Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Not a WD40 story, but many moons ago, I had a customer do a very "thorough" job of cleaning the corona assemblies on a Canon NP L7.

So thorough, in fact, that he took them to a utility sink, and washed them with soap and water...then he put them back in the machine and turned it on.

Needless to say, a lightning storm immediately ensued, destroying half the copier.

The worst part...this genius was an electrical engineer.
Same here not a WD-40 story. Many years ago when NP1020 Canons were current we had a customer who "hired" his daughter to work for the summer when she was home from college. We had one of the mentioned machines at a sub office as a rental. Well got the call that the machine had to be unplugged after it started smoking. I get there and yes the machine's normally off white covers were smoke colored. I also noticed a bottle of I think it was a bottle of Minolta liquid toner. Seems daughter decided to replace the toner herself and found a very old bottle of the stuff that should have been thrown away years before. She added the minolta "toner" to the canon toner sleeve, pushed it in and turned the sleeve like you are supposed to. Then closed the clamshell. And you guessed it the liquid toner ran all over the insides and down into the main charge/ separation assembly. Only things usable were the the pick up rollers and the exposure lamp. The best part was her explanation. "Well Toner is toner who cares who makes it" Daddy bought that rental.

Been a few other times when some real "recycle everyting" types took the initiative and poured the waste toner from some mita/copystar machines back into the empty toner instead of throwing away perfectly good toner. And of course other budget minded people that buy the cheapest toner they can find and try to use that instead of the model specific toners. Like once when a purchasing department employee went to Staples and found some Sharp 7300 series toner on sale , because it had been discontinued. Bought all he could and then poured it into the empty toner bottle for a Sharp 2030. Then could not understand why the machine would not make good copies. And then showed me the "new toners" he had put in the machine after he was forced to pour them into the old bottles. Even more fun was he managed to figure out how to make a removable seal to slide the now refilled toner bottle into the newer sharp.