Bizhub 227 - two pillars - new eMMC required?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fritzy
    Technician
    Site Contributor
    • Oct 2022

Bizhub 227 - two pillars - new eMMC required?

This weekend, I decided to revisit the troubleshooting process for my Bizhub 227, which has been sitting idle in my garage for the past 6 months. It's experiencing the issue of hanging at the two pillars/shark fins during startup.

In my previous forum post, tsbservice suggested a new eMMC board might be necessary. I think this is still the most likely next step, but would like your insights on where to go from here. You can refer to my old post for context: https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/k...n-display.html

One additional problem I've identified since then is that the CMOS battery on the MFP board had a some corrosion where it connected to the motherboard, and the battery was completely drained (0V). I cleaned the corrosion and installed a fresh CR2032 battery. Fortunatley, it doesn't look like the MFP board suffered any damage from the light corrosion.

My goal is to explore all reasonable options to revive the machine and prevent it from being sent off for recycling. With your assistance, I hope to bring it back to life and repurpose it as an overpowered home office printer.

Stuff I tried:
    • Unplugging all peripherals, ADF etc.
      • I eventually tried unplugging literally every connection except power to the MFP board and Display, but same result - just two pillars. The system did not have a HDD when I received it, but I also tried adding a blank HDD with same result.
      • I even tried booting without the eMMC board connected - same result.

• Booting to service mode (holding STOP key while powering on)
      • I get the black dot in the upper right corner of the screen, but just the two pillars on the screen.

• Installing new firmware
      • I placed various firmwares in the FW0001 folder and powered-on while holding the STOP key. The result is consistently two pillars initially, followed by four pillars after about 2 minutes, and then the system hangs.
      • The following firmwares were attempted - all with the same result:
        • A7AH0Y0-F000-G00-X8
        • A7AH0Y0-F000-G00-Y0
        • A7AH0Y0-F000-G00-Y2
        • A7AH0Y0-F000-G00-Y3

What's Next?:
    • Any other troubleshooting suggestions?
      • Other firmwares to try?
      • I've read about a firmware reset tool, but I wasn't able to find information on one for this model.

• If a new eMMC is recommended, how would a curious non-pro like me source one and what would be the cost?

Thank you all again for sharing your knowledge and expertise.
    -Fritz
  • copier tech
    Field Supervisor
    5,000+ Posts
    • Jan 2014

Re: Bizhub 227 - two pillars - new eMMC required?

See if the device will boot into trouble reset mode.

Power on the device while holding down the yellow reset key. From there you maybe able to access CE mode to run tests, format the HDD etc.

But also trying the NVram / reset tool may work.

The fact you found the root cause (dead CMOS battery) you should be able to recover the machine.

I assume this is the mono 227 ?

Comment

• Fritzy
      Technician
      Site Contributor
      • Oct 2022

Originally posted by copier tech
      See if the device will boot into trouble reset mode.

Power on the device while holding down the yellow reset key. From there you maybe able to access CE mode to run tests, format the HDD etc.

But also trying the NVram / reset tool may work.

The fact you found the root cause (dead CMOS battery) you should be able to recover the machine.

I assume this is the mono 227 ?

Thanks for the suggestions copier tech.

I tried powering on while holding the yellow reset key. It behaves exactly as it does when I hold the STOP key and power on the device; The black dot appears in upper-right, and it hangs at 2 pillars. If I repeat the process while the firmware USB is inerted, then I get 2 pillars, then 4 and it hangs there.

Which NVram / reset tool exactly would I use on this model? I may already have the file - just not sure what filename I should be looking for.

Yes - it's a mono 227 (label from back panel below)
      image.jpg

Comment

• Frapso
        • Feb 2024

Hi!
        Have you managed to solve this problem? If so, what helped?

Comment

• copier tech
          Field Supervisor
          5,000+ Posts
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Frapso
          Hi!

Start by updating the firmware, this is the most common cause.

Comment

• Fritzy
            Technician
            Site Contributor
            • Oct 2022

Originally posted by Frapso
            Hi!
            Unfortunately, I have not made any progress on this. As mentioned above, my attempts to update the firmware would see the boot progress to four pillars, but then would hang. Disconnecting and reconnecting components has had no effect. Can't get into service mode. As others have suggested, I believe it may be the eMMC board.

Does anyone know how I would source an eMMC board for a Bizhub 227? The only supplier I have found is on a suspicious looking Chinese website.

I'm open to any and all further suggestions for troubleshooting. The system appears to be in very good condition - I would like to give it new life if possible and keep it out of the recycling heap.

Thanks!,
            -Fritz

Comment

Working...