• Show
Clear All
  • JR Skewing
    Technician
    Site Contributor
    • Sep 2019

California 'Right to Repair'

from 'The Verge' 10/10/2023 -
    "Governor Gavin Newsom has signed SB 244, or the Right to Repair Act into law."
    For those wishing to go on a political rant, please start your own thread.
    By posting this material, I seek constructive comments about the ramifications and methods for us indies.
    Specifically, take note of the bold typenot an authorized repair provider, as defined, of a manufacturer to provide a written notice of that fact to any customer seeking repair of an electronic or appliance product before the repair facility or service dealer repairs the product, and to disclose if it uses replacement parts that are used or from a supplier that is not the manufacturer. The bill would also authorize a city, a county, a city and county, or the state to bring an action in superior court to impose civil penalties on a person or entity for violating the Right to Repair Act, as provided. The bill would make these requirements and enforcement provisions operative on July 1, 2024.

Mebbe I can place the required notice with a rubber stamp on the reverse of my business card.
    ...Lorenzo
  • wjurls
    Trusted Tech
    Site Contributor
    250+ Posts
    • Feb 2017

Re: California 'Right to Repair'

Some of this is vague (as usual in California) "replacement parts that are used or from a supplier that is not the manufacturer"
    I always use OEM parts but don't buy them direct from the manufacturer. Does that require disclosure? Or are they only referring to the use of aftermarket parts?

California is known to take a otherwise noble idea and turning it into a boondoggle. Now every service provider will have to provide the "not authorized service provider) disclaimer that will become so ambiguous that it will be ignored/ Just like the Prop 65 nonsense.

Comment

• copyman
      Owner / Technician
      Site Contributor
      2,500+ Posts
      • Sep 2005

From what I read (quickly) I didn't see anything specifically for "office equipment". I took it more for home appliances, etc.
      Like the other poster said CA is so vague with their nonsense laws you can never get a handle on it. Seems the laws are never to help the little guys like us Indies!

I feel for you brother. Know 3 different family members that ran from CA. They couldn't take the taxes or laws anymore.

Best of luck
      Last edited by copyman; 11-15-2023, 12:49 AM.

Comment

• SalesServiceGuy
        Field Supervisor
        Site Contributor
        5,000+ Posts
        • Dec 2009

California's "security" laws have forced most OEMs to write changes into their firmware that prompts anyone setting up a new copier/ printer for the first time to change the default Admin password for both the user interface and the service interface.

This has created a need for some dealers to make a modest investment into "Password Keeper" software that both suggests strong passwords to use and records the same.

Or you can just type in the same default OEM Admin password three times.

In many ways, what becomes law in California forces changes across the world.

Comment

• slimslob
          Retired
          Site Contributor
          25,000+ Posts
          • May 2013

a wholesale price to the retailer of not less than $50 nor more than $99.99 is more going to affect Convenience Stores that sell low end "burner" phones and shopping center kiosks than major office equipment dealer.

Comment

• jameswesley435
            • Dec 2023

For indie businesses, this means enhanced access to information and parts for repairs, fostering fair competition with authorized providers. Ensuring compliance with the Act, such as providing written notice and using authorized parts, will be crucial. The mention of a Truck Repair App is unclear in this context, but if it relates to your business, adapting to the Act's requirements is essential for continued success.

Comment

• rthonpm
              Field Supervisor
              2,500+ Posts
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by SalesServiceGuy
              California's "security" laws have forced most OEMs to write changes into their firmware that prompts anyone setting up a new copier/ printer for the first time to change the default Admin password for both the user interface and the service interface.

This has created a need for some dealers to make a modest investment into "Password Keeper" software that both suggests strong passwords to use and records the same.

Or you can just type in the same default OEM Admin password three times.

In many ways, what becomes law in California forces changes across the world.
              Which should be done anyway... Using default passwords on any kind of equipment in 2023 is absolute malpractise...

Even before that, for the equipment I support I would change the password of all printers and MFPs to a static password unique to each client, or with devices where administration is shared we create a separate admin account for our own use. It's basic security, which sadly a lot of dealers seem to neglect for their equipment. Printers may not be an exciting target, but they can be used as a means of collecting information: for instance, by accessing the address book I could get the location of scans for the HR department or Finance and save myself time for scanning every server in a victim's environment for information of value.

If a dealer is creating a unique password for every device, they're making it harder than they need to: a single account specific password, properly protected is going to be just as secure. The only thing the password manager should be doing is working as a shared resource for techs to get the necessary credentials for the client they're onsite with.

Comment

• rthonpm
                Field Supervisor
                2,500+ Posts
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by wjurls
                Some of this is vague (as usual in California) "replacement parts that are used or from a supplier that is not the manufacturer"
                I always use OEM parts but don't buy them direct from the manufacturer. Does that require disclosure? Or are they only referring to the use of aftermarket parts?

California is known to take a otherwise noble idea and turning it into a boondoggle. Now every service provider will have to provide the "not authorized service provider) disclaimer that will become so ambiguous that it will be ignored/ Just like the Prop 65 nonsense.
                Even if you're buying OEM parts from a third-party, the original source is the manufacturer: you're just using a reseller. Even as an independent, I've used the fact that I'm using genuine parts as a selling point to my clients. If I have to go the third-party route, I just send the client a blanket form stating that I've used an aftermarket part as an alternative to genuine and that the same warranty to genuine parts applies to our work.

Overall, the right to repair bill isn't going to affect the office industry because most of the equipment it deals with are repairable and manuals are readily available. It's the appliance type devices that are sealed with no available documentation or heavy equipment like John Deere, which software codes its equipment so that third-party repairs are all but impossible. Likely firms like PitneyBowes or other DRM type vendors may be hit but the vendor isn't going to have much to worry about.

Comment

Working...