• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emujo2
    Service Manager
    1,000+ Posts
    • Mar 2017

[Misc] Creo IC-314

Widows is giving me a C disk full message (50MB free of 500GB). The CREO is showing system disk at about 40% and image disk about 5%. I have run the creo tools to delete unused files on the system and image drives (after necessary patch), done defrag, and disk cleanup as an admin. I have inspected every temp and log file (as well as hidden) and these are contributing less than 1-2 GB of C drive space. This Creo has probably been running without any user maintenance on it for 8 years. At this time, and job sent with variable data is getting help up and giving a disk full error message. I can still process a plain PDF file. Any ideas as to where this mass of stored data may be coming from. Not quite ready to do a reinstall of the controller software yet. E
  • femaster
    Service Manager
    1,000+ Posts
    • May 2011

Re: Creo IC-314

I'm not going to pretend that I know anything about what you are talking about, other than it sounds like you are working under a Windows environment. If it's possible to run outside software on that setup, an excellent old-school piece of software that I still use to this day (and works on any Windows install from Windows 95 through at least Win 10) should help you find what is taking up all the space. It's called WinDirStat. Essentially it scans whatever drive, drive letter, or directory you tell it to and generates a list and graphical output of every file and it's size in the area you told it to look. The graphical portion creates squares in sizes that represent the size of the file. It makes finding what is taking up the most space very easy to visually see.

The website will probably describe things better than I have, but it can be found here:
    WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 4 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Comment

• emujo2
      Service Manager
      1,000+ Posts
      • Mar 2017

Thanks, this is a cool program

Comment

• femaster
        Service Manager
        1,000+ Posts
        • May 2011

No problem. I've used it since back in the Win XP days. A very handy tool to have in your toolbox if you do any sort of PC work, especially on older systems of systems with limited storage space.
        A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 4 years.
        My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Comment

• Synthohol
          Certified Konica Expert
          Site Contributor
          5,000+ Posts
          • Mar 2016

look for dead spool files in C:\Windows\System32\spool
          sometimes incomplete print jobs will squat on HDD space.
          We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
          The medication helps though...

Comment

• KenB
            Geek Extraordinaire
            2,500+ Posts
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Synthohol
            look for dead spool files in C:\Windows\System32\spool
            sometimes incomplete print jobs will squat on HDD space.
            Quite true.

Any Windows machine acting as a print server is susceptible to this.

You'll probably find a bunch of .spl (spool), and .shd (shadow) files.
            “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Comment

• REGSIS
              Trusted Tech
              250+ Posts
              • May 2016

Take out HDD an put it in a linux based PC. You can even use live CD/DVD or even USB (eg. UBUNTU) and mount that drive. Select "Show hidden files" from Files application menu and enable "Delete permanently" from Preferences submenu. Check properties for size of each directory (Right mouse click on folder). When an enormous size is shown you will know that your unneccesary files are there.
              Delete them to free space.

Comment

• emujo2
                Service Manager
                1,000+ Posts
                • Mar 2017

Backed up the Creo, uninstalled/reinstalled ver 3.0, imported the backed up file, defaulted the Look Up Tables (LUT), freed up about 40 G and customer is printing again. I did double check that the auto delete jobs function is on and hopefully we will be good for the next dew years..Very small, 200GB drive in this box. E

Comment

• Synthohol
                  Certified Konica Expert
                  Site Contributor
                  5,000+ Posts
                  • Mar 2016

make sure their hold queue is not too full, you can set it to store only 10 jobs or up to 99.
                  jobs in the hold queue can be archived to a local PC to save room too.
                  We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
                  The medication helps though...

Comment

Working...