• Jul 2023

Brother HL6180DW Printing "Fuzzy"

• dalewb74
    Senior Tech
    Site Contributor
    500+ Posts
    • Feb 2018

Re: Brother HL6180DW Printing "Fuzzy"

without seeing the photos. if the fuser roller isn't doing its job properly, then it might not fuse as it should. if you wipe your hand across the text, does anything come off of the paper?

Comment

• tsbservice
      Field tech
      Site Contributor
      5,000+ Posts
      • May 2007

I would say fuser. Try to run paper on thick in driver instead of plain paper does it make any difference?
      A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
      Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• blackcat4866
        Master Of The Obvious
        Site Contributor
        10,000+ Posts
        • Jul 2007

Where are those samples? =^..^=
        If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
        1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
        2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
        3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
        4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
        5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Comment

• RobertM64
          • Jul 2023

Here are links to the images:

I find strange that the Printer Settings printout initially looks good and then goes to crap (you can see this when you zoom in), maybe because the fuser was not yet heated enough?

I could not find the setting to change the paper thickness. I did up the "density" to the maximum setting and it darkened things up some, maybe an improvement. Unfortunately, when I went in to inspect the fuser, I now have paper jams and am unable to print further at the moment. If I break it down again, I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and by a film/roller combo and new grease and take care of it all at once. Fuser does not appear to have too much time on it per the Printer Settings printout.

Comment

• blackcat4866
            Master Of The Obvious
            Site Contributor
            10,000+ Posts
            • Jul 2007

My suggestion is to select "Thick" or "Thicker" media type in the print driver settings. the machine will prompt you lo load the appropriate media to the bypass tray. Look at pg 21 of the users manual:
            Manuals | HL-6180DW | United States | Brother

It looks like a fusing issue to me. On a Brother 70 - 90g/m2 is standard "Plain" media type.

You can determine the media weight even if you do not have a package label. Just weight up a page (or multiple pages) in grams, then divide that number by the number of pages, then divide that number by the area of the page in square meters. It's not rocket science. =^..^=

Comment

• RobertM64
              • Jul 2023

The paper I'm using is the Hammermill 24lb Premium Laser, 90gsm, so should be fine. I am going to have to get back in and see what is amiss on the fuser side of the printer, as it is jamming every time now, prints half a page then gets stuck. Strangely, though, some of the text on the half page is sharp, some of it is fuzzy.

Comment

• RobertM64
                • Jul 2023

Is Super Lube acceptable for use under the fuser film sleeve?

Comment

• havokprod
                  Trusted Tech
                  Site Contributor
                  VIP Subscriber
                  100+ Posts
                  • Oct 2012

There was a big problem with those fuser units when that seires of printer and MFP came out. I replaced maybe 70+ fusers under warrenty, they even extened the warrenty period to 24 months. some even came back for a seconed fuser replacement with in the warrenty period. Not worth fixing if it comming out of your pocket, it will fail again. the series after that they fixed the problems ( HL-L6200DW) rock solid little printers, I've had some fusers give 160K no problems.
                  SU_P1398.pdf

Comment

• RobertM64
                    • Jul 2023

I went ahead and ordered some HP300 to see if regreasing the fuser sleeve fixes the problem. I have several spare DR-720 and TN-780 so I'd want to replace the printer with another model that is reliable and uses these if it comes to that.

Comment

• RobertM64
                      • Jul 2023

Originally posted by havokprod
                      There was a big problem with those fuser units when that seires of printer and MFP came out. I replaced maybe 70+ fusers under warrenty, they even extened the warrenty period to 24 months. some even came back for a seconed fuser replacement with in the warrenty period. Not worth fixing if it comming out of your pocket, it will fail again. the series after that they fixed the problems ( HL-L6200DW) rock solid little printers, I've had some fusers give 160K no problems.
                      [ATTACH]59105[/ATTACH]
                      That Service Update describes my problem exactly, hopefully servicing the unit will fix the issue. Are there recommendations from Brother on how to service it or do they just recommend replacing the entire fuser? The The Service Manual does not address the greasing of the heater, only lubrication indicated is for gears. There are several videos on YouTube describing the procedure, but would be nice to see something official.

Comment

• Gift
                        Service Manager
                        1,000+ Posts
                        • Mar 2011

Brother just states "swap the entire fuser" it's not meant to be serviced with single parts.

Comment

• RobertM64
                          • Jul 2023

Well, I am pleased to report that, for now at least, regreasing under the fuser sleeve has solved the problem, print outs are as sharp as ever. I got some of the Molykote HP300 from partsmart (2g was enough, though I did buy an extra jar in case) and referenced a couple of videos on youtube. Thanks to all for commenting on the issue, the service bulletin in particular was useful, as it was reassuring to know I was on the right track.

Comment

• blackcat4866
                            Master Of The Obvious
                            Site Contributor
                            10,000+ Posts
                            • Jul 2007

Congratulations! =^..^=

Comment

Working...