Clear All
  • BillyCarpenter
    Field Supervisor
    Site Contributor
    VIP Subscriber
    10,000+ Posts
    • Aug 2020

Smart Watches

I have an addiction to electronics but I had never owned a smart watch. Recently, I started researching the different brands. Since my phone is made by Samsung, that's who I decided to go with. I bought the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic for around $180.00. Not too bad on the price, I thought.

I've only had it a couple of days but I'm digging it. It connects to my phone via bluetooth and it's convenient in that I can make calls and answer them from my Galaxy Watch and leave my phone in my pocket. And all the Health Apps are pretty amazing, IMHO.

Anyone else own a Smart Watch? THought?
    Growth is found only in adversity.
  • slimslob
    Retired
    Site Contributor
    25,000+ Posts
    • May 2013

Re: Smart Watches

Originally posted by BillyCarpenter
    I have an addiction to electronics but I had never owned a smart watch. Recently, I started researching the different brands. Since my phone is made by Samsung, that's who I decided to go with. I bought the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic for around $180.00. Not too bad on the price, I thought.

I've only had it a couple of days but I'm digging it. It connects to my phone via bluetooth and it's convenient in that I can make calls and answer them from my Galaxy Watch and leave my phone in my pocket. And all the Health Apps are pretty amazing, IMHO.

Anyone else own a Smart Watch? THought?
    My daughter has one. The Health Apps can give you incorrect information. It tends to misread hand/arm movement when driving or at her computer as running/walking.

Comment

• Hansoon
      Field Supervisor
      Site Contributor
      2,500+ Posts
      • Sep 2007

" Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Comment

• BillyCarpenter
        Field Supervisor
        Site Contributor
        VIP Subscriber
        10,000+ Posts
        • Aug 2020

I haven't used the health apps much because I'm letting my body completely recover from the last 4-months of heavy workouts and running. More on that in another thread.

However, I walked 2 miles this morning. The heart rate, steps and distance walked seemed accurate to me. I turned off the walking app after I finished my walk. I'm not interested in tracking my total steps for the day. I think its recommended to get in 10,000 steps. I believe I read that somewhere.

I'll be investigating the sleep app tonight.

Comment

• slimslob
          Retired
          Site Contributor
          25,000+ Posts
          • May 2013

I haven't used the health apps much because I'm letting my body completely recover from the last 4-months of heavy workouts and running. More on that in another thread.

However, I walked 2 miles this morning. The heart rate, steps and distance walked seemed accurate to me. I turned off the walking app after I finished my walk. I'm not interested in tracking my total steps for the day. I think its recommended to get in 10,000 steps. I believe I read that somewhere.

I'll be investigating the sleep app tonight.
          When you go back to running, the health apps can help prevent you from over doing it. Carry the cell phone with you and you will get alerts when it thinks it is time to take a short rest period.

Comment

• Tricky
            Field Supervisor
            Site Contributor
            2,500+ Posts
            • Apr 2009

It's nowhere similar, but I haven't worn a watch in 30 years.
            Copytechnet search tool v0.8 Final

Comment

• slimslob
              Retired
              Site Contributor
              25,000+ Posts
              • May 2013

Originally posted by skynet
              It's nowhere similar, but I haven't worn a watch in 30 years.
              Same thing here. THere is something in the stainless steel backs that I have a sink contact allergy to. I am thinking a zinc compound as if I use one of the blue colored dandruff shampoos that use pyrithione zinc as the active ingredient, it makes my scalp itch.

Comment

• Phil B.
                Field Supervisor
                10,000+ Posts
                • Jul 2016

Samsung Gear Fit2 Pro here.

seems to work fine for me ... don't run but it tracks walking miles accurately. Heart rate is spot on.

Comment

• Tricky
                  Field Supervisor
                  Site Contributor
                  2,500+ Posts
                  • Apr 2009

Originally posted by slimslob
                  Same thing here. THere is something in the stainless steel backs that I have a sink contact allergy to. I am thinking a zinc compound as if I use one of the blue colored dandruff shampoos that use pyrithione zinc as the active ingredient, it makes my scalp itch.
                  At the time, I had a boring job and didn't want to watch the time tick slowly, back then you may have needed a watch, nowadays clocks are everywhere, car infotainment, microwave oven etc.
                  Copytechnet search tool v0.8 Final

Comment

• BillyCarpenter
                    Field Supervisor
                    Site Contributor
                    VIP Subscriber
                    10,000+ Posts
                    • Aug 2020

I was sitting here and my watch started vibrating and when I looked down it said: Time to get moving, you've been sitting still too long. Recently I read where several studies said that it's unhealthy to sit for too long. I got up and walked around the parking lot. That seemed to satisfy the watch. lol

Comment

• slimslob
                      Retired
                      Site Contributor
                      25,000+ Posts
                      • May 2013

I was sitting here and my watch started vibrating and when I looked down it said: Time to get moving, you've been sitting still too long. Recently I read where several studies said that it's unhealthy to sit for too long. I got up and walked around the parking lot. That seemed to satisfy the watch. lol
                      That is one of the health monitor alerts.

Comment

• tsbservice
                        Field tech
                        Site Contributor
                        5,000+ Posts
                        • May 2007

Don't be a watch slave. I would pound the damn thing with a hammer
                        A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
                        Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• blackcat4866
                          Master Of The Obvious
                          Site Contributor
                          10,000+ Posts
                          • Jul 2007

It has nothing to do with your topic, but I stopped wearing a watch in 1977.

I spent a couple of summers working in the sheet metal shop. On one of my many trips around the press, I caught my watch on the corner of the press ... dragging the watch all the way up to my shoulder. The metal band left bloody scrapes most of the way up my arm.

My co-worker cut the watch band with snips ... and that was the last day I wore a watch.

Wearing any jewelry around your hands seems like a liability, especially handling drums. =^..^=
                          If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
                          1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
                          2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
                          3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
                          4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
                          5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Comment

• BillyCarpenter
                            Field Supervisor
                            Site Contributor
                            VIP Subscriber
                            10,000+ Posts
                            • Aug 2020

Originally posted by blackcat4866
                            It has nothing to do with your topic, but I stopped wearing a watch in 1977.

I spent a couple of summers working in the sheet metal shop. On one of my many trips around the press, I caught my watch on the corner of the press ... dragging the watch all the way up to my shoulder. The metal band left bloody scrapes most of the way up my arm.

My co-worker cut the watch band with snips ... and that was the last day I wore a watch.

Wearing any jewelry around your hands seems like a liability, especially handling drums. =^..^=
                            I've heard horror stories about jewelry getting caught up in machinery. The most recent I heard was a dude with long hair working on a car and getting scalped. Ouch.

Comment

• slimslob
                              Retired
                              Site Contributor
                              25,000+ Posts
                              • May 2013

I've heard horror stories about jewelry getting caught up in machinery. The most recent I heard was a dude with long hair working on a car and getting scalped. Ouch.
                              It is not just jewelry. Mechanical calculator tech used to always have a pair of scissors within reach. You would be amazed at how quickly something like an Olivetti Divasumma 24 with its covers off could suck in a tie.

Comment

Working...