Clear All
  • HoonBoy
    Trusted Tech

100+ Posts
    • May 2011

Dead Bizhub C250i after Firmware update Q9

Hi all,

just wanted to share some "fun"

I a week time we had 3 machines that "died" on us after updating them to version AA2J0Y0-F000-G00-Q9.

What happend is that during the firmware update is that the MFP CONTROLLER gave a "Download N.G." message.
    Sometimes this happens (reformat USB stick and try again)... But this time the machine does not Bootup anymore, only a black screen!
    All 3 machine had different firmware before update, and other machines with same firmware versions were updated with the same USB-stick

Also diagnostics tool or old firmware did nothing.

Anyone else had this?

2 machines are running again... CPU-board had to be replaced to fix this. Other still waiting for part to arrive.

After lots of fusing units and SSD's failing, this is the next thing that's burning all the profit on these machines.
  • Lordnixon
    Technician
    • Jul 2017

Re: Dead Bizhub C250i after Firmware update Q9

I met this on c257i. But after updating the firmware, Q9 received the cd 390 code. The rollback to the old firmware was later also accompanied by this code. The error code procedures didn't help either. Next, I did a reset of the MFP(cpu?) - cd 390 . was unsuccessful.
    I ended up with a black screen as well. The last thing I did was update some data related to different SSD revisions (bulletin on infohub), after which, during the firmware, I got NG and a black screen after.
    As a result, the CPU and SSD were replaced

The reason I upgraded to q9 was because the device was hanging up during operation. q9 according to the description should have solved the problems of q6

Comment

• copyman
      Owner / Technician

Site Contributor
      2,500+ Posts
      • Sep 2005

Thanks for the info. Just add this to the list of issues with the "i" series. Really sad Kon/Min is putting this junk out there!

Comment

• Synthohol
        Certified Konica Expert

Site Contributor
        5,000+ Posts
        • Mar 2016

We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
        The medication helps though...

Comment

• Duplicator
          IT Manager

50+ Posts
          • May 2022

Originally posted by HoonBoy
          during the firmware update is that the MFP CONTROLLER gave a "Download N.G." message.
          I've had that happen when an SSD failed before. It tries to write data but ultimately writes garbage.

What kind of nothing? Did it boot (got the white screen with the two tests)? Still a black screen? Completed okay with no errors?

Are you using the newer version of the diag tool? (There are 2 releases that I know of.)

I recommend looking at bulletin # 13472. That should aid in troubleshooting quite a bit.
          Worked in IT for 12 years from Helpdesk up to System Administrator. Now working as the IT Manager at a copier company for the last 4 years.

If I helped you out, please give me a thumbs up! It helps my reputation.

Comment

• REGSIS
            Trusted Tech

250+ Posts
            • May 2016

Hi all,

I a week time we had 3 machines that "died" on us after updating them to version AA2J0Y0-F000-G00-Q9.

What happend is that during the firmware update is that the MFP CONTROLLER gave a "Download N.G." message.
            Sometimes this happens (reformat USB stick and try again)... But this time the machine does not Bootup anymore, only a black screen!
            All 3 machine had different firmware before update, and other machines with same firmware versions were updated with the same USB-stick

Anyone else had this?

2 machines are running again... CPU-board had to be replaced to fix this. Other still waiting for part to arrive.

After lots of fusing units and SSD's failing, this is the next thing that's burning all the profit on these machines.
            Dowload NG has nothing to do with FW itself.
            Usually a CPU board is corrupted/bad.
            It should be replaced sooner or later.

I've installed Q9 on one macchine 2 days ago without any problems.
            But CPU board was replaced on that machine 2 years ago, and that is probably the reason that all went well.
            In some bizzare way Q9 update showed you that CPU boards were bad.

Comment

• HoonBoy
              Trusted Tech

100+ Posts
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Duplicator
              I've had that happen when an SSD failed before. It tries to write data but ultimately writes garbage.

