Clear All
  • BillyCarpenter
    Field Supervisor
    Site Contributor
    VIP Subscriber
    10,000+ Posts
    • Aug 2020

Delivery Truck/Liftgate

A while back I decided to purchase a Tommy Lift for our delivery truck. Unfortunately because of covid (or so they said) it's been on backorder for about 4 months. Finally it came in and they installed it.

See picture:

liftgate.jpg
    Growth is found only in adversity.
  • tsbservice
    Field tech
    Site Contributor
    5,000+ Posts
    • May 2007

Re: Delivery Truck/Liftgate

This is invaluable asset to delivery truck. Good choice makes your life easier and your back will be happy.
    I have sore back now from all that delivering copiers by hands in years.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• blackcat4866
      Master Of The Obvious
      Site Contributor
      10,000+ Posts
      • Jul 2007

Nice! I've never seen a lift so shiny and new. It's got to work better than the ones I've operated.

Most of the lift gates I've operated "unlevel" out ~7 degrees tipped back, trying to dump your load, and move up in jerky movements that assist in the dumping of the load. =^..^=
      If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
      1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
      2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
      3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
      4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
      5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Comment

• slimslob
        Retired
        Site Contributor
        25,000+ Posts
        • May 2013

Originally posted by blackcat4866
        Nice! I've never seen a lift so shiny and new. It's got to work better than the ones I've operated.

Most of the lift gates I've operated "unlevel" out ~7 degrees tipped back, trying to dump your load, and move up in jerky movements that assist in the dumping of the load. =^..^=
        We used to have to tie the copiers down on the lift gate with load straps to reduce that problem.

Comment

• BillyCarpenter
          Field Supervisor
          Site Contributor
          VIP Subscriber
          10,000+ Posts
          • Aug 2020

I looked high and low for a used lift gate that would fit our truck but no such luck. And there's no company in our area that installs them. I had to drive to Mobile, Alabama to purchase this one and have it installed. It's about an hour from here.

Our truck had a ramp that we used to load and unload our machines but that's a pain in the ass and 1 of our copiers took a nosedive in the customer's parking lot. That's not a good thing, is it?

Comment

• rspicer
            Technician
            Site Contributor
            50+ Posts
            • Oct 2015

The company I have worked at for the last 3 years has a truck with a liftgate. I never had the luxury of one until now. It is so nice not to either try lifting machines by hand or push them up a narrow ramp (I've seen a couple take nose dives off ramps also). The one drawback to a lift gate (which is probably not going to be a problem for you) is that it doesn't want to work if it's colder than -20.

Comment

• BillyCarpenter
              Field Supervisor
              Site Contributor
              VIP Subscriber
              10,000+ Posts
              • Aug 2020

Originally posted by rspicer
              The company I have worked at for the last 3 years has a truck with a liftgate. I never had the luxury of one until now. It is so nice not to either try lifting machines by hand or push them up a narrow ramp (I've seen a couple take nose dives off ramps also). The one drawback to a lift gate (which is probably not going to be a problem for you) is that it doesn't want to work if it's colder than -20.
              It never gets that cold here. Shoot, when we get the occasional sleet or snow in the south, the whole state shuts down. School and work is cancelled. Ask anyone from the south, they'll tell you . Plus, folks in the south don't know how to drive in winter weather because we never see it. Or rarely.

Comment

• wjurls
                Trusted Tech
                Site Contributor
                250+ Posts
                • Feb 2017

Nice! I picked up a 95 F700 14' box truck at auction several years ago with a rail type Waltco lift gate on it for $2400. Best investment I've made to date. Rail type lifts stay flat from top to bottom of travel. Trucks way more than paid for itself as I move a lot of production equipment around.

Comment

• Phil B.
                  Field Supervisor
                  10,000+ Posts
                  • Jul 2016

Originally posted by BillyCarpenter
                  A while back I decided to purchase a Tommy Lift for our delivery truck. Unfortunately because of covid (or so they said) it's been on backorder for about 4 months. Finally it came in and they installed it.

See picture:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50923[/ATTACH]
                  SHWEEET

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Phil B.
                    Field Supervisor
                    10,000+ Posts
                    • Jul 2016

It never gets that cold here. Shoot, when we get the occasional sleet or snow in the south, the whole state shuts down. School and work is cancelled. Ask anyone from the south, they'll tell you . Plus, folks in the south don't know how to drive in winter weather because we never see it. Or rarely.
                    SOME in the south can't drive in it.
                    Being born in the mountains of NY and then moving to MD I learned.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• mloudy
                      Senior Tech
                      500+ Posts
                      • Oct 2015

So some of you don't have the need for a work snow plow? Nice.

I just went to the plow dealer today to get mine transferred from my Excursion to a Ram. We also have to keep a skid steer loader with a set for forks at the business all winter because the fork lift is useless in snow and ice.

Went it gets sub zero outside our lift gate goes down real slow. Still better than needing 4 guys to unload big copiers out of the back of a van like years ago.

Comment

• RandyW
                        Trusted Tech
                        100+ Posts
                        • Jan 2013

I looked high and low for a used lift gate that would fit our truck but no such luck. And there's no company in our area that installs them. I had to drive to Mobile, Alabama to purchase this one and have it installed. It's about an hour from here.

Our truck had a ramp that we used to load and unload our machines but that's a pain in the ass and 1 of our copiers took a nosedive in the customer's parking lot. That's not a good thing, is it?

just pull out some Never Dull and buff out any scratches!

Comment

• MargaretShmitt
                          • May 2023

If you need a reliable moving partner in New York City, Maximoving is a company worth considering. They combine professionalism, experience, and a personalized approach to ensure you have a smooth and comfortable move in this busy city. Whether you are moving to a different neighborhood or across town, Maximoving is your trusted partner for moving in New York City.

Comment

Working...