• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzy
    Technician
    50+ Posts
    • May 2023

C224 Fan doesn't not turn off despite the machine going into sleep mode

Hello, made a visit to an office recently to change a belt on a C224. Quite few customers told me they heard something like a fan running in the back of the machine despite it not being turned on for days sometimes. I waited around for few hours and he indeed was correct. The fan would not turn off 3/4 times the machine went into sleep mode and it would just keep going for the time being there. I told them to leave that one alone and use the other machines they had. Came back the next day and the fan was still on. Could this be a possible sign of one of the board starting to malfunction?. That specific one is running on fv 7. Having two of those C224s myself I attempted to recreate this scenario however, only with minor success. It took 6 days of printing and only one machine went to sleep 25 times for it to finally stay on. I do wonder if possibly a failing thermostat is causing this? If it wrongly detects the temperature, it will inform the fan to keep on. I informed them it's time to possibly upgrade but the manager said they already did. The C224 is a used upgrade from a C223 they had which finally died after 10.4m clicks.
  • copyman
    Owner / Technician
    Site Contributor
    2,500+ Posts
    • Sep 2005

Re: C224 Fan doesn't not turn off despite the machine going into sleep mode

Not sure how a C224 that is no longer supported an upgrade? Many years ago it would have been a good upgrade for a Biz 223 but has been in Konica Minolta "end of life" status since 2020 (see attached)

Why is the fan running a problem, is it loud? I would leave it alone and let it run. Worse that could happen is fan burns out and throws a code but those low voltage fans could run non stop for years.

Just be happy a C224 is even running at all! If you start swapping boards, etc good chance machine will stop working all together!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Kazzy
      Technician
      50+ Posts
      • May 2023

Originally posted by copyman
      Not sure how a C224 that is no longer supported an upgrade? Many years ago it would have been a good upgrade for a Biz 223 but has been in Konica Minolta "end of life" status since 2020 (see attached)

Why is the fan running a problem, is it loud? I would leave it alone and let it run. Worse that could happen is fan burns out and throws a code but those low voltage fans could run non stop for years.

Just be happy a C224 is even running at all! If you start swapping boards, etc good chance machine will stop working all together!

It's not loud just "annoying" as they put it. They also complained about the electrical buzzing on the right hand side of the machine too, said its "loud and scary something might one day burn" . I told them about the end of life status. Told them also, from a personal perspective, having 2 of those C224s and often working late in my home/office I can hear them buzzing slightly, photocopiers aren't silent. They are in a different room but if I managed to nod off many times on my desk with open doors it's definitely not as loud as those people said it is. Nonetheless manager wasn't happy despite the fact they have a working C224 that was already upgraded to SSDs and more Ram.

Edit: Forgot to say the annoying manager tried to sell it to me once he found out I have 2 of those already ��. As he put it, "Top notch machine, only €2500, special offer for yourself, valid only today".
      Last edited by Kazzy; 09-05-2023, 11:16 PM. Reason: Added something interesting at the end ��

Comment

• copyman
        Owner / Technician
        Site Contributor
        2,500+ Posts
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kazzy
        It's not loud just "annoying" as they put it. They also complained about the electrical buzzing on the right hand side of the machine too, said its "loud and scary something might one day burn" . I told them about the end of life status. Told them also, from a personal perspective, having 2 of those C224s and often working late in my home/office I can hear them buzzing slightly, photocopiers aren't silent. They are in a different room but if I managed to nod off many times on my desk with open doors it's definitely not as loud as those people said it is. Nonetheless manager wasn't happy despite the fact they have a working C224 that was already upgraded to SSDs and more Ram.

Edit: Forgot to say the annoying manager tried to sell it to me once he found out I have 2 of those already ��. As he put it, "Top notch machine, only €2500, special offer for yourself, valid only today".
        As for the pwr supply buzzing even the new models do that (fuser lamp turning on and off). Maybe not as bad but still there.

Tell them if they want to keep those old machines turn on music in office. This way they don't hear the buzzing or fan running. If they insist on breaking your balls tell them to call someone else and when they hear same thing from that company maybe they will understand! Personally I would walk away before it bites you in the ass even more!

Comment

• copier tech
          Field Supervisor
          5,000+ Posts
          • Jan 2014

There was a bulletin for the buzzing sound.

Update the firmware & change the sleep & lower power settings for the fan running issue.

C224 - C554 (e) Low buzzing noise.pdf

Comment

• copyman
            Owner / Technician
            Site Contributor
            2,500+ Posts
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by copier tech
            There was a bulletin for the buzzing sound.

Update the firmware & change the sleep & lower power settings for the fan running issue.

[ATTACH]59534[/ATTACH]
            The procedure in bulletin helps but doesn't stop the buzzing completely. The OP said machine F/W is updated to ver 7 which would be latest FW.

Comment

• tsbservice
              Field tech
              Site Contributor
              5,000+ Posts
              • May 2007

I still can't understand which fan is at fault. What does fv 7 mean?
              A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
              Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• Kazzy
                Technician
                50+ Posts
                • May 2023

Originally posted by tsbservice
                I still can't understand which fan is at fault. What does fv 7 mean?

FV 7 = Function Version 7.

Comment

• copyman
                  Owner / Technician
                  Site Contributor
                  2,500+ Posts
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kazzy
                  FV 7 = Function Version 7.
                  Basically Func ver 7 makes "4 Non E" an "E" machine

Comment

• rrrohan
                    Service Manager
                    Site Contributor
                    1,000+ Posts
                    • Sep 2011

why not just replace the fan? seems like the cheapest first thing to try

Comment

• copyman
                      Owner / Technician
                      Site Contributor
                      2,500+ Posts
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by rrrohan
                      why not just replace the fan? seems like the cheapest first thing to try
                      I think the OP meant the regular noise fan makes when sitting idle? It must be a really quiet office. That's why I was sarcastic in prior post about turning radio on. If a customer picks on things like that with a 10+ year old machine I run away. And run even faster if he wanted to sell me a C224 for $2500.

Comment

• Kazzy
                        Technician
                        50+ Posts
                        • May 2023

I think the OP meant the regular noise fan makes when sitting idle? It must be a really quiet office. That's why I was sarcastic in prior post about turning radio on. If a customer picks on things like that with a 10+ year old machine I run away. And run even faster if he wanted to sell me a C224 for $2500.

They gave up trying to do something about it I think, they were ment to call me if they want a quiet noctua fan installed and they never did. Though soon I might get a call from them about a C210 which by thr looks of it should be heading for a recycling plant and not any potential repair... It has 21.5 million clicks, I nearly had a stroke when I saw that.

Comment

• rrrohan
                          Service Manager
                          Site Contributor
                          1,000+ Posts
                          • Sep 2011

id just set it sleep time really short then

Comment

• doinbox
                            Technician
                            • Jan 2013

Not sure how a C224 that is no longer supported an upgrade?!
                            The 224 is an upgrade over any of the latest charge roller machines

Comment

• Gift
                              Service Manager
                              1,000+ Posts
                              • Mar 2011

I'm not shure if it is suppose to turn off depending on the operation mode but these tiny ones with higher RPM are going to become louder over the years. You can replace the fan and while you're at it you might to remove the passive cooler and remove the old thermal paste/pad and apply fresh thermal paste.

If the fan is suppose to turn of below a certain temp then overaged thermal grease/thermal pads are likely the culiprit.

Comment

Working...