• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • femaster
    Service Manager

1,000+ Posts
    • May 2011

Plain Box Toner vs Standard

I know this has been a topic of discussion a number of times, but thought I'd share something I came across today. We have enough toner in stock in our warehouse that some of it sits on the shelf for a some time. I came across some some toner today that I currently have 3 different style boxes for. We purchase directly from Konica and all the toner we order are "full", i.e., we don't order the half full that they were offering. I started looking around after my discovery and have found quite a variety of different weights among the printed and plain box toners of various models.

Looking at the 3 different boxes in the picture below, you can see that the one on the bottom is a bit lighter than the other 2 boxes. They are stacked oldest to newest in the picture. This is actually very disappointing as they were all sold as full toners, and all of them were purchased for the same price.

Verying Toner Weights.jpg
    Last edited by femaster; 07-12-2023, 02:06 AM. Reason: Slightly re-worded for better clarity.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 4 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...
  • mojorolla
    The Wolf

2,500+ Posts
    • Jan 2010

Re: Plain Box Toner vs Standard

Thats 9%, nothing to scoff at especially over hundreds or thousands of units!

Thank you.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Comment

• tsbservice
      Field tech

Site Contributor
      5,000+ Posts
      • May 2007

Paraffin wax is missing and amorphous silica is unknown quantity, that is real original counterfeit unfortunately.
      A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
      Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• copyman
        Owner / Technician

Site Contributor
        2,500+ Posts
        • Sep 2005

Not sure you can call it counterfeit if you bought directly from Kon/Min but they were using 3rd party toners at one point during shortage, Katun, etc) I've used all in your picture and had no issues. Had to buy a lot of aftermarket during shortage and only issues I had a few times was toner I bought on Amazon.

Comment

• rrrohan
          Service Manager

Site Contributor
          1,000+ Posts
          • Sep 2011

we had china toner during corona and i lost count how many devs it killed

Comment

• femaster
            Service Manager

1,000+ Posts
            • May 2011

It seems to vary depending upon the model of machine the toner is for. I've seem where it's only a 0.5oz less in the plain box, all the way up to just over 2oz difference. Can't recall which machine models, but it seems to be all over the place. I would have thought that the amount less would have been consistent, but that is not the case.
            A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 4 years.
            My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Comment

• tsbservice
              Field tech

Site Contributor
              5,000+ Posts
              • May 2007

Originally posted by viveprinting
              F. off spammer!
              A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
              Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

Working...