• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RandyW
    Trusted Tech
    100+ Posts
    • Jan 2013

4002i: C2840

We looked at a Copystar CS-4002i that has a C2840 error code. We had not looked at the machine before. No idea on service history.

It didn't look like there was much if any toner in the waste toner container. Also appeared that they were using aftermarket toner. Thought the primary transfer unit looked like it had copies on it. Nothing appeared obviously damaged on it.

If we read the meter correctly, it has 1.2 million pages on the machine. I don't know what the story is with that but I doubt they have made that many pages on it themselves...it's being used by a restaurant.

Tried to do some motor tests using U030 but they didn't turn. Our tech said he went down the list of them but none would make noises. I thought that was weird (I believe it did make some mechanical noises of some kind when turned on). I saw on here 906 mentioned in a thread. I believe it just said to reboot machine and had same code when it was turned back on.

Waste toner motor? Primary Transfer assy? Waste toner motor behind some boards in the back? Service manual was hard to tell 100% but looked like you have take off covers in the back and swing out a board assembly to access that.
  • tmaged
    Owner/Service Manager
    Site Contributor
    1,000+ Posts
    • Oct 2008

Re: 4002i: C2840

Check the connector on the top of the belt that mates to the connector on the frame. Likely a bent pin there or not making a good connection. It should try to do something when powered on.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony
    www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Comment

• nathicana
      Trusted Tech
      Site Contributor
      250+ Posts
      • Aug 2008

Belt cleaning motor is suspect for C2840 not waste toner motor. It is located on the transfer belt assembly.

QA I168.pdf

There is another bulletin H243 that explains a torn off seal that gets caught inside the transfer belt cleaning unit causing the code.

Comment

• BBM
        Senior Tech
        500+ Posts
        • Dec 2020

When you remove the fuser check and clean the spike grid that is behind it .

Comment

• RandyW
          Trusted Tech
          100+ Posts
          • Jan 2013

welp replaced the transfer assy with a new one. Good news, bad news.

Code went away- printing blank now. I believe there is no image on the belt.

Comment

• RandyW
            Trusted Tech
            100+ Posts
            • Jan 2013

U030- belt release motor didn't seem to make any noise.

Does that do something with putting the transfer belt assy in contact with the drum? Trying to read about that in the service book. Also part of the 302NK93022 drive unit?

Comment

• RandyW
              Trusted Tech
              100+ Posts
              • Jan 2013

grey plastic pin!

Locking shaft is that what it is called. I guess wasn't pushed in all the way.
              4002i dv unit.jpg

Comment

• tmaged
                Owner/Service Manager
                Site Contributor
                1,000+ Posts
                • Oct 2008

Sometimes they quit locking. I just put a plastic screw in them to keep them going.
                Hope that helps !
                -Tony
                www.dtios.com
                Become a fan on Facebook

Comment

• ihatefinishers13
                  Senior MFP Technician
                  250+ Posts
                  • Feb 2020

Originally posted by tmaged
                  Sometimes they quit locking. I just put a plastic screw in them to keep them going.
                  A typical cheap Kyocera design, cheap, barely works, and fails randomly. I usually just put some thick paper or cardboard backing folded a few times, and it does the trick.

Comment

• Tonerkiller
                    Senior Tech
                    500+ Posts
                    • Oct 2012

I think you will get this code when the comb electrode behind the fuser gets dirty also?

Comment

Working...