• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acsolutions
    Senior Tech
    500+ Posts
    • Jun 2010

[Jamming] c458 Jamming from tray 1 only

Hello, I think I just need confirmation on my direction. Will feed from drawers 2 and 3 but when I try to feed from tray 1 it will feed a single sheet fine then jam everything else after. Sometimes when i start a new job and it will jam the first page and so on. Usually it will feed a few inches out or get to the registration roller then jam. I replaced the feed assembly with the same result. My next step is to replace the drive assembly. I'm assuming the one way clutch or a belt is slipping. Anything additional would be appreciated. Thank
  • GIUBOSS
    Service Manager
    Site Contributor
    1,000+ Posts
    • Jul 2013

Re: c458 Jamming from tray 1 only

So you also replaced the magnetic clutch that drives the rubber rollers

Comment

• kingarthur
      Service Manager
      1,000+ Posts
      • Feb 2008

if you take out the paper feed unit, in the plastic of tray 2, there is a "spare" spring, it's not listed in the parts manual, but this is for thin paper, in the past, this has been swapped with the spring A161562800 on either tray 1 or 2, to prevent jam codes 10-02 and 20-02, the part number for the replacement "thin paper" spring is A161563000, it's not in any of the 8 series parts manuals, though it's definitely in the C258 paper feed unit, as I've just checked. if you have a C224(e) parts manual, you'll find it there, so you can see where it's located. if you have replaced the rollers and cleaned the needle bearings and it's still misfeeding - then I'd change this spring
      Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Comment

• femaster
        Service Manager
        1,000+ Posts
        • May 2011

Originally posted by GIUBOSS
        There are no magnetic clutches in the tray 1 drive or feed units of the C458, unless you are referring to the registration rollers?
        A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 4 years.
        My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Comment

• Gift
          Service Manager
          1,000+ Posts
          • Mar 2011

Not shure if the drive is designed like the iSeries machines wich had some issues with a so called "fast clutch" leading to jamming issues with tray 1.

Comment

• acsolutions
            Senior Tech
            500+ Posts
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by GIUBOSS
            Yes,That's all part of the feed assembly.

Comment

• acsolutions
              Senior Tech
              500+ Posts
              • Jun 2010

Basically the main drive drives tray1 and there are no clutches. I had a feeder assembly and swapped that out with same results. I guess the main drive is direct drive to tray.

Comment

• blackcat4866
                Master Of The Obvious
                Site Contributor
                10,000+ Posts
                • Jul 2007

Do you have a jam code? =^..^=
                If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
                1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
                2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
                3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
                4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
                5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Comment

• tsbservice
                  Field tech
                  Site Contributor
                  5,000+ Posts
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by acsolutions
                  Basically the main drive drives tray1 and there are no clutches. I had a feeder assembly and swapped that out with same results. I guess the main drive is direct drive to tray.
                  Paper feed motor plus one-way in drive of tray 1
                  A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
                  Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• Markks
                    Trusted Tech
                    Site Contributor
                    250+ Posts
                    • Feb 2018

I've had the bushings for the registration get gummed up and only cause jamming from tray one. I would take out registration assembly and clean the bushings.

Comment

• acsolutions
                      Senior Tech
                      500+ Posts
                      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Markks
                      I've had the bushings for the registration get gummed up and only cause jamming from tray one. I would take out registration assembly and clean the bushings.
                      I'm going to take a drive assembly out with me but if that doesn't work I'll check that out. The only thing that makes me hesitant is that it sometimes gets to the registration roller and sometimes it doesn't. It usually jams after feeding an inch or it doesn't get much past the feed rollers. That's definitely something to remembe. Thanks

Comment

• acsolutions
                        Senior Tech
                        500+ Posts
                        • Jun 2010

The feed drive assembly worked. Thanks for all your assistance.

Comment

• blackcat4866
                          Master Of The Obvious
                          Site Contributor
                          10,000+ Posts
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by acsolutions
                          The feed drive assembly worked. Thanks for all your assistance.
                          Congratulations on your success! It would help me to know what jam codes you were experiencing. =^..^=
                          If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
                          1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
                          2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
                          3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
                          4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
                          5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Comment

• acsolutions
                            Senior Tech
                            500+ Posts
                            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by blackcat4866
                            Congratulations on your success! It would help me to know what jam codes you were experiencing. =^..^=
                            I took it back to the store and disassembled, scored the shaft, Cleaned and lubed the shaft and bearing, reassembled and installed in the machine I pulled the part from. I ran several hundred copies without a flaw. The bearing and shaft were all gummed up that was the issue. Yeah I wish I thought about getting that jam code that could have been helpful to the next guy! Sorry
                            Last edited by acsolutions; 09-09-2023, 05:23 AM.

Comment

• FuserNoob
                              Technician, CISSP
                              Site Contributor
                              50+ Posts
                              • Jul 2022

Originally posted by kingarthur
                              if you take out the paper feed unit, in the plastic of tray 2, there is a "spare" spring, it's not listed in the parts manual, but this is for thin paper, in the past, this has been swapped with the spring A161562800 on either tray 1 or 2, to prevent jam codes 10-02 and 20-02, the part number for the replacement "thin paper" spring is A161563000, it's not in any of the 8 series parts manuals, though it's definitely in the C258 paper feed unit, as I've just checked. if you have a C224(e) parts manual, you'll find it there, so you can see where it's located. if you have replaced the rollers and cleaned the needle bearings and it's still misfeeding - then I'd change this spring
                              I have a C458 and was giving a 20-02 error on tray 2 - I replaced the pickup/feed rollers, no go, clutches and torque limiter, no go, replaced mag clutch, no go, replaced the spring as described above and DING, we have a winner!

THANKS!

Comment

Working...