Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead C558

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Dead C558

Hey mates :-)

I have a C558, which i have tried to FW upd. It failed at MFP with N.G. I have tried several versions, all with same outcome. Tried to upd. MFP only. Tried with the HDD disconnected.

And after the first failed attempt, it cant start as normal, it just says "This is invalid external memory" But there is no external mem attached, and i am not holding down the stop button.

Could a MFP reset tool be a solution? But i cant find one for C558. At our partner portal. Or KM ftp server.

Which machine type is the C558? 9 - 9 is choosen by default at firmware upd.

Thanks in advance :-)

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Dead C558

Re: Dead C558

The warning "This is an invalid external memory" without having the memory inserted, may be due to the fact that it started an update process and, for some reason, it was interrupted.

I've been through this a few times even through tests. Know how to proceed in certain situations. We do some crazy things in our laboratory, so I can tell you that with more certainty.

Try to update with each firmware until you find the one that was actually being used in the process and then it will continue.

At least it was like that in our laboratory, on line 8 printers
    Nothing like day after day

Format the usb pen drive and load the Fw files. When it doesn t work change usb pen drive.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G980F mit Tapatalk

Technician

The reset tool you are looking for is a789be.tar . I think you would need to call tech support to get them to send it to you as I cannot find a link to download it, or perhaps another KM technician here may send it to you. I have had success using this tool with this very problem, and the manual states that machine and type for serial numbers starting with A79k which should be C558 is 9 and 9. Also try disconnecting all options, IE adf, hdd, fax, finisher, etc, download and unzip a fresh firmware file and try again.

Field Service Technician 250+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Sounds crazy, but I've read a few times that leaving the front access door open has resolved MFP NG firmware issues like this. Never had to do it myself, but, can't hurt to try updating again with the door open.
    Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year, now a Konica Minolta Service Tech for the last 6 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Dead C558

Quote Originally Posted by Methmann View Post

I have a C558, which i have tried to FW upd. It failed at MFP with N.G. I have tried several versions, all with same outcome. Tried to upd. MFP only. Tried with the HDD disconnected.

And after the first failed attempt, it cant start as normal, it just says "This is invalid external memory" But there is no external mem attached, and i am not holding down the stop button.

Could a MFP reset tool be a solution? But i cant find one for C558. At our partner portal. Or KM ftp server.

Was the machine working before you tried to update the firmware?

We can supply you with the MFP reset tool should you wish to give that a try.

Firmware Update - Printer & Copier Firmware
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

www.copierfirmware.co.uk

HDD is broken. Change HDD

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Jumping Jack Flash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Methmann View Post

How did you disconnect the HDD,
    did you select uninstall in system 2?
    A 250GB HDD must be connected when uploading FW

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thank you for your reply :-)

I have already tried with that firmware, which was installed before i tried to upd. G00-N2

Quote Originally Posted by tulintron View Post
    The warning "This is an invalid external memory" without having the memory inserted, may be due to the fact that it started an update process and, for some reason, it was interrupted.

I've been through this a few times even through tests. Know how to proceed in certain situations. We do some crazy things in our laboratory, so I can tell you that with more certainty.

Try to update with each firmware until you find the one that was actually being used in the process and then it will continue.

At least it was like that in our laboratory, on line 8 printers

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thank you for your reply :-)

Already tried another usb pen And im using the same USB pen, as i always use, without problems

Quote Originally Posted by Firmaware View Post
    Format the usb pen drive and load the Fw files. When it doesn t work change usb pen drive.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G980F mit Tapatalk