new), but she's going through Cyan toner very rapidly, and I believe I even (will have to go back and check) replaced the Cyan IU once already. Machine is fairly low mileage, I want to say less than 20K. The machine also, so the customer tells me, decides not to print sometimes also (drops off the network and customer has to reboot machine to get it back) so I was wondering if there might also be a logic board problem on this box?

So it seems that sometimes you can agitate the units (through Image Stabilization and Reset mode?) to get it to mix better, and some guys seem to have had success doing that. It does also seem that quite a few have replaced the IUs to fix the issue, although my machine should have been a later S/N since I sold it this year (sorry I don't have some of this data at my fingertips; I'm typing this at 4am) so was just wondering what's been the most common fix lately for these issues?

And since I'm not familiar with the Toner Concentration settings, can someone please tell me where I can find that? I've seen it in SM before but can't recall.

Thank you in advance!
    OC
  • tsbservice
    Field tech
    Site Contributor
    5,000+ Posts
    • May 2007

Re: C-3350i, dumping toner issues...

Hi OC, to check TCRs go to service mode - state confirmation - level history 1. TCRs should be normally arround 6-7.
    See atached bulletins for more information, some guys including me have success recovering IUs by beating/shaking/driving them.
    Good luck, IMHO avoid selling these as much as you can.Bulletin Number 12202.pdfIncreased Toner Consumption.pdf
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• Oystercopy
      Senior Tech
      Site Contributor
      500+ Posts
      • Oct 2009

Thanks TSB... so I've decided to just bring the machine into the shop for further troubleshooting. I will address the toner concentration and other issues while its here and also see why it is that the machine is falling off the network and not allowing the customer to print. Its also possible that she's got bad power in the building but she says she's never had any issues with power stability or computers/other hardware showing any signs of unreliability.

Will try to remember to post back once I figure it out.

OC

Comment

• tsbservice
        Field tech
        Site Contributor
        5,000+ Posts
        • May 2007

Hey OC you teached young Toshiba fellow tech a couple of tricks 20 years ago in Smarka days.
        So we went till now and I will never let you down.
        tsbservice
        A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
        Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• Oystercopy
          Senior Tech
          Site Contributor
          500+ Posts
          • Oct 2009

Thanks TSB, that was many brain cells ago dude...thanks for remembering that! Gave up the Toshiba boxes a while back, never looked back.

Will try to remember to post back a week or two from now with the results of my in-shop testing...
          OC

Comment

• femaster
            Service Manager
            1,000+ Posts
            • May 2011

If neither of those seem to help, there is also this that goes along with those 2 bulletins:

Problem:
            Faded image on copies and prints.
            Note: C255X code may also occur.

Solution:
            CAUSE: Image unit is depleted due to a possible poor connection on the HV units or failed image units

SOLUTION: Install firmware version G00-B5 or newer. After installing firmware version G00-B5 follow bulletin 12202. If after applying the steps in bulletin 12202 issue still exists follow steps below along with the Increased Toner Consumption documentation for additional information.

Please perform the following steps.
            1. Remove the HV unit from the machine
            2. Check the contacts to make sure they are straight and not bent that are located under where the board was located, they connect to each unit
            3. On the HV unit gently clean the areas with sand paper or a scotchbrite pad (we have had reports of a substance or coating on the contacts) where the contacts from the inside of the machine connects to the HV unit.

[Original had a picture of a finger here with what looked like some flux that was scraped off the contact surface on HV board]

4. Reinstall the HV unit in the machine
            5. Power ON the machine and check TCR readings for all colors they should be in the range of 6.00 if they are not, run manual toner add in service mode
            6. After TCR levels are around 6.00 run the machine, It is recommended that the GDI test page be used to make the outputs. confirm the TCR values are staying steady
            7 The image units may have to be replaced if the TCR values do not recover or image quality is poor
            A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 4 years.
            My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Comment

Working...