What kind of nothing? Did it boot (got the white screen with the two tests)? Still a black screen? Completed okay with no errors?

Are you using the newer version of the diag tool? (There are 2 releases that I know of.)

I recommend looking at bulletin # 13472. That should aid in troubleshooting quite a bit.

With nothing I mean nothing helped, only black screen with any of the tried options, only replacing CPU-board helped.

Comment

• HoonBoy
                Trusted Tech

100+ Posts
                • May 2011

Originally posted by REGSIS
                Dowload NG has nothing to do with FW itself.
                Usually a CPU board is corrupted/bad.
                It should be replaced sooner or later.

I've installed Q9 on one macchine 2 days ago without any problems.
                But CPU board was replaced on that machine 2 years ago, and that is probably the reason that all went well.
                In some bizzare way Q9 update showed you that CPU boards were bad.

More often it happens that an update does not work, often USB-stick related(reformat and write firmware again.
                But never before we had an CPU-board or any other part got defective after an update (4, 8 or I serie) till now.
                What you say that the CPU-board was already bad can be, but 3 in one week with the same firmware can't be coincidence.

We also installed the Q9 firmware on some other machines, but not much yet.

Comment

• tsbservice
                  Field tech

Site Contributor
                  5,000+ Posts
                  • May 2007

Hi all,

Anyone else had this?

We're in middle of installing a batch of new 300i they are basically at P8 and we make them GC2-Q9.
                  Nothing dramatic till now knocking on wood.
                  Also we did Q9 on some existing machines as don't have fear to install latest versions of firmware.
                  REGSIS theory isn't bad it may be even related to function version 2.2 where troubled CPUs are exposed.
                  Anyway thanks for sharing this is very important for the community.
                  A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
                  Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• otphas
                    Trusted Tech

Site Contributor
                    100+ Posts
                    • Aug 2019

We had the same problem a week ago, after Q9 came a NG on MFP. Somehow we fix it. Installed brand new M2 and all was fine . Later copied the info and clone it to old M2 and old one start working .To be honest dont know why!
                    Attached Files

Comment

• 4Toon
                      Technician

50+ Posts
                      • Mar 2023

We have put well over 100 MFP's with Q9 brand new no issues until I read this post this morning now we have to that give a NG on scanner and Finisher. one gives a c-155 code for the finisher ram, and the other does not give any codes and the FW from the MM list is all at Q9 "from pdf" but the device information in webdev and on the OP does not show any FW at all. I have not had a chance to dig into them yet, this is just what was passed along to figure out once I get to them. Will reply back with my findings when I do.

Comment

• tsbservice
                        Field tech

Site Contributor
                        5,000+ Posts
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by 4Toon
                        We have put well over 100 MFP's with Q9 brand new no issues until I read this post this morning now we have to that give a NG on scanner and Finisher. one gives a c-155 code for the finisher ram, and the other does not give any codes and the FW from the MM list is all at Q9 "from pdf" but the device information in webdev and on the OP does not show any FW at all. I have not had a chance to dig into them yet, this is just what was passed along to figure out once I get to them. Will reply back with my findings when I do.
                        I would not let them panic me...yet.
                        A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
                        Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• copyman
                          Owner / Technician

Site Contributor
                          2,500+ Posts
                          • Sep 2005

Just a thought, what if you update each item one at a time. I remember this woking for me when updating FW on prior models when I got the NG

Comment

• HoonBoy
                            Trusted Tech

100+ Posts
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by copyman
                            Just a thought, what if you update each item one at a time. I remember this woking for me when updating FW on prior models when I got the NG
                            Could not get in the firmware update after the first MFP controller N.G. Only black screen after that.

Comment

• stronghold
                              Technician
                              • Apr 2023

Could not get in the firmware update after the first MFP controller N.G. Only black screen after that.
                              Look in PM

Comment

Working...