• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StephenB
    Trusted Tech
    100+ Posts
    • Aug 2015

Ricoh MP 5055 poor density

Picked up a Ricoh 5055 off lease to refurb. Print / copy density started off excellent. Has 270K total count. Quality started off excellent, did all firmware updates. All OEM toner, new OEM PCDU. Set the SP 3701 to perform the initial adjustments
    once the PCDU was installed.Toner supply type is on PID (default). Prints and copies looked great. After a few thousand pages, density is poor. Even switched out the original OEM toner to a new bottle. I can use the forced toner supply to restore the density / quality. It has done this "depletion" twice now, and I can restore the quality with forced toner add.

Vsp was at .95, so it "knows" it needs toner, Vsg 3.51 But the 5055 does not add toner, just depletes. Am I missing an initialization ?
  • dalewb74
    Senior Tech
    Site Contributor
    500+ Posts
    • Feb 2018

Re: Ricoh MP 5055 poor density

you cleaned the drum lenses? the transfer belt ID sensors?

Comment

• anothertech
      Service Manager
      Site Contributor
      1,000+ Posts
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by dalewb74
      you cleaned the drum lenses? the transfer belt ID sensors?
      No transfer belt, it's a B/W machine.

Comment

• ccchuah
        Trusted Tech
        100+ Posts
        • Mar 2009

using factory SP mode, setting SP3201-01 upper tc limit to 12 and SP3201-02 lower tc limit to 5.5
        This will help the toner density of machine

Comment

• luca72
          Field Supervisor
          1,000+ Posts
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by StephenB
          Picked up a Ricoh 5055 off lease to refurb. Print / copy density started off excellent. Has 270K total count. Quality started off excellent, did all firmware updates. All OEM toner, new OEM PCDU. Set the SP 3701 to perform the initial adjustments
          once the PCDU was installed.Toner supply type is on PID (default). Prints and copies looked great. After a few thousand pages, density is poor. Even switched out the original OEM toner to a new bottle. I can use the forced toner supply to restore the density / quality. It has done this "depletion" twice now, and I can restore the quality with forced toner add.

Vsp was at .95, so it "knows" it needs toner, Vsg 3.51 But the 5055 does not add toner, just depletes. Am I missing an initialization ?
          try to do this: restore the correct level of density with forced feeding, then initialize the developer again from sp3701 "developer" make a mark with a marker on the toner bottle, and restart, after some time, check if the mark moves.
          "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)

Comment

• dalewb74
            Senior Tech
            Site Contributor
            500+ Posts
            • Feb 2018

Originally posted by anothertech
            No transfer belt, it's a B/W machine.
            my bad wasn't paying attention to the model.

Comment

• luca72
              Field Supervisor
              1,000+ Posts
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by luca72
              try to do this: restore the correct level of density with forced feeding, then initialize the developer again from sp3701 "developer" make a mark with a marker on the toner bottle, and restart, after some time, check if the mark moves.
              I apologize, but I forgot to write to remove the bottle and activate the microswitch with a piece of tape
              "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)

Comment

• TonerMunkeh
                Professional Moron
                2,500+ Posts
                • Apr 2008

I've had a lot of problems with the SP8400 covering it's ID sensor in toner. This causes depletion and spurious add toner conditions.
                It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Comment

• StephenB
                  Trusted Tech
                  100+ Posts
                  • Aug 2015

Thanks for all the suggestions, I did notice on the 5055 , SP 3-322-001 the adjusted Ifsg is way higher than the setting in 3-322-011 which indicates a dirty ID sensor.
                  I am returning today to the account and will follow up with hopeful resolution.

Comment

• StephenB
                    Trusted Tech
                    100+ Posts
                    • Aug 2015

Solved ! Turned out to be the ID sensor which is below the transfer roller. Wiped the sensor, which was coated with toner. When we go through systems, we "blow out" the machines with air. Obviously missed the sensor in the final stages of cleaning.
                    I power cycled the system, sent a print job and with the front door interlock defeated I watched that toner bottle immediately begin to add toner. Readings all came back to normal and quality was superb.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone !

Comment

• luca72
                      Field Supervisor
                      1,000+ Posts
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by StephenB
                      Solved ! Turned out to be the ID sensor which is below the transfer roller. Wiped the sensor, which was coated with toner. When we go through systems, we "blow out" the machines with air. Obviously missed the sensor in the final stages of cleaning.
                      I power cycled the system, sent a print job and with the front door interlock defeated I watched that toner bottle immediately begin to add toner. Readings all came back to normal and quality was superb.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone !
                      If this can help over...Someone of First units of corona series, have a defective pcu-frame that leak toner, there Is a rtb about with relative update frame code, if i Remember well there Is a modification in mylar, and a more resistent rotating purge screw shaft.

Comment

Working...