• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • luca72
    Field Supervisor
    1,000+ Posts
    • Oct 2017

Strange behavior of windows 11 during install or uninstall ricoh printers

Hi everyone, I wanted to get some feedback from you on a strange behavior of Windows 11 during the removal or installation of mf ricoh, I noticed that unlike before, that is, a few months ago, first, the removal or installation of a printer happened almost instantly, the icon appeared almost immediately or after a few seconds, now it takes a few minutes, in some cases I even had to restart the PC to remove the icon, or make it appear in the case of installation, "device configuration ongoing " appears below, does anyone know why this is happening now?
    "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)
  • slimslob
    Retired
    Site Contributor
    25,000+ Posts
    • May 2013

Re: Strange behavior of windows 11 during install or uninstall ricoh printers

SalesServiceGuy Started a thread in Connectivity a few day ago on this same problem. He didn't mention which of the MFP lines he services it had to do with though I have a feeling more than one. Win 11 Print Driver icons taking up to 15 minute to appear.

Comment

• General Copiers
      Technician
      • Feb 2020

I have this problem too, even with some Windows 10 pc.
      In addition, Windows automatically adds printers that I had deleted because they are no longer present.

For the problem of this post, I found a quick solution, because I don't feel like waiting (and I don't always have the time...).
      Once I have finished installing the printer, if I see that the icon doesn't appear, I close all the windows settings, open a Word file, click to print, and there I can select the printer I have just installed.
      Now the printer icon is also present in settings.

It seems almost like a device refresh problem.

Comment

• luca72
        Field Supervisor
        1,000+ Posts
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by slimslob
        SalesServiceGuy Started a thread in Connectivity a few day ago on this same problem. He didn't mention which of the MFP lines he services it had to do with though I have a feeling more than one. Win 11 Print Driver icons taking up to 15 minute to appear.

I think it does it with all of them, the other day it happened to me with the old mpc2051, and the relatively new mpc3004ex, two machines with a fairly significant time gap
        "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)

Comment

• luca72
          Field Supervisor
          1,000+ Posts
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by General Copiers
          I have this problem too, even with some Windows 10 pc.
          In addition, Windows automatically adds printers that I had deleted because they are no longer present.

For the problem of this post, I found a quick solution, because I don't feel like waiting (and I don't always have the time...).
          Once I have finished installing the printer, if I see that the icon doesn't appear, I close all the windows settings, open a Word file, click to print, and there I can select the printer I have just installed.
          Now the printer icon is also present in settings.

It seems almost like a device refresh problem.
          diabolical as escabotage!...I'll try at the first opportunity..thanks

Comment

• General Copiers
            Technician
            • Feb 2020

Originally posted by luca72
            diabolical as escabotage!...I'll try at the first opportunity..thanks
            Let me know how it goes. Thanks

Comment

• CopyBats
              Trusted Tech
              100+ Posts
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by General Copiers
              Let me know how it goes. Thanks
              It is a windows thing. Occurs most of the time regardless of brand. Have seen Xerox /Ricoh and even HP. Also it sometimes shows the wrong printer icon for a few minutes ( like the injket top loading printers in the 2000s).

Usually restart or patience gets the info updated.
              If it works, don't touch it.

Comment

• MIGUELMARCHENA
                Trusted Tech
                Site Contributor
                100+ Posts
                • Feb 2018

It's curious, it has happened to me the same way and as I try to configure the size, the duplex, etc. once installed, I am left wondering, the new one does not appear or the one I removed is still there.
                Sometimes in a few minutes it will be done or restart is what has helped me.

Comment

• Daniel_B81
                  Technician
                  • Jan 2019

Yeah something is messed up with Windows yes, noticed that behavior on 3 different site installations now. It seems worse on Windows 10 though.

The installation i did yesterday took far too long due to that.

Another issue i have noticed from the installation yesterday, the customer requested an easy driver with an installation program so i downloaded the 4503SP-driver instead of the universal driver and the setup program crash on about 8/10 computers on that site, just blank screen and not responding.

MP C4503SP/C5503SP/C6003SP/C4503ASP/ C5503ASP/C4503ZSP/C5503ZSP/C6003ZSP/ C4503AZSP/C5503AZSP Downloads | Ricoh Global

Just tried it on my PC now and same result
                  Attached Files

Comment

• JayPaul
                    Trusted Tech
                    250+ Posts
                    • Oct 2012

Started noticing this a couple of months ago at certain places. It was suddenly like the devices and printers section on windows had a 10 minute refesh rate. First install I noticed it on, took twice as long to do as I was waiting each time to see if it had installed properly (especially annoying as they dusted off a few old laptops that nobody used to also have printer installed on them).
                    It happened at a similar time to that weird thing where all printers were being called HP laserjet50 or whatever it was, kept noticing that for a while at customer sites.
                    Just Windows being Windows, constantly introducing new ways to mess with us and make our jobs more difficult

Comment

• Brianneoe
                      Trusted Tech
                      250+ Posts
                      • May 2015

I see this all the time lately, just go into "services" and "stop" and then "start" the "print spooler". go back to your printer window and you should see it listed.

good luck

Comment

• luca72
                        Field Supervisor
                        1,000+ Posts
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Brianneoe
                        I see this all the time lately, just go into "services" and "stop" and then "start" the "print spooler". go back to your printer window and you should see it listed.

good luck
                        Thanks, this Is a Quick operation👍

Comment

• Hart
                          Trusted Tech
                          100+ Posts
                          • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Brianneoe

good luck
                          I have to disagree with this one, it was working some years ago, this solution won't work for the new problem.

Comment

Working...