• Nov 2020

c454 quick on/off reset not possible

• tsbservice
    Field tech
    Site Contributor
    5,000+ Posts
    • May 2007

Re: c454 quick on/off reset not possible

Nothing too scary. You need new SSDb(not expensive) and firmware. However if you are not tech you probably should find one able to purchase the part and do the repair. While back cover is off I would recommend measuring backup battery as at that age and model they're real pain in the arse when fail. Anything measured below 3 volts DC with machine turned off and 5 minutes passed is bad sign.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• florian
      • Nov 2020

Thank you for your quick reply! So it's the ssdboard OR could it be the battery? The battery reads at 3.22V when unplugged for 5mins. Then I guess it must be the board, right?

Comment

• copyman
        Owner / Technician
        Site Contributor
        2,500+ Posts
        • Sep 2005

I would try to flash firmware first. Second thing would be to disconnect the HDD and see if it starts. Can also try to do a trouble reset by holding down the reset key while turning, black dot top right corner, wait a while and "trouble reset" shows on screen, touch , then turn off and on with main switch.

When you get machine back working you will know bad battery if all counters are wiped out to 0. If counters are ok then battery is ok. But at some point that battery will fail as I'm seeing a lot lately.

Comment

• florian
          • Nov 2020

Sounds promising. I'm haviong trouble to find the firmware, I understand it doesn't get uploaded anywhere and has to be purchased? For the trouble reset: What do you intend by the button in the top right corner. I have tried the regular reset on/off with the yellow cancel button. Is there another way of doing it?

Comment

• florian
            • Nov 2020

Ok I tried that again, really doesn't work. I also know what you intended by the black dot. It shows up but then the machine turns off immediately and turns on again. I'll try to flash the FW, if you have it could you send it by PM? That would be very helpful, thanks! If that doesn't work I'll have to get a technician to take a look at it. Given the age of the machine and the counter stats it's questionable whether that still makes sense....

Comment

• tsbservice
              Field tech
              Site Contributor
              5,000+ Posts
              • May 2007

As I've already said you need new SSD board, without that your machine would be boat anchor forever.
              A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
              Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• Xeronica
                Site Contributor
                • Nov 2023

Originally posted by florian
                Ok I tried that again, really doesn't work. I also know what you intended by the black dot. It shows up but then the machine turns off immediately and turns on again. I'll try to flash the FW, if you have it could you send it by PM? That would be very helpful, thanks! If that doesn't work I'll have to get a technician to take a look at it. Given the age of the machine and the counter stats it's questionable whether that still makes sense....
                You'll get more luck asking for firmware if you're a contributor, you'll likely need the service manual, make sure when requesting firmware that the printer model is specified exactly (c454 is different to c454e).
                I think there's already a post with firmware too...

Sounds like you need to change some parts there before you do anything or you can make things worse.

Good luck ����

Comment

Working...