• Show
Clear All
  • slimslob
    Retired
    Site Contributor
    25,000+ Posts
    • May 2013

Question about "Resent Threads"

I've noticed that Recent Threads only shows 20 entries. That is the main reason I don't use it. I would rather just open the forum(s) I'm interested in.

I've also noticed that What's New allows you to see more entries but still has the Political threads. Aneurysm can you do for What's New what you did for Recent Threads? Or maybe add More Activity to Renent Threads?
    Last edited by slimslob; 11-19-2023, 08:08 AM.
  • BillyCarpenter
    Field Supervisor
    Site Contributor
    VIP Subscriber
    10,000+ Posts
    • Aug 2020

Re: Question about "Resent Threads"

You threw me off with "resent" threads. Recent? It threw me off for just a split second. lol

PS - Although I do think a lot of folks resent the political threads. lol
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Comment

• slimslob
      Retired
      Site Contributor
      25,000+ Posts
      • May 2013

Re: Question about "Recent Threads"

Originally posted by BillyCarpenter
      You threw me off with "resent" threads. Recent? It threw me off for just a split second. lol

PS - Although I do think a lot of folks resent the political threads. lol
      Corrected maybe

Comment

• Aneurysm
        Administrator
        500+ Posts
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by slimslob
        I've noticed that Recent Threads only shows 20 entries. That is the main reason I don't use it. I would rather just open the forum(s) I'm interested in.

I've also noticed that What's New allows you to see more entries but still has the Political threads. Aneurysm can you do for What's New what you did for Recent Threads? Or maybe add More Activity to Renent Threads?
        Just so everyone knows what we're talking about:
        • What's New? - Technically know as the activity stream, is the software's default page for the latest whatever from anywhere in the system but is an ugly option for a homepage.
        • Recent Threads - Years ago we went with an add-on product for our homepage which shows the 20 most recent forum posts and allows for some customization, that's the one we recently banished Rants & Raves from.

Do you like the look of the homepage "recent threads" and want more recent threads included OR do you prefer the "what's new?" layout and would like to see Rants & Raves out of that too?

What if we move the political stuff to it's own forum and put Rant's & Raves back on the home page for use as it was intended, ranting about the bullshit we all deal with or sharing a link to something stupid without the need to argue?

(opinions from all user are welcome)
        "Remain calm. All is well" -Chip Diller, Nov 21, 1963

Comment

• ZOOTECH
          Senior member of CRS
          Site Contributor
          2,500+ Posts
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Aneurysm
          Just so everyone knows what we're talking about:
          • What's New? - Technically know as the activity stream, is the software's default page for the latest whatever from anywhere in the system but is an ugly option for a homepage.
          • Recent Threads - Years ago we went with an add-on product for our homepage which shows the 20 most recent forum posts and allows for some customization, that's the one we recently banished Rants & Raves from.

Do you like the look of the homepage "recent threads" and want more recent threads included OR do you prefer the "what's new?" layout and would like to see Rants & Raves out of that too?

What if we move the political stuff to it's own forum and put Rant's & Raves back on the home page for use as it was intended, ranting about the bullshit we all deal with or sharing a link to something stupid without the need to argue?

(opinions from all user are welcome)
          "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Comment

• slimslob
            Retired
            Site Contributor
            25,000+ Posts
            • May 2013

As for me, leave What's New? as it is. Expand Recent Threads to show at least the last 24 hours for those that only are here a couple of times a day.

I mostly use a Windows laptop so I normally I start from the Forum page. I can then open the forums I follow in separate tabs and the same with individual threads.

Comment

• BillyCarpenter
              Field Supervisor
              Site Contributor
              VIP Subscriber
              10,000+ Posts
              • Aug 2020

Without a doubt there needs to be a separate political forum and it needs to be password protected. That way there can be ZERO complaints moving forward. JMO.

Comment

• BillyCarpenter
                Field Supervisor
                Site Contributor
                VIP Subscriber
                10,000+ Posts
                • Aug 2020

PS - And can we please get some mods to help limit all the spam? I think both slim and blackcat would do a fantastic job. I don't know if either want to be a mod. Just throwing it out there.

Comment

• tsbservice
                  Field tech
                  Site Contributor
                  5,000+ Posts
                  • May 2007

I'm too for separating politics from normal forums and having a mod or two would be fantastic.
                  A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
                  Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• dalewb74
                    Senior Tech
                    Site Contributor
                    500+ Posts
                    • Feb 2018

love the website. I have been helped many times by the ones with more experience than myself. Kudos to each and every one of you!!!
                    I'm just wondering, why even have the political mess on the site at all? I think those debates should go somewhere else, not this site.
                    the political views have nothing whatsoever to do with the office equipment that each of us manages.

lookie lookie i got a new badge...
                    glad to help support the site.

Comment

• tsbservice
                      Field tech
                      Site Contributor
                      5,000+ Posts
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by BillyCarpenter
                      PS - And can we please get some mods to help limit all the spam? I think both slim and blackcat would do a fantastic job. I don't know if either want to be a mod. Just throwing it out there.
                      @Admin
                      Respectfully pushing up this.
                      Can we get a new mod or not? If not why?
                      PM me is ok. This thread is ok.
                      A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
                      Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• Aneurysm
                        Administrator
                        500+ Posts
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by slimslob
                        As for me, leave What's New? as it is. Expand Recent Threads to show at least the last 24 hours for those that only are here a couple of times a day.
                        Can't config it based on time but I adjusted it from 20 most recent to 30 most recent.

Originally posted by tsbservice
                        @Admin
                        Respectfully pushing up this.
                        Can we get a new mod or not? If not why?
                        PM me is ok. This thread is ok.
                        I sent you a PM but its a config issue, should be fixed in the spring and we can probably add a few moderators to assist but don't hold me to that time table.

Comment

• copyman
                          Owner / Technician
                          Site Contributor
                          2,500+ Posts
                          • Sep 2005

I agree with most here that the political crap should be hidden in it's own forum. After years of avoiding the home page because of the polictical crap I can finally look at other threads instead going right to the Kon/Min forum.

Please leave home page as it is with the political crap in the Rants & Rave forum.

Comment

• tsbservice
                            Field tech
                            Site Contributor
                            5,000+ Posts
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by Aneurysm
                            Can't config it based on time but I adjusted it from 20 most recent to 30 most recent.

I sent you a PM but its a config issue, should be fixed in the spring and we can probably add a few moderators to assist but don't hold me to that time table.
                            Hmm, I think some of us are trustworthy and reliable enough to take the responsibility to delete only spam and nothing else. If different parties start to delete each other options this would be the end of that Mod. Just my opinion. I would be more than happy to help Mods with reporting spammers and intruders on daily basis.

Comment

• Aneurysm
                              Administrator
                              500+ Posts
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by tsbservice
                              Hmm, I think some of us are trustworthy and reliable enough to take the responsibility to delete only spam and nothing else. If different parties start to delete each other options this would be the end of that Mod. Just my opinion. I would be more than happy to help Mods with reporting spammers and intruders on daily basis.

Current plan is a software upgrade and server migration in the spring which should get us some cool new features, better security, and allow us to setup some moderators with proper permissions.

Comment

Working...