X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Copy of a Copy
    Technician
    • Feb 2019

Production MFP's

I have worked on larger Toshiba mfps like a 7516ac. Are working on production copiers that stretch like 20 feet plus in length all that different to work on? I would imagine there would just be more boards for each section of bridge or finisher units but as far as the main unit, I would think the boards and troubleshooting process would be relatively similar. loaded question I know.
  • Saturn
    Trusted Tech
    Site Contributor
    100+ Posts
    • Nov 2023

Re: Production MFP's

The requirements for service response time, reliability and print quality are significantly higher. There are many different paper feed and finishing options. The machines are also much more robust and built for long runs.
    I don't care about who your father is, as long as I'm fishing here, you won't walk on water.

Comment

• allan
      RTFM!!
      5,000+ Posts
      • Apr 2010

I find production machines easier to work on. More modular and space to work. The trouble shooting is all the same. Do not be intimidated by the size of it. As mentioned the uptime gets much more critical.
      Whatever

Comment

• mrwho
        Major Asshole!
        Site Contributor
        2,500+ Posts
        • Apr 2009

My experience from my time on the field:

Pros:
        - Easier to work on
        - Parts are generally more accessible inside the machine compared to smaller MFPs
        - Service modes usually have more options that will help you diagnose the problems
        - If properly maintained, will have many more prints in between calls

Cons:
        - Much heavier - if for any reason you need to move it aside, you'll have a hard time
        - Customers are much more demanding (with good reason) regarding both quality and response time
        - The argument "You see, there's nothing we can do - it's by design" will be much more dificult to sell to the customer.
        ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
        Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Comment

• slimslob
          Retired
          Site Contributor
          25,000+ Posts
          • May 2013

With production models it is best to keep downtime to a minimum. To achieve that it is advisable to utilize either Field Replacement Modules or Customer Replacement Modules for B/W productions. The main difference is who replaces the modules, you or a trained customer. In either case you do the rebuilds, PMs, usually in shop. For color Production I found it best to have a full set of PCU cleaning stations and an ITB cleaning station to swap our at the customer's and rebuild in shop.

Comment

• Copy of a Copy
            Technician
            • Feb 2019

Wow! Great information. Thanks everyone. This site has become invaluable. I think it's time to contribute. Thanks again.

Comment

• rthonpm
              Field Supervisor
              2,500+ Posts
              • Aug 2007

For production sized machines, make sure you keep as close to the PM schedule as possible either with an onsite rebuild or customer replacements. You can run past the yield in most cases, but it's better to keep ahead, especially as the machines run hard and when things go bad: they go bad. My profile pic is from a tear down of an old AF 2075 that had the developer unit contaminate all of the feed bearings and gears. Took a couple hours to replace all of them and get the machine back together, all because the previous tech never kept up with the PM cycles and replacements.

Comment

• SalesServiceGuy
                Field Supervisor
                Site Contributor
                5,000+ Posts
                • Dec 2009

Servicing production machines requires a differnt mindset on the part of your business owner.

Be prepared to stock locally, a dedicated parts cabinet. Customers do not really want to hear about how I can get the part next day by Air freight (which might stretch into two days).

Comment

• dalewb74
                  Senior Tech
                  Site Contributor
                  500+ Posts
                  • Feb 2018

as mentioned, stay on top of the maintenance.

Comment

• ninadobrev
                    • Jul 2023

While your experience with the Toshiba 7516ac is valuable, working on 20+ foot production copiers will likely involve additional challenges due to their scale, complexity, and specialized requirements. Adapting to new systems, gaining specific knowledge, and utilizing proper procedures will be crucial for successful service.

Comment

• anothertech
                      Service Manager
                      Site Contributor
                      1,000+ Posts
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by dalewb74
                      as mentioned, stay on top of the maintenance.

1+ I can't stress this enough. On production, you can't let parts go till failure. You must do proper PM's and constantly be on the lookout for what you think the next service call will be and fix it while you're there, before it fails. Also important to stay on top of firmware updates.

Print shop managers don't want to hear you say the feed rollers needed to be replaced, when you were just there two days ago and they haven't run the machine much since then.

Comment

Working...