• Show
Clear All
  • copiertec
    Service Manager

Site Contributor
    1,000+ Posts
    • Jan 2016

Sharp mx-fxx2 dropping sending faxes

I'm having an issue with a mx-fxx2 fax that is dropping large faxes in the middle of transmission, for example, I will send a 15 page fax, the receiving fax will pick up and the transmission will start... it sends about 3 pages then drops out and will go into redial mode and will do the same thing once it redials. It has the current fax firmware 01.03.P2, performed sim 66-10, swapped out the fax kit and memory (yes, the memory is in the correct slot), I also had the telephone company come out to check the lines and I was told the lines are good, last of all, I plugged in another fax to the line and had no issues sending or receiving. I have seen some posts to change baud rates but am unsure how to change them for sending. I looked in the service manual and was looking at switch 34 3-6 , it says the factory setting is v17 2400bps. Is this the soft switch I should be in? It states if I change it to 1001, it will put it into v17 9600bps. Is this the how I change the baud rates for sending?
    The fax is not having an issue receiving, its just sending that it is dropping out. Any help would be appreciated.
  • spanky
    Trusted Tech

250+ Posts
    • Sep 2012

Re: Sharp mx-fxx2 dropping sending faxes

Have your customer check with their phone provider to see if the fax line has call waiting in it.

I had a machine acting the same way and what was happening was a fax was trying to come in as one was being sent.

The tone that was generated for the incoming call caused the fax to disconnect the line.

Comment

• mojorolla
      The Wolf

2,500+ Posts
      • Jan 2010

Make sure you are using the 2 line fax cord that comes with the kit.
      A 4 line fax cord will cause this symptom. There are also separate baud rates for TX and RX.
      If it is a VOIP system, set all baud rates to 9600, turn off v34 and ECM, change the coding to MMR.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Comment

• copiertec
        Service Manager

Site Contributor
        1,000+ Posts
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by mojorolla
        Make sure you are using the 2 line fax cord that comes with the kit.
        A 4 line fax cord will cause this symptom. There are also separate baud rates for TX and RX.
        If it is a VOIP system, set all baud rates to 9600, turn off v34 and ECM, change the coding to MMR.

I have read some of your prior posts concerning fax issues and seen where you have posted to make sure it is a two line fax cord, I checked and it is. I am going to adjust some of the speed setting and see if that works.

Comment

• spanky
          Trusted Tech

250+ Posts
          • Sep 2012

Attached is a bulletin for the MX-M283-503 series with the MX-FXX2 fax.

It shows how to dumb down the fax
          Attached Files

Comment

• copiertec
            Service Manager

Site Contributor
            1,000+ Posts
            • Jan 2016

Well, fingers crossed, I think the issue is resolved. It's been two days and no issues ( I hope I'm not jinxing myself and speaking too soon...as I am very superstitious about saying anything is fixed in any way.) Thank you all for the help! I appreciate it.

Comment

• erickott
              • Feb 2024

Hi everyone
              I am working with a sharp MX-M2651 it has a MX-FX15 Expansion kit the problem I am having is is the same thing because we are running VOIP
              I need to slow down the Baud Rate to 9600 I went throught this trend and was unable to find switch 27 - 29 on the unit itself or on the board it was plugged into however I did see a switch or SW3 1 and 2 next to the connector that the MX-FX15 was plugged into. I am missing something or looking in the wrong place thanks for any help .

Comment

• ihatefinishers13
                Senior MFP Technician

250+ Posts
                • Feb 2020

Originally posted by erickott
                Hi everyone
                I am working with a sharp MX-M2651 it has a MX-FX15 Expansion kit the problem I am having is is the same thing because we are running VOIP
                I need to slow down the Baud Rate to 9600 I went throught this trend and was unable to find switch 27 - 29 on the unit itself or on the board it was plugged into however I did see a switch or SW3 1 and 2 next to the connector that the MX-FX15 was plugged into. I am missing something or looking in the wrong place thanks for any help .
                Softswitches are in simulation mode - in this case it's in 66-1.

Comment

• Hart
                  Trusted Tech

100+ Posts
                  • Feb 2024

Originally posted by erickott
                  Hi everyone
                  There is also the possibility to tell the copier that it's a VOIP line in the settings (sadly can't produce a screenshot).

When you connect to a digital line When Digital Line Network is enabled, the send level will be 15 dB or less when you
                  connect to a digital line. In "Settings (administrator)", select [System Settings] → [Image Send Settings] → [Fax
                  Settings] → [Default Settings] → [Digital Line Network].

Comment

Working...