PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous bizhub C554e FS-535 3-Hole Puchouts in Stapler Unit

Custom Search

MFPs R Now PCs
01-28-2019, 10:13 PM
We've had a Konica Minolta bizhub C554e with large saddle stitch finisher FS-535 at a customer site for over a year and suddenly it is taking the 3-hole punch out chips and spraying them into the Staple Units below. This over time will start staple jamming issues and the chips have to be cleaned out periodically which fixes the problem until enough chips are back in the staple units to start jamming staples again.

We had a technician go on-site that inspected the "chip" holder bucket and he indicated that it is present/intact, there is no wiggle room and/or no obvious problem for this happening. Any ideas of what is going on here to permanently resolve this?

Thanks in advance!

Phil B.
01-28-2019, 10:17 PM
are all the 'chads' being punched properly?

other than cleaning/checking chad bin.. have you done any punch adjusts?

what has been done?

any errors?

MFPs R Now PCs
01-28-2019, 11:11 PM
are all the 'chads' being punched properly?

other than cleaning/checking chad bin.. have you done any punch adjusts?

what has been done?

any errors?

Yes, CHADS thank you (couldn't remember the name).

In answer to your question; No punch adjustments were performed and No errors or codes are present. It ran for just over a year without problems and now the customer says it has repeatedly stapled with no staple in the paper (makes the sound but nothing in the paper). So, the customer would open the finisher and find chads everywhere, pull the staple cartridge, clean out the chads, reinsert the staple cartridge and then it would resume normal operation. Then it happened again. So we sent a tech to verify and he said everything looked fine and worked OK except that chads are everywhere (it's bizarre).

This customer does have a pretty smart employee that has worked with us for years on 3 different bizhubs, all with saddle stitch finishers. She also is the only one that replaces the staple cartridges, toner, waste toner, etc. etc. Therefore, I do not believe that user error is involved here but it is bizarre.

copyman
01-28-2019, 11:18 PM
I have never seen that on the few FS-535's with punch that I have in field. Have mostly the smaller finishers (FS-534) & (FS-533) on the 4 series machines.

Really weird. Not sure how it could even be possible unless they aren't being punched all the way and fall out after paper passes through punch. Doesn't seem likely. If all else fails try and modify with gluing a strip of mylar guide from a parts machine onto sides at the top of waste box.

Synthohol
01-28-2019, 11:35 PM
is the chute\mylars in place? maybe try some anti static spray or rub a dryer sheet along the "chad path"
use a paper or transparency sheet and make a more enclosed chute to the punch catch tray?
i'd love a challenge like that.

Phil B.
01-28-2019, 11:40 PM
Yes, CHADS thank you (couldn't remember the name).

In answer to your question; No punch adjustments were performed and No errors or codes are present. It ran for just over a year without problems and now the customer says it has repeatedly stapled with no staple in the paper (makes the sound but nothing in the paper). So, the customer would open the finisher and find chads everywhere, pull the staple cartridge, clean out the chads, reinsert the staple cartridge and then it would resume normal operation. Then it happened again. So we sent a tech to verify and he said everything looked fine and worked OK except that chads are everywhere (it's bizarre).

This customer does have a pretty smart employee that has worked with us for years on 3 different bizhubs, all with saddle stitch finishers. She also is the only one that replaces the staple cartridges, toner, waste toner, etc. etc. Therefore, I do not believe that user error is involved here but it is bizarre.Nope.. she (keyop) sounds like she has it down pat.. ok.well not knowing how the Chad's are being transported (3 punch) in this unit.. there has to be some sort of transport/clearing mech... that would be my first place to start. Please update the sitrep.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Phil B.
01-28-2019, 11:43 PM
is the chute\mylars in place? maybe try some anti static spray or rub a dryer sheet along the "chad path"
use a paper or transparency sheet and make a more enclosed chute to the punch catch tray?
i'd love a challenge like that.Yeah I was going to suggest a 'sheild' of sorts if the other suggests didn't werk.

blackcat4866
01-28-2019, 11:44 PM
i'd love a challenge like that.

Along these lines:
I had a Kyocera punch unit once that on three separate occasions I was out for "Full Punch Waste Box" when the box had been dumped. The chads were statically clinging to the chute that leads to the box, eventually blocking the full sensor. On the third visit I took a dryer sheet and wiped every surface of the punch chute. I haven't been back (and it's been a few years), but I can't be certain that what I did was any kind of a long term solution. It could very well have had something to do with the media.

If it had continued, I had this idea that I would find locations for anti-static strips, then ground them to the frame, but it never came to that.

Does that help at all? =^..^=

Phil B.
01-29-2019, 01:00 AM
Along these lines:
I had a Kyocera punch unit once that on three separate occasions I was out for "Full Punch Waste Box" when the box had been dumped. The chads were statically clinging to the chute that leads to the box, eventually blocking the full sensor. On the third visit I took a dryer sheet and wiped every surface of the punch chute. I haven't been back (and it's been a few years), but I can't be certain that what I did was any kind of a long term solution. It could very well have had something to do with the media.
If it had continued, I had this idea that I would find locations for anti-static strips, then ground them to the frame, but it never came to that.
Does that help at all? =^..^=

hmmm wonder if those old CRT screen Anti-Stat wipes/spray would werk? Got a bunch!

Flash
01-29-2019, 01:59 AM
I had a machine doing the same thing recently. On the exit side of the hole punch there is a felt guide that runs the length of the hole punch. It had a bow in the middle where the center punch is causing chads to fall through the gap between the felt guide and the top of the hole punch box I was able to push it back in place.

rrrohan
01-29-2019, 04:57 AM
Is Chad the name for hole punch scrap?

Phil B.
01-29-2019, 06:28 AM
Is Chad the name for hole punch scrap?Yes.. not only in copiers w. Punch ... but any unit that takes paper.. 'puter card.. ballots..etc.. Hence the election phrase "hanging chads".. sorry ole IBM card guy

srvctec
01-29-2019, 09:56 PM
Another thing to check as a possibility is if the anti-static brushes are intact directly under where the chads exit the punch unit. If they are worn or missing, that could cause the chads to go flying in odd directions.

We just happened to have this exact setup in our shop, so I snapped a couple photos.

If the chads are getting into the lower stapler units in the saddle stitcher, that's quite a ways from the punch unit and the they would have to be falling down the guide into the stapler(s).

Edit to add photos:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190129/37a83b4099d30bb1fde15fdfad9b64da.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190129/9909d4c301fd08aed54367988ab8eb3e.jpg

blackcat4866
01-29-2019, 11:40 PM
Extra points for creativity! =^..^=

copytechman
01-31-2019, 01:50 AM
Interesting! I have 2 c754e's with fs535s and the ru units that do this, Chad's all over the bottom of the finisher on both, punch boxes secure, felts all straight, still don't really know why, it rarely causes an issue, the key op vacuums em up periodically. I have had to straighten the felts once in a while but that's pretty infrequent.

Thoughts?

A!

Synaux
02-01-2019, 04:52 PM
Interesting! I have 2 c754e's with fs535s and the ru units that do this, Chad's all over the bottom of the finisher on both, punch boxes secure, felts all straight, still don't really know why, it rarely causes an issue, the key op vacuums em up periodically. I have had to straighten the felts once in a while but that's pretty infrequent.

Thoughts?

A!
Same here. Dirty finishers in my experience; never caused an issue though (aside from all those filthy Chads turning the joint into a flophouse).

Custom Search