• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JVergin
    Service Tech / IT Rep
    100+ Posts
    • Jan 2009

creating new Gmail accounts for scan to E-Mail

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue with Gmail in the past couple months?

Our company sells Kyocera products. A lot of our customers don't have any IT. So, when those customers need scan to email setup, and I'm unable to use their current email server for whatever reason, I will often just create a new Gmail account for the copier to use. I will of course enable 2 factor authentication and create an app password for the copier to use. I'm not sure this is necessary but I will also go through the security prompts and click "Yes, It was me" for everything applicable.

Recently, however, the accounts I create for this purpose are somehow getting flagged and disabled stating there was suspicious activity detected. This usually happens within a day of creating the account. I can re-enable the account, but from then on even if I create another app password, it will never accept that as a form of authentication again even from another copier. The copier will tell me Gmail responded with an authentication error.

I am NOT having any issues with account I've created in 2023 and before.

Anyone else have this issue?

Do you use any other smtp service for instances like this? If so, I'd like to know what you use so I can check into it.

Thank you!
  • slimslob
    Retired
    Site Contributor
    25,000+ Posts
    • May 2013

Re: creating new Gmail accounts for scan to E-Mail

I would say that it is because those accounts are getting a large number of high page count emails all from the same source sender and to multiple destinations, something that is very common for bulk mailer. Have you actually talked to their current email provider? I will bet many of them have the same provider, often the ISP. Most have published requirements for email from a scanner.

Comment

• dalewb74
      Senior Tech
      Site Contributor
      500+ Posts
      • Feb 2018

you can also google the issue you are having. and usually if it is available, there will be a fix on it from google. just the same as you can google it to find out how to setup the scan to email using the gmail server info.

Comment

• slimslob
        Retired
        Site Contributor
        25,000+ Posts
        • May 2013

Originally posted by dalewb74
        you can also google the issue you are having. and usually if it is available, there will be a fix on it from google. just the same as you can google it to find out how to setup the scan to email using the gmail server info.
        Most of the Google configurations have limitations as to how many pieces of mail can be set from one user in any 24 hour period. The best way to use Google for a company is to have the company obtain their own Google Business Workspace (formerly G Suite). Business Streamlining & Collaboration Solutions | Google Workspace

Comment

• JVergin
          Service Tech / IT Rep
          100+ Posts
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by slimslob
          I would say that it is because those accounts are getting a large number of high page count emails all from the same source sender and to multiple destinations, something that is very common for bulk mailer. Have you actually talked to their current email provider? I will bet many of them have the same provider, often the ISP. Most have published requirements for email from a scanner.

Many times Google disables the account the same day before it's installed at the customer's office after I've only sent a couple of test scans.

I used to be able to use the ISP's mail server with or without authentication (Almost everyone here uses COX communications) but in the past 10 years or so, setting it up that way is unreliable at best unfortunately. It's almost as if they don't care and want to push everyone away from using their email servers.

I think what I'll probably end up doing is just creating an E-mail through our system for those instances that is only allowed to send out and unable to receive emails. But I was just curious if anyone else has come across the same issues.

Thanks!

Comment

• tsbservice
            Field tech
            Site Contributor
            5,000+ Posts
            • May 2007

Originally posted by JVergin
            I think what I'll probably end up doing is just creating an E-mail through our system for those instances that is only allowed to send out and unable to receive emails. But I was just curious if anyone else has come across the same issues.

Thanks!
            We used to use service Gmail account for counter notifications but because problems with MFA and Google tightening control we ended creating an account in our mail server dedicated for this.
            It worked pretty well until recently when we migrated to O365 and now we're back to Gmail account.
            A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
            Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• majorjam
              • Jun 2023

If you're a Kyocera dealer, promoting PinPoint Scan would be worthwhile.

Comment

• slimslob
                Retired
                Site Contributor
                25,000+ Posts
                • May 2013

Many times Google disables the account the same day before it's installed at the customer's office after I've only sent a couple of test scans.
                Try first sending test emails from another account, first with no attachments then with an attachment.

I used to be able to use the ISP's mail server with or without authentication (Almost everyone here uses COX communications) but in the past 10 years or so, setting it up that way is unreliable at best unfortunately. It's almost as if they don't care and want to push everyone away from using their email servers.
                Are you absolutely certain they haven't been taken over by someone else like Spectrum?

