PDA

View Full Version : Minolta EP-2010 copy streaks and bands.

Custom Search

larryg
01-09-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm trying to repair a copier donated to a non-profit that was
said to be in good condition before being moved. I'm not a real
copier tech, although I know how they work having built
copiers and offset duplicators about 35 years ago at Addressograph-
Multigraph (now defunct). I tell you that so you won't think of me
as a total amateur. My background now is electronic instrumentation.

This copier works fine except for streaks and bands in the paper
feed direction. There is so much toner on the PC drum it almost
looks as if there had been a toner spill. I downloaded a service
manual and I'm not sure where to begin. Any tips appreciated.
I cleaned the corona units accessable from the front cover, but
nothing else. The mylar strip that can be seen from the underside
of the PC drum isn't touching..the description in manual sounds
as if it is always in contact with the surface, but that would require
processing the original for each copy. Is that correct?

Any help will be much appreciated; we don't have
the $$ to bring in a pro and it would be too bad to just dump this
machine.

wagon
01-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Have you cleaned all of the optics? Clean the optics first, then check all of the corona wires (transfer / separation and main charge). Check the magnetic roller to ensure proper developer distribution (there may be paper dust under the doctor blade). Maybe the drum cleaning blade is stuffed?

Scott_Lewis
01-10-2008, 02:35 AM
We could be a LOT more specific if you could provide a good picture of a sample copy.

larryg
01-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the info. Here's a sample copy.....the copies have
cleaned up a little after running about 50 copies....think I should
just run a ream of paper through it? Larry

Scott_Lewis
01-11-2008, 03:55 AM
Thanks for the info. Here's a sample copy.....the copies have
cleaned up a little after running about 50 copies....think I should
just run a ream of paper through it? Larry

After moving a copier, especially involving a lot shaking, I've seen dirty copies right afterwards that will clean up on their own. All that toner that is sitting out of harms way gets knocked down and moved around.

I don't see any periodic patterns on the sample, so probably not a drum or fuser problem. You said earlier that the drum was covered with toner. Sounds more like a cleaning blade or waste toner removal problem.

An easy fix might be to open and raise up the top section, loosen two captive screws holding the photo conductor unit in, pull the PCU out, take the charge corona assembly off the top of the PCU, remove the front cover then the pin holding the drum in and carefully lift the drum out of the PCU. You'll see where all that "toner spill" is coming from.

Cover and protect that photoconductor, the coating (brown) is light sensitive and VERY fragile.

Now you can clean up the loose toner. Keep in mind there are electrostatic sensitive devices on that black housing. That mylar you mentioned I think is the toner antispill mylar, that is there to attempt to catch stray toner from the cleaning blade from falling onto the paper. Look where the long coil is behind the cleaning blade, there should not be piles of toner there. IOW, you should clearly see the coil above the waste, to be recycled, toner.

If the copy quality of the copies is basically good with the exception of the streaks, you might need to replace the cleaning blade. Check back for proper procedure.

Good luck.

larryg
01-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks Scott. I'll do as you suggest and let you know
how it works out. Larry

Custom Search