Samsung Xpress C480W prints color but not black

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • benmja
    Technician
    • Nov 2023
    • 10

    [Misc] Samsung Xpress C480W prints color but not black

    Hi,

    I have a Samsung Xpres C480W which I purchased second hand. The waste toner cartridge was not empty, and the machine had a lot of dust inside. I have used a lot of time taking out parts and cleaning it.

    Now the printer prints OK in yellow, magenta and cyan. But not BLACK. I have tested many things - printing status reports, black images, black shapes, and text. Nothing.

    I have replaced the black toner with a new one. Same result.

    Everything seems to work except the black.

    Thank you so much for any suggestions!

    Regards,
    Bendik
  • dalewb74
    Senior Tech
    Site Contributor
    500+ Posts
    • Feb 2018
    • 982

    #2
    Re: Samsung Xpress C480W prints color but not black

    buy a new machine

    Comment

    • benmja
      Technician
      • Nov 2023
      • 10

      #3
      Re: Samsung Xpress C480W prints color but not black

      Originally posted by dalewb74
      buy a new machine
      That's super helpful. Glad you took the time.

      Anyone with some competency when it comes to parts in this printer? Since everything except the black works, there must be some solution - like replacing something?

      Comment

      • Xandy_73
        Technician
        • Oct 2023
        • 29

        #4
        Re: Samsung Xpress C480W prints color but not black

        Start by reviewing everything you disassembled.
        To avoid printing only black, check the grounding, the gear that moves the toner and even the laser unit.

        Comment

        • benmja
          Technician
          • Nov 2023
          • 10

          #5
          Re: Samsung Xpress C480W prints color but not black

          Ok so I have reviewed and cleaned every part, and the inside of the case. With a dry microfiber cloth. It's not perfect, but I am guessing it does not have to be 100% clean everywhere.

          I have taken off and opened the laser unit, cleaned glass. It looked fine to me.

          I am not sure what you mean by grounding, and the gear that moves the toner - any details to what I do here?

          Thanks for helping man!

          Comment

          • Xandy_73
            Technician
            • Oct 2023
            • 29

            #6
            Re: Samsung Xpress C480W prints color but not black

            Originally posted by benmja
            Ok so I have reviewed and cleaned every part, and the inside of the case. With a dry microfiber cloth. It's not perfect, but I am guessing it does not have to be 100% clean everywhere.

            I have taken off and opened the laser unit, cleaned glass. It looked fine to me.

            I am not sure what you mean by grounding, and the gear that moves the toner - any details to what I do here?

            Thanks for helping man!

            Grounding number 2 and 3 in the image...

            Capturar.jpg

            Capturar.jpg

            Capturar.jpg

            Comment

            • benmja
              Technician
              • Nov 2023
              • 10

              #7
              Re: Samsung Xpress C480W prints color but not black

              Adding two attached pictures of the gear.

              I have tried to rotate the wheels. The toner is new, so it rotates. when inserted it is hard to rotate, but I have managed to rotate it a bit.

              What else should I check regarding the groundings?

              Thanks again
              Attached Files

              Comment

              • benmja
                Technician
                • Nov 2023
                • 10

                #8
                Re: Samsung Xpress C480W prints color but not black

                Originally posted by benmja
                Adding two attached pictures of the gear.

                I have tried to rotate the wheels. The toner is new, so it rotates. when inserted it is hard to rotate, but I have managed to rotate it a bit.

                What else should I check regarding the groundings?

                Thanks again
                Also adding a test page - black is actually partly visible here.
                Attached Files

                Comment

                • benmja
                  Technician
                  • Nov 2023
                  • 10

                  #9
                  Re: Samsung Xpress C480W prints color but not black

                  Originally posted by benmja
                  Also adding a test page - black is actually partly visible here.
                  Can also add that I did a grayscale print that turned out completely empty.

                  I did a half-way test and did not see any black on the transfer roller or drum.

                  Comment

                  • Jack79
                    Trusted Tech
                    250+ Posts
                    • Jul 2014
                    • 295

                    #10
                    Re: Samsung Xpress C480W prints color but not black

                    Originally posted by benmja
                    Can also add that I did a grayscale print that turned out completely empty.

                    I did a half-way test and did not see any black on the transfer roller or drum.
                    I would start with replacing drum. By the way when cleaning your printer how long have you keep drum outside the printer? Was drum exposed to the light or did you cover it with black sheet or hide somewhere in closed box etc.?

                    Comment

                    • benmja
                      Technician
                      • Nov 2023
                      • 10

                      #11
                      Re: Samsung Xpress C480W prints color but not black

                      Originally posted by Jack79
                      I would start with replacing drum. By the way when cleaning your printer how long have you keep drum outside the printer? Was drum exposed to the light or did you cover it with black sheet or hide somewhere in closed box etc.?

                      Ok I will try to find a replacement drum. Thanks!

                      I have tried to cover it up most of the time. I have only exposed it to weak lighting anyway, not sunlight or anything.

                      Comment

                      • Venom
                        Technical/IT Support
                        500+ Posts
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 764

                        #12
                        Re: Samsung Xpress C480W prints color but not black

                        Clean the laser glasses, they are behind the cartridges. If the laser light gets blocked, it prints lighter. Then if it still prints light, you need a new cartridge.
                        IBM, Mita, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Kyocera, HyPAS, Canon, Oce, Samsung, HP, TEO IP PBX/Unified Communications, Comptia Network+ Comptia PDI+ Certifications

                        Comment

                        • benmja
                          Technician
                          • Nov 2023
                          • 10

                          #13
                          Re: Samsung Xpress C480W prints color but not black

                          Replaced drum. Same result.

                          Cleaned laser, same result.

                          I have now bought another second hand printer of this model, and it works perfectly.

                          Thanks for the input you gave me here, too bad there was no obvious solution.

                          Comment

                          Working...