Clear All
  • copyman
    Owner / Technician

Site Contributor
    2,500+ Posts
    • Sep 2005

C3351

Hi,

Don't know the small models that well but had a new customer call that I serviced. Getting a fine line when copying or scanning using ADF. Printing & copying from glass is good. Of course I know this is usually a spot of dirt or ink on the slit glass but not in this case. I got the line to go away by opening top of scanner & cleaning optics & underside of slit glass. Lasted 2 weeks and same line is back! Stopped back yesterday and slit glass is clean.
    Checked Kon/Min knowledge base and didn't see anything.

Any ideas appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
  • Albonline
    Service Manager

1,000+ Posts
    • Sep 2008

Re: C3351

Originally posted by copyman
    Hi,

Don't know the small models that well but had a new customer call that I serviced. Getting a fine line when copying or scanning using ADF. Printing & copying from glass is good. Of course I know this is usually a spot of dirt or ink on the slit glass but not in this case. I got the line to go away by opening top of scanner & cleaning optics & underside of slit glass. Lasted 2 weeks and same line is back! Stopped back yesterday and slit glass is clean.

Any ideas appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    stop unit mid process , see if the xfer belt cleaning is working, I've seen this when condensation gathers on the belt.

Comment

• tsbservice
      Field tech

Site Contributor
      5,000+ Posts
      • May 2007

Originally posted by copyman
      Hi,

Any ideas appreciated.
      Thanks in advance
      When you stopped there yesterday did it make a line even slit is clean? If it's belt cleaning it must present on prints, copy, everything engine related.
      I have few cases when dirt spot was so invisible so you can hardly believe it's there.
      A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
      Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• 3ktlc
        Trusted Tech

Site Contributor
        100+ Posts
        • Feb 2018

I had one that I had to clean the optics a couple of times before it went away for good. Drove me crazy.

Comment

• Tech09
          Trusted Tech

Site Contributor
          100+ Posts
          • Apr 2020

I used to see this a lot more on Ricohs, but it is possible for the optics mirrors to have a speck of dust or something that will leave a line. Or as said previously, it can be something on the slit glass that is just really really hard to see, black ink is good for that, can only see it if you look at the slit glass at an angle and catch it in the glare of a light.

Comment

• copyman
            Owner / Technician

Site Contributor
            2,500+ Posts
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by tsbservice
            When you stopped there yesterday did it make a line even slit is clean? If it's belt cleaning it must present on prints, copy, everything engine related.
            I have few cases when dirt spot was so invisible so you can hardly believe it's there.
            Thanks everyone for the replies. Will try all the suggestions.

Yes even after I cleaned slit glass again line was still there. Line did go away or get faint for a few copies through ADF but came right back.

I also have seen where you can't see a dot of ink or dirt unless you shine a flashlight at an angle or remove and put white paper under slit glass.

I added a picture of line. Sorry for quality I took with my phone.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by copyman; 02-01-2024, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• Markks
              Trusted Tech

Site Contributor
              VIP Subscriber
              250+ Posts
              • Feb 2018

You could have fine scratches in the slit glass and getting dirt in the scratch.

Comment

• Hansoon
                Field Supervisor

Site Contributor
                2,500+ Posts
                • Sep 2007

" Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Comment

• femaster
                  Service Manager

1,000+ Posts
                  • May 2011

I'll second the idea of a dust particle on one of the mirrors in the CCD assembly.

We've had it a couple times over the years. It can affect only the ADF, or only the scan glass, and sometimes disappear and reappear when scanning through the ADF because the CCD unit doesn't stop in the literal exact position every time it moves over to the slit glass. Even the slightest variance can move the image to a slightly different place on the mirrors where the line won't show up one one copy but will on another.
                  A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 4 years.
                  My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Comment

• copyman
                    Owner / Technician

Site Contributor
                    2,500+ Posts
                    • Sep 2005

Wanted to follow up,

Went back out to machine today. Split the scanner to get to optics and under side of slit glass (for those ever needing to do it's very easy)

Found a very small piece of lint on mirror unit. Blew it out and all good! Must of only affected scanning when using ADF and not moving.

I should have known better than to think it was something other than dirt on optics. A thin line like that when only using ADF can't be anything else but dirt!

Thanks again to all who took the time to reply.
                    Last edited by copyman; 02-03-2024, 06:37 AM.

Comment

• blackcat4866
                      Master Of The Obvious

Site Contributor
                      10,000+ Posts
                      • Jul 2007

Just for future reference:

See how the line does not pass through the edge voids? It's definitely optical in nature.

If it were a transfer belt cleaning, drum cleaning issue, or even a fuser issue, the line would pass through the edge voids. It is helpful to examine the line very closely, under magnification. Often you'll pick out a repeating defect or color that will point you toward a specific component, for example: 94mm interval = drum.

It was Sharp machines that used to drive me crazy on this. When I arrived, I did the standard cursory cleaning of optics. I disturbed a microscopic piece of lint, and then there was a line. I cleaned again, and the line moved a little. Sometimes it took 10-15 times of careful cleaning to eventually get the offending line to disappear from the image, and often I never actually saw the source.

The same thing could happen in the vicinity of the drum. A microscopic bit of lint can statically cling to the frame or the drum blade, and gently drag along the drum. Interestingly, that sort of a line will not be exactly straight, it can wiggle or wobble side to side as it responds to the drum charge. Again, you may never actually see the culprit. And it often takes several cleanings to get it to go away.

Congratulations on your success. =^..^=
                      If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
                      1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
                      2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
                      3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
                      4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
                      5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Comment

• Synthohol
                        Certified Konica Expert

Site Contributor
                        5,000+ Posts
                        • Mar 2016

just putting this here for someone else...
                        if i see a line i think is optical (does not touch end of page) i will make a 50% copy and a 150% copy.
                        if the line shrinks or enlarges with the image its definitely optical. i line up the page with the line on the glass face down and wherever the line is it gives me the +- 1" wide area of the optics to focus on.
                        We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
                        The medication helps though...

Comment

• copyman
                          Owner / Technician

Site Contributor
                          2,500+ Posts
                          • Sep 2005

Maybe I should of been more clear. I knew line was definitely optics but not knowing the machine that well thought maybe something weird with the exp led's, etc. Keep in mind I had already cleaned the optics in prior visit and line went away for a few weeks. That is why I posted here.

Thanks again

Comment

• Synthohol
                            Certified Konica Expert

Site Contributor
                            5,000+ Posts
                            • Mar 2016

you were clear, that why i lead with "putting this for someone else"
                            keep on rockin'
                            We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
                            The medication helps though...

Comment

Working...