• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • driving lots of miles
    Trusted Tech
    250+ Posts
    • Jun 2016

Sharp Mx4071 slow to boot and run

I have a sharp mx4071 with 167361 copies that is giving me major problems. Machine is giving a U2-00 Code EEprom read write error. We have replaced the mSata with the updated MFP Program Rom VHI0MFP25085C This did not help and we replaced the SCN MFP PWB and I'm getting the code now. Initial call was for an E7-90 code and also an E7-03 code also really slow processing and many please wait messages. WE did try a new HDD with no difference. The firmware is updated. We have the machine currently in the shop and the customer has a loaner machine. I'm currently out of ideas and where to go from here. I'm getting ready to submit a ticket to sharp. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
  • JLSam
    Senior Tech
    500+ Posts
    • Jun 2015

Re: Sharp Mx4071 slow to boot and run

Originally posted by driving lots of miles
    I have a sharp mx4071 with 167361 copies that is giving me major problems. Machine is giving a U2-00 Code EEprom read write error. We have replaced the mSata with the updated MFP Program Rom VHI0MFP25085C This did not help and we replaced the SCN MFP PWB and I'm getting the code now. Initial call was for an E7-90 code and also an E7-03 code also really slow processing and many please wait messages. WE did try a new HDD with no difference. The firmware is updated. We have the machine currently in the shop and the customer has a loaner machine. I'm currently out of ideas and where to go from here. I'm getting ready to submit a ticket to sharp. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I have a long list of E7-93/ E7-03 error logs, but for previous models. I have not encountered this specific problem with Phoenix2 boxes, only Phoenix1 boxes, so I will post them here, hope they help.

MX5070
    Problem: MULTIPLE ERROR CODES:
    E7-90 -Communication Error from MFP - to - PCU
    E7-A7 -SSD Trouble
    U2-40 - SSD Card - System Partition Error
    U2-70 - OCR Dictionary Error
    U2-60 - Watermark Check Error
    Service Performed:
    Dta corruption - Held job in HDD... Boot failure. New mSata and Emergency CN update - OK!

MX-3070
    Problem: E7-90 and U2-91
    Service: Replaced mSata and Emergency CN update - OK! U2-91 > Sim 16.

MX-M3070N
    Problem: E7-03, Reboots.
    Service: Data HDD Failure. Emergency CN Update - NG. New HDD> Emergency CN Update - ok!

MX-6070V
    Problem: E7-03, E7-93, U2-41 w/ PRI_JAM
    Service: New HDD, Emergency CN Update - OK!

Should note that for U2-00 I have only encountered it twice... but with a 2640, and a 4141.
    2640 was reset with Sim 16. Never came back.
    4141 we replaced the MFP PWB, with Emergency CN update. Never came back.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• ihatefinishers13
      Senior MFP Technician
      250+ Posts
      • Feb 2020

We had issues on a machine with a weird FW corruption code that we had to replace the SCN/MFP board twice because there was a bad batch of memory on the boards.

I doubt there's anything to do with it, but also I'd make sure there isn't anything on the DSPF PWB... Or, just unplug every accessory not required to run the machine, and see what happens.

Comment

• mloudy
        Senior Tech
        500+ Posts
        • Oct 2015

For the U2-00 I would inspect the 8 pin eeprom that you moved from the old SCN pwb to the new SCN pwb. Make sure it is installed in the correct position and remove it and re-install. Perhaps the eeprom got static zapped during the during the switch.

Comment

• JLSam
          Senior Tech
          500+ Posts
          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by mloudy
          For the U2-00 I would inspect the 8 pin eeprom that you moved from the old SCN pwb to the new SCN pwb. Make sure it is installed in the correct position and remove it and re-install. Perhaps the eeprom got static zapped during the during the switch.
          First eeprom I removed was a actually on a 4140. I remember I was excited because I finally get an excuse to use a ROM REMOVAL TOOL on a cheap tech kit, that I had for YEARS.
          Looked like this:

Worked like ass, wound up using a flathead and spring tool.

