• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mascan42
    Trusted Tech
    250+ Posts
    • Oct 2008

Biz458e print failure, blue lights flashing

I'm having an odd issue on 3 machines at the same customer (possibly a 4th at another one) where intermittently, when they send a print job, the machine starts to receive it (blue lights flashing) and the job leaves the PC print queue, but it never shows up in the machine's job list. The lights just continue flashing indefinitely, locking up the print and scan queues, until the machine is rebooted.

The customer has several of these machines, with only these three having this problem. They've already deleted and reloaded the print drivers, and the machine is still online while this is happening. I've downloaded and compared the management lists of a bad machine and a good one, and there don't appear to be any network settings that are any different.
  • copyman
    Owner / Technician
    Site Contributor
    2,500+ Posts
    • Sep 2005

Re: Biz458e print failure, blue lights flashing

Have you updated F/W? I know you posted they deleted & reloaded driver but did they try a different driver?

Comment

• mascan42
      Trusted Tech
      250+ Posts
      • Oct 2008

Firmware is updated to the latest. The customer uses the universal driver for all machines on their network.

Comment

• copyman
        Owner / Technician
        Site Contributor
        2,500+ Posts
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by mascan42
        Firmware is updated to the latest. The customer uses the universal driver for all machines on their network.
        I've had some issues with universal driver. Wouldn't hurt to try specific driver for that model.

Comment

• tsbservice
          Field tech
          Site Contributor
          5,000+ Posts
          • May 2007

Originally posted by copyman
          I've had some issues with universal driver. Wouldn't hurt to try specific driver for that model.
          I say +1 to copyman.
          A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
          Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• kingarthur
            Service Manager
            1,000+ Posts
            • Feb 2008

I've only had this when someone was printing a PDF, but didn't have the KM drivers, they were using "windows drivers"
            Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Comment

• copyman
              Owner / Technician
              Site Contributor
              2,500+ Posts
              • Sep 2005

Also something else came to mind, since you have 3 machines doing same thing if not the driver I would check and make sure sleep mode is off. I know with the 4 series when someone sends print job with machine asleep it can fail to print. Not sure if same problem with 8 series but I always turn off anyway.

Comment

• mojorolla
                The Wolf
                2,500+ Posts
                • Jan 2010

Not sure what happened to Adobe Reader but the latest updates have made it a glitchy piece of garbage. I have had several issues with it the past few months, including lock ups, and have started using Foxit PDF reader instead.
                If using Reader, try the Print As Image feature and see if you get a different result. Try opening the files in another program or a browser and print from there.
                Remove from network and print the same files from a laptop via an ad-hoc network. I generally use the PCL drivers unless they have color critical needs, then I go with the PS version. Throw the files on a USB and print them.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Comment

• copier tech
                  Field Supervisor
                  5,000+ Posts
                  • Jan 2014

I'm having an odd issue on 3 machines at the same customer (possibly a 4th at another one) where intermittently, when they send a print job, the machine starts to receive it (blue lights flashing) and the job leaves the PC print queue, but it never shows up in the machine's job list. The lights just continue flashing indefinitely, locking up the print and scan queues, until the machine is rebooted.

The customer has several of these machines, with only these three having this problem. They've already deleted and reloaded the print drivers, and the machine is still online while this is happening. I've downloaded and compared the management lists of a bad machine and a good one, and there don't appear to be any network settings that are any different.
                  This is a pretty common issue.

Update the firmware AND function version then update the drivers & ensure they are printing via IP not WSD.
                  Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

​

Comment

• mascan42
                    Trusted Tech
                    250+ Posts
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by copier tech
                    This is a pretty common issue.

Update the firmware AND function version then update the drivers & ensure they are printing via IP not WSD.
                    Done done and done. No change. Also made sure the sleep mode is disabled.

Comment

• Don N.
                      Trusted Tech
                      250+ Posts
                      • Nov 2011

Done done and done. No change. Also made sure the sleep mode is disabled.
                      You said done. Did you use the KMBS PCL/PS driver instead of the Universal? Tried PCL vs PS? Everyone seems to have fixed this with good drivers, exclusive of the UPD.
                      If yes, what program or browser are they printing from? Did you print the same doc's with a different browser or PDF prog?
                      Driver AND FW are Function Ver. 4+?
                      Tried same doc's on your laptop on or off of their network?

Comment

• Tech09
                        Technician
                        Site Contributor
                        50+ Posts
                        • Apr 2020

Are they trying to print the same file from different work stations and copiers and it's failing? It could be the file itself is corrupt. Simple check, as mojorolla said, configure your laptop to the copier, connect directly and print the same file, this will rule out any issue on their network.

Comment

• mascan42
                          Trusted Tech
                          250+ Posts
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Tech09
                          Are they trying to print the same file from different work stations and copiers and it's failing? It could be the file itself is corrupt. Simple check, as mojorolla said, configure your laptop to the copier, connect directly and print the same file, this will rule out any issue on their network.
                          Doesn't seem to matter what they're printing, because I've seen it happen with a Windows test page.

As far as drivers, I haven't had the opportunity to switch drivers because I don't have admin rights and the customer keeps getting distracted any time I ask for them.

Connecting my laptop won't prove anything, since it's very intermittent, only happens a couple of times a day.

Comment

• REGSIS
                            Trusted Tech
                            250+ Posts
                            • May 2016

Recenty I had an issue with universal PCL driver. Print with that driver came out OK but it blocked next job in queue.
                            IT guy reinstalled PC and didn't pay attention and installed 1st one offered on the KM website.

What you have to do is to check all PCs what driver they use, and tell the IT guys to replace "Universal" ones.

Comment

• tsbservice
                              Field tech
                              Site Contributor
                              5,000+ Posts
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by REGSIS
                              Recenty I had an issue with universal PCL driver. Print with that driver came out OK but it blocked next job in queue.
                              IT guy reinstalled PC and didn't pay attention and installed 1st one offered on the KM website.

What you have to do is to check all PCs what driver they use, and tell the IT guys to replace "Universal" ones.
                              Yes I know not to install Universal driver but in reality it's so stupid. If customer(not me) goes to local KM site and under correct machine select to download drivers it will show only universal pcl6 drivers.
                              I know that fact and by clicking on English language not local it will present all drivers and we choose right pcl6/ps drivers but how many customers know that trick...I guess zero.
                              A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
                              Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

Working...