Below are some articles from Cox Support. They should be using Cox Business Email, especially if they are using Cox to host their webpage. Or if they have a webpage hosted by someone else, use that host as the email provider. For Cox, set for Plain text and POP before SMTP. Make sure the MFP is not set for Cypher text. Have separate company email addresses for each employee and only use those.

Learn why Cox requires secure email port settings to access your Cox Email account from an email client program, and how to update your email client settings to resume sending email.

Cox Business Email https://www.cox.com/residential/supp...-settings.html

Cox personal email https://www.cox.com/residential/supp...-settings.html

Comment

• rthonpm
                  Field Supervisor
                  2,500+ Posts
                  • Aug 2007

Unauthenticated mail servers on the internet? Sounds like a spammer's dream to me so likely they've tightened down the requirements to use them.

Any business clients need to be using a business email, not a consumer account, especially if they're sending documents with customer or internal information. It's stupid cheap to get business mail hosting from Microsoft or Google.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

• Hart
                    Trusted Tech
                    100+ Posts
                    • Feb 2024

Originally posted by rthonpm
                    Any business clients need to be using a business email, not a consumer account, especially if they're sending documents with customer or internal information. It's stupid cheap to get business mail hosting from Microsoft or Google.
                    Sure, but they don't give a fuck and we're in a situation where they want to scan to their email as promised by the salesman and there is no other options.

Comment

• ihatefinishers13
                      Senior MFP Technician
                      250+ Posts
                      • Feb 2020

Originally posted by Hart
                      Sure, but they don't give a fuck and we're in a situation where they want to scan to their email as promised by the salesman and there is no other options.
                      Wait, you have sales reps that have promised scan to email for years and have to have a free solution, too? Darn, thought we were the only ones

Comment

• rthonpm
                        Field Supervisor
                        2,500+ Posts
                        • Aug 2007

Call me crazy, but if the customer wants to scan so badly shouldn't it be on them to provide the email to use? That's something they already have for their business, so let them provide it so that it's something entirely under their control.

You're not going to bring them paper so they can print after all.

Comment

• ihatefinishers13
                          Senior MFP Technician
                          250+ Posts
                          • Feb 2020

Originally posted by rthonpm
                          Call me crazy, but if the customer wants to scan so badly shouldn't it be on them to provide the email to use? That's something they already have for their business, so let them provide it so that it's something entirely under their control.

You're not going to bring them paper so they can print after all.

While I'm sure everyone here agrees with your statement, the issue is it has seemed like a free service for 2 decades, but mostly because they don't have IT, or if they do they don't have any settings to use. Then it seems like you're just trying to get more money out of them. Our reps for a quite a while would push for it, and we were just told to create a Gmail account for them. All well and good, until Gmail implemented heightened security and it shut down all of the accounts. Customers want everything for free, and they don't want to understand things that they have to pay for.

We don't want to deal with the accounts, so our company doesn't want to even have a very small paid for service that's included, especially for the security risk.

Comment

• Jason.bruhn@A&B
                            • May 2019

Due to various issues, we have been migrating customers off the SMTP2Go that we have been using for years. If they didn't have o365, IT provided, ISP email, we have been setting up dedicated Gmail accounts for the copiers. As of any account we setup Wednesday, they have all been blocked. We have "yet" to have accounts setup prior to Wednesday blocked. Not quite sure what we are going to do now if this is a permanent change by Google. What is the point of making people switch to App Passwords, if you are then going to ban accounts for using Apps.

Comment

• slimslob
                              Retired
                              Site Contributor
                              25,000+ Posts
                              • May 2013

Originally posted by ihatefinishers13
                              While I'm sure everyone here agrees with your statement, the issue is it has seemed like a free service for 2 decades, but mostly because they don't have IT, or if they do they don't have any settings to use. Then it seems like you're just trying to get more money out of them. Our reps for a quite a while would push for it, and we were just told to create a Gmail account for them. All well and good, until Gmail implemented heightened security and it shut down all of the accounts. Customers want everything for free, and they don't want to understand things that they have to pay for.

We don't want to deal with the accounts, so our company doesn't want to even have a very small paid for service that's included, especially for the security risk.
                              More often then not, the customer has their email through their ISP. The ISP has support people and online documents that can guide you through setting up scan to email. All you have to do is contact them!

Comment

Working...