But yeah, I agree, those pins are bent so easily. And it's a hassle to get a replacement from SHARP.

Comment

• mloudy
            Senior Tech
            500+ Posts
            • Oct 2015

I had a tech break 1 leg off of one of those chips.

I was able to put it in my eeprom programmer and hold a paper clip against the tiny exposed bit of metal long enough to read it into the PC. I used that file to program a spare eeprom.

If you need to get a copier going that has a bad eeprom you can actually take a spare chip, read it and find the serial number in the read file. Enter the SN you need and hit program. When you install and boot up the copier the meters will be off but the machine will not reject the eeprom becasue of a SN mismatch.

Someone with more skill than me might even be able to find the meters in all that HEX mess and program them. I have found them and entered the new meters in HEX but they have never held once installed.

I use a thin blade pocket knife or screwdriver to remove them. Working from one end to the other slowly.

Comment

• driving lots of miles
              Trusted Tech
              250+ Posts
              • Jun 2016

I have a partial solution, I reseated the eeproms and it is now copying and printing from a jump drive, and I have no errors showing up. The problem now is that when I try to go into settings it just says please wait. When I go into to the sim mode and try to print anything from there nothing happens (sim 64-5 and Sim 22-6)

Comment

• ihatefinishers13
                Senior MFP Technician
                250+ Posts
                • Feb 2020

I'd love to know what Sharp thinks about this. I keep getting a useless tech named Darren when I call in, and if you get him, let us know what you think about his response to your issue.

Comment

• mloudy
                  Senior Tech
                  500+ Posts
                  • Oct 2015

I know you have installed a different HDD but that sounds like a bad HDD to me.

Can you export the 22-6 to a thumb drive?

Comment

• ihatefinishers13
                    Senior MFP Technician
                    250+ Posts
                    • Feb 2020

I'm wondering the same thing, especially if it wasn't a NEW HDD, just a different one, it could be the same issue.

Even with a brand new one, we've had to do a CN update before it boots and operates properly.

Comment

• driving lots of miles
                      Trusted Tech
                      250+ Posts
                      • Jun 2016

Yes it exports to the thumb drive. I installed a new HDD but the machine wont come to ready.

Comment

• mloudy
                        Senior Tech
                        500+ Posts
                        • Oct 2015

If you are able to export the 22-6 to a USB drive open the txt file and scroll down to almost the bottom. You will see the HDD. Likely a Toshiba MQ01.....

If there is anything but all zeros in the two lines below it then the HDD has issues.

HDD.jpg

Have you done an end of lease wipe?

Comment

• mloudy
                          Senior Tech
                          500+ Posts
                          • Oct 2015

Is there any chance the eeprom was installed backwards in the field prior to being picked up? I just read the Handy Guide instructions for proper eeprom handling and found this:

1. Ensure to follow ESD procedures (using an earth strap) while handling the PWBs as EEPROM data may become corrupted due to static charge.2. Never insert the EEPROM to the socket in reverse.3. U2 trouble occurs 100% if the machine is turned on after inserting the EEPROM in reverse. Execution ofSim16 to clear this U2 trouble will lead to corrupted data which cannot be fully recovered in the field.

Comment

• driving lots of miles
                            Trusted Tech
                            250+ Posts
                            • Jun 2016

If you are able to export the 22-6 to a USB drive open the txt file and scroll down to almost the bottom. You will see the HDD. Likely a Toshiba MQ01.....

If there is anything but all zeros in the two lines below it then the HDD has issues.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60493[/ATTACH]

Have you done an end of lease wipe?
                            Unfortunately I have Numbers there. I installed a new HDD but it would not boot up. I cant do an end of lease at the moment as the password has been changed. I'm working on getting that.

Comment

• copiertec
                              Service Manager
                              Site Contributor
                              1,000+ Posts
                              • Jan 2016

Have you tried a 56-1,2 from another good 4071 and installed that on to the one you are having issues with? It will also reset password if needed.

Comment

Working...