Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    chas
    Posts
    522
    Rep Power
    30

    Techs and color copiers

    Ran into a friend the other day. He has a customer with the bad habit of not using grey-scale printing on a color copier for network print jobs. He did say he has repeatedly told them they were printing in color when using the default "four color black" print setting. Of course the customer also complained that they were printing black and white not color so why did it count as a color print if the print job came out in "black and white: like it was on the screen. He did say he finally took a magnifying glass and showed them they were actually using color toner by printing a jpg of a newspaper headline. Nice bold print and big enough letters to see the small dots of color toner use when magnified They could not understand why that was the default setting until it was explained. People bought the copier because it was color. The intended to use is as a color printer and most customers did not want to have to tell the machine to print in color every time. So the manufacturer set the driver as four color black as default then they could print anything and everything with a click of a mouse. Most customers understand this and will actually use the grey-scale print selection to print in black and white, depending on the ratio of color to mono print jobs. He really does not like to see the calls from new users about the high color copy count and finally printed an instruction sheet when each new color copier was delivered.

    I remember having the same problems a lot of times and every now and then ran into meat heads that did not understand the concept of four color black. Too bad I didn't think of getting the magnifying glass to show them. I did however copy a newspaper and showed them how much sharper the color copy was compared to a black and white copy, especially when enlagered.

  2. #2
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Techs and color copiers

    Phil B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    8,591
    Rep Power
    188

    Re: Techs and color copiers

    Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    Ran into a friend the other day. He has a customer with the bad habit of not using grey-scale printing on a color copier for network print jobs. He did say he has repeatedly told them they were printing in color when using the default "four color black" print setting. Of course the customer also complained that they were printing black and white not color so why did it count as a color print if the print job came out in "black and white: like it was on the screen. He did say he finally took a magnifying glass and showed them they were actually using color toner by printing a jpg of a newspaper headline. Nice bold print and big enough letters to see the small dots of color toner use when magnified They could not understand why that was the default setting until it was explained. People bought the copier because it was color. The intended to use is as a color printer and most customers did not want to have to tell the machine to print in color every time. So the manufacturer set the driver as four color black as default then they could print anything and everything with a click of a mouse. Most customers understand this and will actually use the grey-scale print selection to print in black and white, depending on the ratio of color to mono print jobs. He really does not like to see the calls from new users about the high color copy count and finally printed an instruction sheet when each new color copier was delivered.

    I remember having the same problems a lot of times and every now and then ran into meat heads that did not understand the concept of four color black. Too bad I didn't think of getting the magnifying glass to show them. I did however copy a newspaper and showed them how much sharper the color copy was compared to a black and white copy, especially when enlagered.

    composite printing uses ALL colors

  3. #3
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Techs and color copiers

    blackcat4866's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Posts
    18,328
    Rep Power
    315

    Re: Techs and color copiers

    If you take a look at the color test charts on the 4rth or fifth page you'll see samples of Rich Black.

    There are several variations on rich black, the one I like the best is CMYK: 40, 40, 40, 100

    In the end it's really up to the customer what they are willing to pay for. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

    blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

  4. #4
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Meridian, MS
    Posts
    1,066
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: Techs and color copiers

    Watch out for lawyers who use WordPerfect!!!Techs and color copiers WordPerfect print settings will OVERRIDE system default settings causing serious confusion!!!...so when a user initially creates a document, they have to set their print color space or they just need to know how to change the color/b&w in document setup...you'd be surprised to find out how many ignorant lawyers are out there!!!Techs and color copiersTechs and color copiers

    Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

  5. #5
    Retired 10,000+ Posts slimslob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    11,825
    Rep Power
    287

    Re: Techs and color copiers

    Even when they have it set proper to not print composite black, with most color MFP all it takes is for one pixel on a page to be in a color and the entire page gets a color click. The same is true when copying using auto color detect.

  6. #6
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    chas
    Posts
    522
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Techs and color copiers

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    composite printing uses ALL colors
    That is what used to be called four color black. Been a while since I have actually been in the business so terms may have been changed a bit.

  7. #7
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    chas
    Posts
    522
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Techs and color copiers

    Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Even when they have it set proper to not print composite black, with most color MFP all it takes is for one pixel on a page to be in a color and the entire page gets a color click. The same is true when copying using auto color detect.
    Except when using the printer driver for printing and the driver says to print in grey-scale, which is black and white. I do know about the color copy with just one sport of color. A salesman used to show customer when training what would happen if they actually used an auto-color copy mode and there was one blue mark from a pen or a blue signature with the rest of the document in black and white. He showed them the actual difference in copy counts for color and black and white print counts before and after making five copies of each. And also showed them the grey-scale and auto color setting with five print jobs of a newspaper want ad page he had as a jpg on a usb drive. Oh yes he also added the copy demos were not counted until after the lessons were done and he was leaving so they did not get billed for his teaching session. Oh yes and I also showed them with a picture of their choice the difference when I told it to print grey-scale instead of color and it showed the number of color prints did not change but the black and white prints did .
    Last edited by gneebore; 6 Days Ago at 03:19 AM.

  8. #8
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Meridian, MS
    Posts
    1,066
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: Techs and color copiers

    Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    That is what used to be called four color black. Been a while since I have actually been in the business so terms may have been changed a bit.
    ...or Process Black!!!...I don't even have to get a magnifying glass to see it!!! I can usually feel the area is slightly raised...kinda the way thermal embossing works!!! You can also hold it at about a 45 degree angle to a light source and see that it is raised!!!Techs and color copiers

    Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

  9. #9
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    chas
    Posts
    522
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Techs and color copiers

    Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    Watch out for lawyers who use WordPerfect!!!Techs and color copiers WordPerfect print settings will OVERRIDE system default settings causing serious confusion!!!...so when a user initially creates a document, they have to set their print color space or they just need to know how to change the color/b&w in document setup...you'd be surprised to find out how many ignorant lawyers are out there!!!Techs and color copiersTechs and color copiers

    Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    Not really I started working in the business in 1972 on typewriters and had a lot of lawyers as customers. Yes very smart in some ways but dumber than a box of bricks in a lot of other areas. I never did run into Word Perfect changing the default printer setting in the printer driver. But there more than likely was a software change in the six years since I was active in the business.

  10. #10
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    chas
    Posts
    522
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Techs and color copiers

    Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    ...or Process Black!!!...I don't even have to get a magnifying glass to see it!!! I can usually feel the area is slightly raised...kinda the way thermal embossing works!!! You can also hold it at about a 45 degree angle to a light source and see that it is raised!!!Techs and color copiers

    Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    Never saw the color spots myself without the magnifying glass on a laser color print. But never tried any way other than that once I put one in my tool kit. Now you actually could show them on an ink jet printer since those had less dpi than most laser copier and printers. But we didn't really have a big problem with inkjet machines since we did not sell or service them regularly. Just when customers carried their printers in for help with paper jams and other minor service problems. Way too many times when the machines first got popular where customers would buy the cheapest ink they could find or worse a kit so they could refill the ink cartridges themselves. And if we did not see an OEM ink cartridge the machine went right back out to the customers car before we even looked at it.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here